The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Two Macbook Pro questions:

by Jasmes / April 9, 2006 9:35 AM PDT

- How can I ensure that the Macbook I get will be the latest revision with all the hardware tweaks? Will any Macbook I get be the latest version?

- Does anyone have benchmarks of the 1.83 vs. 2.0 models? Is it worth going for the extra speed?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Two Macbook Pro questions:
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Two Macbook Pro questions:
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
answer
by skrillet / April 9, 2006 11:19 AM PDT

Well, buying a MacBook Pro now, it will, of course, become old in a few months. It is the going on the fourth month sence the release, and Apple re-releases (small tweaks) on its computers (just) about every 6 months or so. So if your anxious, just go ahead, the update will be very minor (considering that it is a brand new product, not an ageing one).

As for buying a 1.83 vs 2.0, the specs don't lie, a processor is a processor (especailly a Core Duo vs a Core Duo (not G4 vs. G5, say). IF you were to buy a 2.0, not only would you gain the speed (minor) but you would gain some more features, such as twice (1GB) the RAM, and twice the video memory, and a 20GB bigger hard drive. So you decide if its worth the extra $500, (i say, if you've got the $$ (and its not needed for anything else) then why not?!)

Collapse -
I was specifially refering to the latest tweaks, ie:
by Jasmes / April 9, 2006 12:11 PM PDT
In reply to: answer

The anti-screen whirring, running hot, etc.

There were a few posts on /. and digg recently about them.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) -2
by oarsum / April 9, 2006 10:10 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ...?
by Jasmes / April 10, 2006 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) -2
Collapse -
No easy answer
by MacHugger / April 9, 2006 11:35 AM PDT

I would think you may have to wait a month or so until current inventory purges. You may be able to go to your local Apple store and tell them that one very serious condition of your purchase is that the serial number must have been assigned after a certain date.

As for picking the the 2.0 over the 1.83, the processor isn't even a 9% difference in speed. So you need to decide if you feel the larger hard drive. double the RAM and marginal speed bump is worth the extra money. That's also balanced by the fact that your battery will last longer and your laptop will run cooler with the 1.83. Tough decision.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Any idea how to read the serial number?
by Jasmes / April 9, 2006 12:16 PM PDT
In reply to: No easy answer
Collapse -
Anwer
by pkscout / April 9, 2006 11:29 PM PDT

Go to ABOUT THIS MAC and then click the MORE INFO button. That brings up System Profiler with the hardware overview. The serial number is on that page.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) that is kind of pointless, since you have to buy it fir
by Ravensblood / April 10, 2006 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Anwer
Collapse -
True but
by MacHugger / April 10, 2006 5:25 AM PDT

in an Apple store (if one is near you) you can simply tell the sales person that before you purchase it, you need to boot it up and see the serial number. It's also quite probable it is somewhere on the box. They need to be able to keep track of these things somehow.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
Serial numbers are indeed on the boxes...
by barret55 / April 10, 2006 5:46 AM PDT
In reply to: True but

... as well as the MAC address of the network cards (a very handy feature for those keeping inventory, like myself).

-Terry

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Where exactly on the box?
by Jasmes / April 10, 2006 11:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
Should be a white label on a side of the box
by rtemp / April 10, 2006 11:35 AM PDT

Unless Apple has changed things on me.

-Ryan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks
by Jasmes / April 11, 2006 7:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
Besides
by pkscout / April 10, 2006 6:16 AM PDT

I thought MacHugger was asking because he already had one and wanted to see if it was new. Sorry 'bout that.

Collapse -
I didn't even consider
by Ravensblood / April 10, 2006 11:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Besides

that the serial #'s were on the box though. my bad. but obviously opening something in the store makes it not "new" anymore, and they can't do that.

Collapse -
Build to order
by Ravensblood / April 10, 2006 12:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
2.16 is overkill for me...
by Jasmes / April 10, 2006 4:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Build to order

I'll just order a 1.83 off the Apple online store and hope for the best I guess.

Collapse -
This may be the way to go
by MacHugger / April 10, 2006 5:27 AM PDT

Actually, Jasmes, I think this build-to-order plan may be a way to help ensure you get the latest hardware. If they have to piece your machine together, they likely won't just be grabbing a box that's been sitting on their shelves for several months and kick it out the door.

Just maybe change one thing about your order - like bump up to a larger or faster hard disk.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
Good grief, the upgrades are expensive
by Jasmes / April 10, 2006 5:30 AM PDT

90 bucks for a 512 meg ram chip! O_o

Collapse -
It's never quite as cheap as elsewhere
by MacHugger / April 10, 2006 5:55 AM PDT

Yeah, usually I go with less RAM and then order more from a place like MacSolutions. Their "no-name brand" 1GB board is $99 and their Samsung DDR2 is $189. Probably a little bit of labor is tacked onto the Apple price.

-Kevin S.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?