Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Two broadband modems on one line, illegal? My story...

by DaveZR1 / July 17, 2008 9:28 AM PDT

I live in a one family house that is split from the upstairs and downstairs. It is an illegal setup. Everything in the house is connected (like a regular one family house would be). My brother, me, and roommate all live upstairs, while two other people live downstairs. Again, there are no separate boxes for both floors. Anyway, getting to the point, when I first moved in I ordered basic cable and high speed internet from Comcast. Obviously, since we have cable upstairs, they have it downstairs as well.

It really didn't bother me that they were leeching off my cable, but then they started leeching off my internet as well. Without my knowledge. I eventually logged into my router and discovered that they were attached to it. That pissed me off. They don't pay for any of that. They can have cable, that's my gift to them, but using my internet as well is something else. I ended up blocking their internet access with MAC address filtering and a 128 bit encryption.

A few days later they call Comcast down and get their own box and cable modem. My downstairs neighbor wanted his own box so he could have some of the On-Demand stuff. They wanted internet access as well. My brother tells me of all this and I end up checking my router's attached devices and there they are. Are they still leeching off my connection? I'm guessing the cable guy added more splitters for them to get internet access.

This doesn't make sense to me. Won't Comcast see two cable bills going to the same house? Again, the house is not legally split up into two apartments. If I were to cancel my cable, it would probably shut off their cable as well. The same might be said for their internet, if I were to cancel my internet access, they might lose it as well.

Is it possible that I might get billed for what they did downstairs? I don't understand how they could get a separate bill for a one family house, or even how they got Comcast down there in the first place. They would've had to give Comcast information about where they live. Wouldn't Comcast see the address and see that there is already cable and internet there? Wouldn't they have to contact me first? Since I am the one who pays the bill. I need some help on this.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Two broadband modems on one line, illegal? My story...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Two broadband modems on one line, illegal? My story...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So is this connection via WIFI?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2008 10:26 AM PDT

If so why isn't the wifi setup per our forum sticky?

Collapse -
(NT) Is there a good reason not to call Comcast about this??
by Steven Haninger / July 17, 2008 9:08 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.