Question

Two AMD laptops, which one for basic needs?

I am trying to get a laptop for my brother that he will use for just basic needs. He recently bought and Acer laptop which came with the new AMD E-350 processor for $400. I was not sure about that processor and read up on it and saw that it is a new processor from 2011. His laptop comes with the
AMD e-350
500gb hard drive
15.6" led lcd
AMD Radeon HD 6310
4GB Ram
6-cell battery

I looked online and came across a Lenovo Ideapad. This one is $380 and comes with
AMD Phenom N660
320GB hard drive
15.6 led lcd
AMD Radeon HD 4270
3gb RAM
6-cell battery

His is a "AMD Vision" while the Lenovo is a "AMD Vision Premium"

So he basically just needs it to browse the web, having a few tabs/windows open, watching movies, maybe simple gaming, using Office, that sort of things. Which one would be recommended the most?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Two AMD laptops, which one for basic needs?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Two AMD laptops, which one for basic needs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Both meet the goal it seems.

While I can't find any model numbers, both appear to be the usual 2 year value laptop.
Bob

- Collapse -
how about this gateway?

I found this gateway which seems to be better than the the other too. Gateway NV53A75u

- Collapse -
Price is price.

Moves too fast for me.

But as to machine speed, I use google to find reviews on Cnet as well as notebookcheck.com and then can put those numbers on paper for a comparison.

Just so there is clarity, that work is for you to do. There are no paid staff here to do that. Yes I'll give a nod and short reason when there is a clear winner but here it seems to be all about the price. All of these will get on the internet fine.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thats an easy one for me for 2 reasons.

The prices difference is 20.00 and they are basically the same machine except for the memory and HD and it would cost more then 20 to upgrade the second to have 4 gig of ram and 500 HD. But most of all is because the first one is from Costco and they have the best in store free warranty going (2 years).

CNET Forums

Forum Info