General discussion

Two Issues with new Compaq Presario

I have 2 two-week old Presario Model # of mine is: Compaq Presario CQ61-411WM Notebook PC. Mine is the one with major issues. There are several threads about this but I cannot find specific help with my type. My puter was fine until one morning I turned it on, everything powered up like normal but then shut right back off and would not respond again; no lcd lights, nothing. It didn't matter whether it was on battery (fully charged) or adapter. HP Support was no help. What should I do? Also my daughter's touchpad is not working right. When she powers up and clicks on her username everything's fine. But after she's logged on she can only scroll up and down but to click on anything she has to use the left clicker thingee. Sorry, I'm not very technical. Please help. Thank you very much.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Two Issues with new Compaq Presario
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Two Issues with new Compaq Presario
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
At 2 weeks.

This is like a new car. Most of us will not take a new car to our mechanic but back to the dealer or maker.

I strongly suggest you exercise the warranty.

- Collapse -
At Two Weeks

LOL. Believe me I did. I have spent countless hours on the phone with HP Tech Support fighting over this issue. My choices are to take it apart myself or mail it in. I'm not comfortable doing either one because I am not a computer wiz nor am I confident that my personal information; ie: financial, stored passwords, etc. will not be compromised by sending it in. Also I have certain stuff that is going to be lost in that hard drive when it's wiped clean. I tried to do a back up and restore and the thing wouldn't let me. I want to get it powered up long enough to delete all of my stuff and then return it. Can you help me? Thank you.Happy

- Collapse -
Taking to to your support counter is an option?

Hope the following helps or take it to those that do this work.

Yes I could write about removing the hard drive to put into some USB case to get access to the files but that may not be acceptable or you may not comfortable with that.

Look up DBAN on google and see if just wiping it clean will do.

-> This is all about backups. This lesson repeats hourly that we must not leave our sole copy of the files we can't lose on these machines. Do try The LaCie Miracle I wrote about at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7588_102-0.html?threadID=354911&tag=forums06;forum-threads to see if recovery is possible.
Bob

- Collapse -
Taking to to your support counter is an option?

Thanks for the input. I'm not quite sure what you mean by taking it to my support counter. I don't really know what that is.lol I am going to wait until after the holiday weekend and call Webroot to see how to get that off of it and then call HP support back and 'hopefully' they will walk me thru the steps to reseat it. That's what they said I should do. If I can get my Webroot info off of it, then I don't care about anything else. You see I have a paid plan with Webroot for all three of our puters and that is one of them. I want it off of that one and transferred to a different one. Just want to make sure that it's not wiped out when I do this 'fixing'. That's my main concern. Do you know anything about why my daughter's touchpad is acting wonky? Thanks again very much for your help.

- Collapse -
Do you know anything about why my daughter's touchpad is act

CNET Forums

Forum Info