Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Two part question

by TONI H / February 7, 2006 10:41 PM PST

I'm curious to know what you guys actually do in the way of 'entertainment' on a regular basis besides what apparently seems to be sitting at the computer streaming news headlines in from every imaginable source, mostly for the sole purpose of 'proving a point' made or bashing something political (both sides and not exclusive)? Entertainment either on or off the computer...

Second question...if streaming news stories, such as ticker tape style, are you on any kind of limited access bandwidth that you find the streaming eats into your allotted limits? This question is mainly due to one site I had recently gone to using a new satellite modem account (now cancelled because of this issue), that caused the satellite modem service to send me a nasty notice from their abuse department that I was close to reaching my MONTHLY total bandwidth and that I better cut back on my usage drastically. This was because of a streamed advertisement that continued to flow unstopped (unable to control that except to leave the site completely) for over 24 hours (I had left the site but the next day went back and the ad was still running continuously).

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Two part question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Two part question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No streaming... no broadband...
by EdH / February 7, 2006 11:21 PM PST
In reply to: Two part question

I do use RSS feeds of Cnn ands Goofgle News though.

First question- a bunch of stuff, but I need to get away from the computer.

Collapse -
Now, let's see.........
by Mac McMullen / February 7, 2006 11:30 PM PST

The first question...entertainment...I go out into public for morning coffee, be seated at a corner table with friends, and observe as "people" flow in and out. The most obtrusive, silly, noisy, inconsiderate, argumentative, "me first" creatures on the face of the earth. You see it here at SE. No matter what you say, or how you say it, you are either misunderstood or considered a member of the "other" political camp.

Then I return home, am met by my four footed best friend, and things seem alright again.

As to the second item, have never experienced anything along those lines. As I finish a "session" everything is closed out, and the desktop returned. Contact with the ourside world is locked out. No "PUSH" allowed.

Collapse -
Streaming news headlines....
by Angeline Booher / February 8, 2006 12:58 AM PST

.... moves too fast for me to read.

I listen to my local morning news, and if something interesting crops up there, I'll post it. (I have already listened to the call-in show on C-SPAN, but those are not linkable.) Then I usually go to CNN and check it out. They now have what they call "Pipeline", where one can watch live events, speeches and hearings. But I don't think of this as entertainment, but just staying up on current events.

My entertainment is watching favorite TV shows and a few movies on cable, and walking my dog.

My cable provider does not have bandwidth limits issues.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
CNN Pipeline
by TONI H / February 8, 2006 1:07 AM PST

was something I was very interested in being able to access until I got that abuse notice from my prior satellite modem service and realized anything that streamed in like that would use up my monthly allowance pretty quickly. My Starband satellite service has no limitations (only restrictions such as P2P sites which you would expect anyhow) and I was happy I had never cancelled the service once I was 'trying out' the other one that I cancelled.

TONI

Collapse -
Two part question
by IanC_OZ / February 8, 2006 8:48 AM PST

Hi Toni,

Entertainment:
~~ painting walls and ceilings
~~ many similar home maintenance activities

~~ trimming and twining bamboo, to create well grown and entertainingly shaped poles for use in shade walls.

~~ I now have about 5,000 electronic books. Reading has been a major time involvement for about 48 years now.

~~ watching movies at home with the family. (Did you transfer all 2,500 of those video tapes to DVD?)

** Advertising **

I don't use ticker tape, preferring email. However, the CNET screen into which I am typing has a series of advertisements which scroll through, about every 1.5 seconds. I do not know whether downbloating is involved or otherwise.

I wish the person who designed the handyman ad, with its excessive brightness variations affecting my ability to read the screen, was taken out and shot.

Anyway,

all the best

Ian
clarky
IanC/OZ

Collapse -
Entertainment
by Steven Haninger / February 8, 2006 9:14 AM PST

Well, I prefer to call it recreation. Mostly just like to keep busy with yardwork and gardening. Dirt is fun. Also like to tinker with anything that's broken...been doing that since very young. Today it's a challenge maintaining those fine motor skills and even just keeping all my joints from locking up like a cranky PC. I watch little TV..maybe Jeopardy or something educational as long as it's not over an hour. I do have lots of music and will listen while web surfing sometimes. I have broadband (cable) but nothing streaming. Nothing is allowed to dance and play on my PC without asking nicely....even any programs that auto-update have to say "please" first. My PC is the only thing I am master of anymore since a woman came around 30 some years ago. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I like recreation as a descriptive too :-)
by Evie / February 8, 2006 12:17 PM PST
In reply to: Entertainment
Collapse -
Reply:
by Paul C / February 8, 2006 9:46 AM PST

1. I read - voraciously. I also have a job and (blessedly) a wife - and pillow talk's a great way to spend time... Devil

2. Dialup here (for now), so streaming services aren't my thing. Cable news (all of them) will have to do for now.

Collapse -
Entertainment:
by drpruner / February 8, 2006 9:52 AM PST

News junkie.
Bible study.
Science reading.

Haven't had 'net at home for some time. We dropped it for economic reasons and now are waiting for the right time to get broadband, now available in our area. I do all this SE stuff from the local Univ. campus which has free T1 service and adequate numbers of terminals. (I can come in during off-peak hours.)
Not sure what you mean by "streaming news". I don't use RSS, I just drop in on BBC, CNN and others when I can and sometimes post a story that might add to an existing thread. Less often I start one myself with a news item.

Broadband caps:
I've heard of such things; it's not just your provider.

Collapse -
Not much here:)
by Glenda / February 8, 2006 1:29 PM PST

Jim and I watch Y&R & B&B when he is home, we watch movies at home, and we go out to eat! Most of my entertainment is on the PC, We do listen to music quite often.
DSL here and no limits on time.
As April said, We are boring old farts! LOL

Collapse -
Recreation
by Sasha Tee / February 9, 2006 5:02 AM PST

Hi Toni,
My husband and I go to Atlantic City about once a week and that's also where we have our occasional get-aways. We live less than an hour away so it's too darn convenient! I enjoy reading novels and spend way too much time on the computer playing Pogo games and reading news and newsletters. I try to exercise with treadmill, gazelle and bike for an hour or so a day to make up for all the time spent sitting at the computer. Bandwidth isn't an issue with Comcast broadband.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?