Mac Desktops forum

General discussion

two iMac G5 annoyances

by timbreana / August 21, 2009 11:40 AM PDT

My two current iMac annoyances are:

1) When I insert an audio CD the player into my iMac's superdrive (Matshita DVD-R UJ-846) it initially revs up with a fair amount of noise, but because this is very short it's tolerable. Then it comes up in iTunes and I can start play by clicking one of the tracks. However, if I stop it later and restart it, the "rev up" noise comes on again and STAYS ON -- very annoying. The only way to stop it is to eject the disk and start it up from scratch again.

2) Previous models (e.g., iMac G3) sported a mic/line external input. The G5 only has a external line input. (So does my MacBook.) Does any company provide a cheap, small audio preamp that I can use with my headset?

Otherwise I love my Mac.

Jim B

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: two iMac G5 annoyances
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: two iMac G5 annoyances
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
On the second subject
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 22, 2009 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: two iMac G5 annoyances

all the versions of the iMac G4 have a headphone/optical digital audio out port and an audio line in port.

or did I miss something?

The CD player, with a limited life expectancy, I would look around for a replacement superdrive for that machine. You might try macsales.com.

Installation is real easy on the iMac G5.

P

Collapse -
Re: two iMac G5 annoyances (aka On the second subject)
by timbreana / August 22, 2009 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: On the second subject

>all the versions of the iMac G4 have a headphone/optical digital audio out port and an audio line in port.

You mean G5, right? I have an iMac G5.

>or did I miss something?

Yes. What I'm lacking is the means for an external microphone input, which was available on the iMac G3. I need a small and cheap preamp gadget to make up for the G5's lack of a built-in preamp. Note that most Intel PCs have separate external mic preamps.

>The CD player, with a limited life expectancy, I would look around for a replacement superdrive for >that machine. You might try macsales.com.
>
>Installation is real easy on the iMac G5.

Thanks for the suggestion. My drive seems to work OK except for the noise that happens under certain situations, so so far I am living with it.

Jim B

Collapse -
Yep, I meant G5
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 22, 2009 5:03 AM PDT

I have the Intel version of the iMac and decided to with the USB headset and mic.

I used Logitech.

Sorry about the mixup

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.