Storage forum

General discussion

Two Devices on a Single Firewire Kit ?

by nabeelimran / June 16, 2006 11:03 PM PDT

Hi Everyone,
I want to connect an 80 GB Samsung HDD and a Sony Combo Drive via a Single External Hard Drive Kit (that has a firewire port connectivity option),
I have tried making the HDD Master and the Combo Slave, but it didnt work,
I have tried running both as masters, didnt work either,
I have tried googling for it but couldnt find the solution,
Can anyone tell me if it is possible and how ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Two Devices on a Single Firewire Kit ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Two Devices on a Single Firewire Kit ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I found works.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2006 11:56 PM PDT

One firewire port to the first firewire box and then daisy out to the next.

One firewire port to the firewire hub and then to the two firewire boxes.

This is all on the Mac. I've found Firewire connected hard disks on the PC to inexplicably erase themselves (many cases, many people) so I'll not talk about this setup on the PC. There are some that think it works so let's let them use it.

Collapse -
I Beg To Differ...
by nabeelimran / June 17, 2006 3:06 AM PDT
In reply to: What I found works.

i am using my HDD on a firewire-connected external kit for the last six months and have been fortunate enough to not have had any mishaps.
and i am sorry but i didnt get your point, i have a Dell Latitude C840 and i only have one 400 Firewire port on it. although i do have two 800 firewire ports on the external kit. could you please explain again.

thanks for the reply.

Collapse -
If said drive housing has 2 ports...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2006 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: I Beg To Differ...

It's likely so you can daisy chain units.

As to reliability on the PC platform, if it works for you but given the dozens of times it went missing at the office and other places I'll not use firewire for drives on the Windows OS.

Best of continued luck,

Collapse -
by nabeelimran / June 17, 2006 3:14 PM PDT

there is a problem with that, the kit only has one IDE slot. although i have tried using a two-connector IDE connecting cable (to connect both the devices to the IDE slot in the kit at the same time) they still dont work at the same time. i have to pull out the power cable from one of them to make the other work.

Collapse -
This sounds like you are trying to ..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2006 10:35 PM PDT
In reply to: But...

Put 2 drives on a firewire to IDE controller card. I've seen this supported in only rare boards. Certainly you are welcome to try it but if you look around such is not supported. Fix? Get a second firewire to ide card/box and install that.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?