Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Two mysterious problems

by mbd33 / March 3, 2010 10:09 AM PST

Neither is serious, but I'm obsessive about everything on the computer working like it should. And I have no idea what could be causing these problems. I am running Vista Home Premium.

1.) CNN video is choppy with IE8. The same video is smooth with Firefox and Opera browsers. In IE, it's a jerky mess. It's choppy both in a smaller window and in full screen mode. I have a minimum number of add-ons installed with IE so I don't think it's an add-on issue. I tried reverting back to IE7 and it was still choppy, so it is not an issue with IE8. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Flash, still choppy. Other video sites such as Youtube, MSNBC, etc. run smooth. Is there a specific issue with CNN's player and IE?

2.) The Intel Driver Update Utility won't download in either Firefox or Opera, but will download in IE. It just says "Loading" forever and never downloads. It says that if you have a problem to make sure you have the latest Java installed, and I have the latest Java installed. I have even uninstalled and reinstalled the latest Java. And Java seems to work fine with everything but this one thing. Is it a problem with the website? Can anyone else download the utility using Firefox? I have also tried turning off Firefox pop-up blocker to no avail. "Enable Javascript" is checkmarked.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Two mysterious problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Two mysterious problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The Intel Driver Update Utility won't download in either Fir
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2010 11:22 AM PST

The Intel Driver Update Utility won't download in either Firefox or Opera

I use IE when I see that.
Bob

Collapse -
Intel Driver Update Utility
by mbd33 / March 3, 2010 11:26 AM PST

Yes it downloads in IE but it's also supposed to download in Firefox. As I said, it's not a serious issue, more an OCD on my part.

Collapse -
How would you get Intel to fix that?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2010 12:04 PM PST

Sorry but I can only share how I dealt with this one. Maybe a Mozilla bug report is next?

Collapse -
CNN Video
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 4, 2010 4:36 AM PST

CNN videos should not be choppy, whatever browser you use. I have just tried playing videos from http://www.cnn.com/video/ and they work smoothly in my IE 8, (I'm in the UK, not that it makes any difference).

So, if those videos work well in both Opera and Firefox, but not in IE, then the finger gets pointed at your IE 8.

You say you have minimal IE add-ons, but it is possible that one of them is causing a problem. The add-ons that IE 'can' use are BHOs, (Browser Helper Objects), ActiveX, and 3rd party toolbars, eg Google, Yahoo, etc. Either poorly written add-ons, or those planted by malware writers can affect a browser.

There's no easy method to check unfortunately. You can try the elimination test, that is, choose a method to disable them and re-test, or the IE "No add-ons" test. In Start > All programs > Accessories > System tools, there is an "IE (No add-ons)" option, a bit like IE in Safe Mode. You could try that, but since the CNN videos site likely needs a plugin, that will probably fail The web site will load, but no videos will play.

Then there is the "Reset button". A last resort, this is available in the Advanced tab of IE's Tools > Internet Options. This will remove all add-ons, but will also remove favorites, history, cookies, and any password/login details that IE stores. Favorites can be exported before using this, then re-imported afterwards, but none of the others can.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
choppy video
by mbd33 / March 4, 2010 8:08 AM PST
In reply to: CNN Video

I have no toolbars enabled. I've tried disabling every active plugin (and even some inactive ones) to no avail. I've tried resetting IE to no avail. I've also recently noticed the same choppiness with movie trailers on IMDB. It's like the videos run at a lower framerate, like they're regularly dropping frames. What could cause this in IE besides an addon?

Collapse -
choppy video
by mbd33 / March 4, 2010 12:43 PM PST
In reply to: choppy video

The video in the flash ad before the CNN video plays smooth, but then the main video plays choppy. What would cause one to be choppy but not the other?

Collapse -
Hmm. I'm stumped.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 4, 2010 6:59 PM PST
In reply to: choppy video

The fact that the introductory advert plays smoothly suggests that IE is working properly.

But then, if the news article video goes choppy, that suggests a 'streaming' problem, that is, the video stream is either being constantly interrupted, or the speed of the download drops significantly. But why a download speed drop would happen in IE and not in Firefox or Opera escapes me.

This has to be a problem with your IE. Can you return to "Tools > Manage Add-ons", and in the 'Addon Types' column in the left hand side check what each type of add-on has. I'm interested in "Search providers" and Accelerators". My IE only has the one default search provider, "Live search". Does your IE have more?

In my IE I have 4 Accelerators, Blog, (with Windows live), Email, (with WL), Map, (with Live search), and Translate, (with Live search). I don't use IE so I do not use these accelerators. Do you have accelerators? If so, which ones?

The question is, is anything interrupting the stream?

Also, back at the CNN.com web site in IE 8, when a video is playing, can you right click the video display and tell us what Adobe Flash version is installed? For the same web site in IE mine shows "About Adobe Flash Player 10".

Mark

Collapse -
choppy video
by mbd33 / March 4, 2010 11:26 PM PST
In reply to: Hmm. I'm stumped.

Hmm...

I removed all of the accelerators. I also had "yahoo search" and removed that just now. Still choppy. I don't think it is a streaming problem because it downloads very fast. It's always the same choppiness even after the entire video is downloaded.

As for other add ons, my only currently active add ons while watching the video are Shockwave Flash, Adobe PDF Link Helper, XML Dom Document and Java Plug-In 2 SSV Helper. I've tried disabling all of them except Flash and with the same results. It doesn't make sense.

Collapse -
flash version
by mbd33 / March 5, 2010 12:43 AM PST

Using the latest Flash... 10.0.45.2

Collapse -
Well, it's getting difficult now.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 5, 2010 4:04 AM PST
In reply to: flash version

You've tried everything I can think of, except an uninstall and reinstall of Flash. I know you said in your first post that you did that, but we often suggest a different way of doing it.

Goto http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html and download and run Adobes dedicated Flash uninstaller. Make sure all browsers are closed before running.

Reboot the computer, (restart it), to ensure all relevant registry entries are updated, then revisit Adobe at http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ to reinstall the Flash player.

A couple of notes:

1] You will probably have to revisit that Adobe Flash 'install' page for each browser to get it to install the plugin for each.

2] Beware That install page offers add-ons for the browser. For Opera and Firefox it offers a McAfee scanner, and for IE it offers a Google toolbar. Assuming you don't want those additions, be sure to "de-select" the options within the web page before downloading the installer file for each browser.

If that fails to resolve the IE 8 problem with CNN, then that's it. We sometimes have to accept that not all browsers work with all web sites, and use alternatives. My IE 8 does work with that news web site, but that doesn't really prove much, except my configurations are different to yours. I'm sure we could find web sites where the reverse is true.

Good luck with this, and let us know how you get on.

Mark

Collapse -
thanks anyway for the help
by mbd33 / March 5, 2010 6:25 AM PST

It's not really a big deal since I use Firefox anyways. I am just a little obsessive about things functioning like they should in a logical manner. When my computer seems to defy logic then I can't help exploring the reasons why.

In this case I should probably just give up. Maybe some future update will take care of it anyway.

Collapse -
Something else
by angrydog2 / December 27, 2011 11:56 PM PST

Just out of curiosity, see if moving the mouse over the choppy video makes a difference. I have XP, IE8 and Flash 11, same issue. I have not found a solution after many months, so have switched to chrome, which works fine. The only oddity I can find, is that when mousing over, the video does not pause, so it's like a screen refresh issue.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!