Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Two question related with win xp pro 32 bits

by er_paez47 / August 23, 2006 3:28 AM PDT

Hello Everyone,
1- how many concurrents users will win xp pro 32 bit will allow ? (what i am trying to know is if i install an application on (a machine running win xp pro 32 bit )that is server application where 20 users can use it , i would like to know if all those users will be able to run that application installed from that Machine i an trying to use this machine acting as a server but running win xp pro, since win 2003 server with 25 user licenses is to expensive for us right now ? of course i will have hardware computer capable of doing this with a dual core processor and enough memory and a fast hardrive

second question
2- I know that win xp pro 32 bit is limited to only use 3 gb of memory or just recognize 3 gb of memory and for example if the motherb of this computer use dual memory then in order to have 3 gb on this computer i have to install 4 gb(cause of the dual menory requirements), i would like to know if there any kind of trick utiltiy or whatever to allow windows xp to fully recognize 4 gb, i know xp 64 bit will allow to do that as 2003 server OS and vista too but the application that i will install won't run on xp 64 bit, 2003 and Vista, if you know of any help it is very apprecitaed, again excuse my ignorance
Thanks a lot
Ernesto

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Two question related with win xp pro 32 bits
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Two question related with win xp pro 32 bits
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
10. Link and comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 3:39 AM PDT

1. http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314882 notes the 10 connection limit for file services. However your question is not about that but...

"how many concurrents users will win xp pro 32 bit will allow ?"

If I take just that question and count terminal server (it's a scaled down version in Pro) then the count is just 2.

2. That question has some really deep answers on google.com. Have you read them? Also, since this is a 32 bit VM, some find it doesn't pay off past 1GB. What test have you done to show that you need 2 or more GB?

In closing, Linux can serve up your 20+ file connections and more for a pittance of what Windows 2003 Server costs. Not only that, but if you have a 64-bit Linux OS you can shoot the moon on the RAM.

Bob

Collapse -
hello
by anaraliyev / August 23, 2006 3:41 AM PDT

hi

about the second point.
Windows XP can and will take advantage of all the RAM you can throw at it, up to 4 GB in Home and Pro
3 gb makes no sense to me.

about the first point.
no idea. i guess as long as its not absurdly high the os will allow it.

Collapse -
4GB is problematic. Links about.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 4:00 AM PDT
In reply to: hello
Collapse -
Depends
by john_mcdoogle / August 23, 2006 5:46 AM PDT

I'm not sure if you're trying to say you want to use XP Pro to run say an Apache web server or some FTP server, or if you want different machines to be able to run a program, over the network.

So long as you don't use Windows file sharing, there shouldn't be any real limit on the number of concurrent connections you can maintain. It's a simple matter of how many connections the computer can process, which depends on its hardware.

If you're trying to install a program, such as Office, on the "server" system and let others be able to run it, over the network, on their workstations, you're going to have some problems. First of which is that Windows doesn't really support this feature. Second, it would be a license violation. Not just for Office, almost every commercial package would be subject to this.

And while Mr. Proffitt is normally spot on, I disagree with him on this one. He is quite correct, in that there's little need to go beyond 1GB for most people, but that's primarily for average users. If you're planning on using this system for some kind of server duty, more RAM could be beneficial. 3-4GB seems a tad excessive if you're only needing to handle 25 concurrent connections at a maximum, but 1.5-2GB might be more of a "sweet spot" for light server duty compared to desktop duty.

He was, however, quite correct in that you could probably use Linux or FreeBSD in place of Windows 2003 Server and save a bundle. Even if you had to hire a consultant to come in and set it all up for you, it would likely still cost considerably less than the Windows 2003 Server option. You don't really get into specifics about what kind of server(s) you want to run, so it's hard to say for sure how well Linux or FreeBSD would be able to work for you.

Collapse -
Here is what i want
by er_paez47 / August 23, 2006 6:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Depends

OK,
I already built a computer wich isa Pent D processor 960 socket 800 MHZ FSB socket 775 with 2 gib ddr2 ram and a 250 gb sata ii HD and win xp pro 32 bit installed, OK since i can not spend more money i want to find out how many workstation(or users) from a network in my office are capables to run the same application from this computer i built, the application is a server appliaction with 25 user licenses this application is a financial application the name is SBT, OK I don't think it is a ilegal issue here caus the application is a 25 users licenses all my problem is if the computer is running WIN XP PRO 32 bit, will allow others computers to access this application , since i was reading that win xp will allow only 10 concurrent users then i was saying well i have 15 users that need to access this application the whole day in fact some of them use the account payable , other users access the purchase order and so on but allthese modules are integraded into the SBT application wich is a multiuser application my whole point here is can this computer i built running windows xp pro will allow this 15 users to access the same application ? IF not what version of Linux do you recomend, there a few of them i am not sure what to choose, by the way i don't need to run any kind of ftp or anything likethat just be able to browse the internet but this computer i built will serve as a storage server and allow to run the mentioned SBT application for 15 users, so all i need to know if win xp pro will limit 15 user to connect to this machine, i hope i explained my point coorectly , please otherwise let me know, i guess i have to enable file sharing on the folder i install the SBT application
Thanks a lot waiting for anyone who wants to help
Ernesto

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?