Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

two Network Interface cards in one PC

by chumbari / July 17, 2006 12:03 PM PDT

My office PC is connected to a network managed by a server.this network connects my PC to other departments of our company but not connected to other PCs in our department. Could I create another network for my PC by installing an additional Network Interface Card. Could my PC handle two networks at a time?

Arnel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: two Network Interface cards in one PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: two Network Interface cards in one PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There are...
by PKsteven / July 17, 2006 4:55 PM PDT

many unanswered questions here, first, do you have permission to do so? Second, who are you going to connect to?
NOTE:If not connected to the computers, the admin must have a reason.

Just a breif expl, even if you had another nic, each other pc would need the same, plus wireless or wired configuration and be in a (workgroup), not server type network. This may add up in price not to mention your having permission to do so. My answer may be a bit scrambled here but I can't see someone in a work environment being able to do this at work unless you are the admin which I doubt since the admin would know this answer already. Lucy, you goss some splainin ta do.

Paul

Collapse -
Before transmission
by chuck464646 / July 18, 2006 7:38 PM PDT
In reply to: There are...

The first step in transmission is the communication between the personal computer and the network interface card. There are three ways to move data between the PC's memory to the network interface card: I/O, direct memory access, and shared memory. As posted by Paul give us more explanation on your domain scenario.

Regards
Britto

Collapse -
connections specs
by chumbari / July 19, 2006 10:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Before transmission

My computer is connected to the server thru a network interface card (NIC) using a CAT-5 (UTP) cable. Due to the reason that it has only one NIC, it is connected only to main network that connects other departments. It is not connected to the networks inside our office. Supposing that I would be allowed by the administration to connect my PC to the network inside our office, could I just add an additional card and hook my pc to the other network? could my pc hook to the two networks simultaneously?

Thanks for the reply.

Collapse -
My take..
by PKsteven / July 19, 2006 1:52 PM PDT
In reply to: connections specs

if the Admin wanted you connected to the other pcs, you would be allowed to do so through the server. Every pc would need an extra nic, and wiring, quite costly.

Paul

Collapse -
Two Networks
by colbox98 / July 20, 2006 2:01 AM PDT

I agree with the other posts. I think you are asking the wrong question here. The question is why is your network configured the way it is?

Your company probably has a reason. They may want people to all be sharing things centrally on the server, and hence there would be no need to have access to other PC's in your department. If you need access to other PC's in your area, you would have to work with your network administrator to setup the proper permissions and etc.

To answer your question though, yes, a PC can have two network cards and connect to different areas. It is sort of like making a router out your computer, people do it all the time. But again you will run into problems with permissions, domains, and other technical issues.

I suppose it is possible (although unlikely) that your computer is on one network, and for some reason the rest of your department is on another. If this is the case you would still have to figure out why things are set up this way, and there must be some reason. It is a little hard to tell from your post exactly what the scenario is, and why you need access to other machines in your department.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.