Storage forum

General discussion

Two Maxtor External HD's on Same Computer?

by shamrock838 / April 14, 2009 1:25 PM PDT

Two Maxtor External HD?s on Same Computer?

I already have a Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus (500GB) External HD that?s hooked up to my Dell Vostro 420 Desktop and operates under Windows Vista Business. It works fine and is recognized as:
Disk Management: - OneTouch 4
Device Manager: - Maxtor OneTouch USB Device.

I want to install an additional Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus (1000GB) External HD in the same computer. Would there be a possible conflict re device names, since the 500GB and 1000GB HD?s might possibly have the same name? Or would the 1000GB HD display a different device name to differentiate it from the 500GB HD?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Two Maxtor External HD's on Same Computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Two Maxtor External HD's on Same Computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Should be no problem . . .
by Coryphaeus / April 14, 2009 11:31 PM PDT

as Windows will assign a different drive letter. With a different drive letter, names don't matter. And if you're concerned about the drive name, just change it. That's too easy.

Collapse -
Should not be in conflict, and...
by ahtoi / April 15, 2009 4:42 AM PDT

I usually label the partitions so that I know which is which.

Collapse -
Nope and you have nearly
by Dango517 / April 24, 2009 6:45 PM PDT

every letter in the alphabet to choose from and more. (Hmmm, are A and B available?) The important thing is those drive letters. What you call your drive(s), what you name it is up to you. Mostly this name is for human reference the machine uses them very little.

Collapse -
Two Maxtor External Drives on Same Computer?
by shamrock838 / April 24, 2009 10:48 PM PDT

To all,

Thanks for your copllective input.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.