Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Two new news stories to whet your appetite for Canada.

by Ziks511 / December 14, 2004 7:09 AM PST

A girl, best known for handing out watermelon slices free to the frequenters of Wreck Beach, a popular nude beach in Vancouver, British Columbia, has been arrested for selling pot laced ginger snap cookies. Two RCMP drugs-squad officers approached the girl known as "Watermelon" and claimed to be glaucoma patients. She either gave or sold them her "Ginger Snap Cookies with extra Snap" and was promptly arrested. The arrest was complicated slightly by the fact that she was stark naked at the time, it being a nude beach after all.

In a related story the owners of an Amsterdam-style pot coffee house have also been arrested in Vancouver and charged with trafficking. Both arrestees were quite good humored about the arrests, although the coffee house proprietors are quite apprehensive because trafficking can carry serious sentencing time with it.

I am somewhat conflicted over this situation. On the one hand the people involved are not your usual low-lifes, on the other hand, despite my own modest use of marijuana in my past, I am not a fan of messing up your neurons even with alcohol, and have explained it just that way to my son (who shows no signs of interest in either pot or alcohol). On the third hand I am not fond of prohibiting things that are already commonplace. So having run out of hands I turn the discussion over to you.

Rob B

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Two new news stories to whet your appetite for Canada.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Two new news stories to whet your appetite for Canada.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi Rob
by MKay / December 14, 2004 7:27 AM PST

I hope your tale of Watermellon isn't recent, with the weather and all. I loke the way you tt your son concerning the relevant issues. And I never saw how making these practices illegal ever helped.

Collapse -
Thanks Mary Kay, I think the nude beach arrest must have
by Ziks511 / December 14, 2004 7:50 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Rob

been this summer, she didn't look that cold LOLOL.

We talk with Robbie about everything, to the point that he takes us to task for being overly protective and telling him things he already knows. Fortunately he isn't the type to roll his eyes too much and snap, "I know, DAD. You TOLD me already."

Nancy and I spend a lot of time looking at each other and saying, "Well we must have done SOMETHING right" in a slightly astonished tone.

I'm reminded of what one of the senior kids at the annual Classics conference Robbie and Nancy and I attended two years ago said to his mother when she told him that the staff at the University holding the conference were very impressed with how polite all the kids were(400 highschool kids from southern Ontario). He said "Of COURSE we're polite Mom, we're all Classics nerds."

Rob B

Collapse -
If you don't approve
by Dan McC / December 14, 2004 11:11 PM PST

don't do it. It's a pretty good policy. Let other people decide for themselves.

Dan

Collapse -
Any photos of Watermelon's arrest?
by EdH / December 14, 2004 11:52 PM PST

I'd like to know if the name's a double-entendre.

Collapse -
Here's a link to her website
by Josh K / December 15, 2004 12:11 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Arrest a career move?!
by EdH / December 15, 2004 12:19 AM PST
Collapse -
What a disgraceful site, Josh!
by Dan McC / December 15, 2004 2:10 AM PST

And such low bandwidth.

Wink

Dan

Collapse -
"He knows ...
by MarciaB / December 15, 2004 2:14 AM PST

... when you've been bad or good, so be good for goodness sake!

Oh!

You better watch out ..."

Grin

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) "Its as Groovy as a 10cent movie"......;-)
by John Robie / December 15, 2004 5:53 AM PST
Collapse -
Learn something every day. Didn't know
by John Robie / December 15, 2004 5:55 AM PST

watermelons grew in Canada.
Happy
JR

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Pamela Anderson (Canadian)
by JP Bill / December 15, 2004 9:30 AM PST
Collapse -
Oops, I'm kinda embarassed. I had no idea she was
by Ziks511 / December 15, 2004 6:50 AM PST

approaching legal funding in such a...uhhh... creative way.

And I thought it would have been obvious that, having handed out watermelon slices at the beach, her nick-name had become... or am I stepping on someones joke.

Rob

Collapse -
Not sympathetic...
by dirtyrich / December 15, 2004 10:38 AM PST

They broke the law and as such should be arrested. Simple enough.
As for the "fairness" of the law, I think it should be illegal. Marijuana use is not a simple case of "what other people do doesn't matter to me." Just like other drugs, it can impare judgement and one's self-control, and legalization would lead to a significant increase in accidents and other crimes.
Rationalizing legalization with the argument that alcohol is legal is foolish. By comparing marijuana to alcohol marijuana supporters weaken their own stances...one glance at the harms that alcohol does to society provides enough reason to keep marijuana illegal.
As for the medical or therapeutic uses of marijuana, I actually do not mind that application, but believe it should be controlled as substances like codeine, morphine, etc, to prevent illegitimate use of it. Research should be encouraged into the active subtsances within marijuana, to develop more potent and more specific drugs to ease symptoms in patients.
Just my two cents, or maybe more like 317 cents.

Collapse -
Foolish or consistent?
by Dan McC / December 15, 2004 11:37 PM PST
In reply to: Not sympathetic...

Would you argue that alcohol and marijuana should receive similar legal treatment since the effects are similar?

Dan

Collapse -
Unfortunately,
by dirtyrich / December 16, 2004 7:24 AM PST
In reply to: Foolish or consistent?

alcohol has become such a deep-rooted component of our society, and the law must treat alcohol and marijuana differently. Alcohol should be tightly regulated, though, as it is currently, but possibly with more emphasis on actual enforcement.
Marijuana, on the other hand, is not an integrated component of our society currently, and with vigorous campaigns to prevent its growth, transport, and abuse, I believe that it's influence on our society can be effectively limited.
As for alcohol and marijuana leading to other crimes, they should be treated the same in that regard, a person knowingly handicaps their judgement and skills when they take such substances.
One evil is enough, we don't need another.

Collapse -
I must disagree
by Dan McC / December 16, 2004 11:42 PM PST
In reply to: Unfortunately,

Rational consistency must be the goal of any legal system. If laws are based on 'oh, we've always done that' then they deserve the capricious disregard that their enacting embodied.

Dan

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.