Cameras forum

General discussion

Two questions about the Canon SD700 IS

by monalua / November 15, 2006 11:51 PM PST

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

1. This camera does not have "aperture-priority" or "shutter-priority" modes. How important is this in the grand scheme? I'm not a professional or anything, mainly take family shots and vacation shots. Are those modes something I would really need?

2. This may be a dumb question, but does this camera have a way to attach to a tripod (on the bottom)?

Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Two questions about the Canon SD700 IS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Two questions about the Canon SD700 IS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon SD700
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 16, 2006 12:06 PM PST

Sometimes people who are really into photography assume that everyone has the same passion for photography. Most people just want good photographs from their camera, and don't want to bother with learning what makes a camera tick.

1. The manual controls give you more control of the camera for those special situations. Camera makers have added "scene modes" to the cameras which makes it easier for the point-and-shoot photographers to gain some of that flexibility that manual controls offer. Now if they could just get the people to actually use those modes, they would get better photos under non-normal situations.

There are several situations where scene modes do not give enough control to the photographer:
a. action shots....shutter priority gives you the ability to set any shutter speed that the camera has to offer.
b. slow shots....example...you have seen photos of waterfalls where the water looks like it is flowing, instead of frozen in time. Shutter priority lets you select a very slow speed (several seconds) so that the water movement is blurred. (you do need a tripod to do this).
c. Portraits where the background is blurred, which makes the person stand out from the background. Aperture Priority lets you select the most open f-stop setting (usually f2.8). This causes a short depth of field and will blur the background (and foreground).
d. Shots where you want something near the camera to be just as sharp as something far from the camera. Use Aperture Priority to set the f-stop setting to its other extreme (about f11). This expands the depth of field.
e. Full Manual setting will let you select both the shutter speed and the aperture. You usually do this to use settings that the camera will not permit you to use. The camera wants you to have perfect exposure. But sometimes you don't want that, and Full Manual controls lets you work outside the box. This is very useful for long exposure nighttime shots.

But to use these manual controls you need to know more about the mechanics of photography, and understand exposure. You would need a class in photography.

If you are not that interested in learning more about photography, you will be unable to correctly use the manual controls .... so you don't need them.

But do take the time to understand and use the scene modes that are provided on your camera. You will get better shots.

2. Yes the SD700 does have a tripod socket on the bottom.
If you want those blur free shots under low light situations, do use a tripod.

Collapse -
Thank you!
by monalua / November 16, 2006 9:33 PM PST

Thanks so much for the detailed info, it is greatly appreciated! The Sony camera I have now does have some automatic settings that I have used a lot - beach, nightime, snow, etc. And I do like using it with a tripod. Sounds like the shutter and aperture modes might be too much for me without a class, so I won't worry about them. Thank you!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?