PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Two 256MB vs. One 512MB PCIe grapics card

Hi.

I'm configuring a new workstation and am wondering, aside from cost, what are the advantages or drawbacks between having dual 256MB graphics cards and one 512MB card?

I plan on having two 22" monitors (but will NOT need four) and my question is specific to overloading the video card (processor?) when I have two programs that COMPETE for it.

My current PC has one 256MB card and when I use a graphic-intensive program (w/3D GIS or CAD display) and webcasting software at the same time, the display gets bogged down (i.e., extremely slow refresh rate). This ONLY happens when I share the 3D display via webcast ...or, as a 'workaround' I can reduce the display resolution down to 1024x768; anything higher bogs down. Otherwise, each program works great independently.

I'm guessing that the dual 256MB card configuration would be preferable but am not familiar with the technical part of how each program "calls on" the graphics card (memory? cache?) to do the work ...maybe the 512 would be better? If I just use one monitor, is the answer different?

The specific comparison that I'm interested in is:

a. Two 256MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX570

b. One 512MB PCIe x16 Nvidia Quadro FX1700 (costs ~300 bucks more)

Thanks in advance,
Josh
____

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Two 256MB vs. One 512MB PCIe grapics card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Two 256MB vs. One 512MB PCIe grapics card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
zero benefit

In reply to: Two 256MB vs. One 512MB PCIe grapics card

"This ONLY happens when I share the 3D display via webcast"

the webcasting is the issue and an additional video card won't help. if you're trying to push your display out on the web, most of the hardware accelerated display features will be disabled.

Collapse -
RE: Two 256MB vs. One 512MB PCIe graphics card

In reply to: zero benefit

Thanks ramarc,

Still not sure that I understand the technical intricacies, but this particular webcasting software (WebEx) does not automatically disable the video hardware acceleration ...or at least it didn't in my case. A call to their tech support resulted in the suggestion that I manually set the level of hardware acceleration to "none" which seemed to help a little, but the main benefit wasn't realized until I lowered the resolution (stated previously) to 1024x768.

Webcasting issue aside, is a 512mb graphics card better than two 256mb cards (i.e., for a workstation running two monitors)?

Thanks.

Josh
____

Collapse -
it's impossible to use hardware acceleration w/web ex

In reply to: RE: Two 256MB vs. One 512MB PCIe graphics card

hardware acceleration speeds the display of images on the screen by bypassing the gdi. that's why video games can hit 100+ frames per second. turn off (or don't use) hardware acceleration and the game drops to 10-20 frame per second. but it's next-to-impossible to get 100+ frames per second over the web because of the bandwidth needed. that's why you had to reduce the resolution to get reasonable performance. the video card can't speed up the webshow because the video card is not the bottleneck... your internet connection and/or the web display software is.

as for two vs one video cards, it depends on your software and you should check the software manufacturer's FAQs or tech support forums.

Collapse -
1v.2 video cards - software

In reply to: it's impossible to use hardware acceleration w/web ex

Thanks ramarc -- great insight.

By software (re: 1 vs. 2 video cards) do you mean the GIS/CAD programs that I'll be using or the nview software that come with nvidia card(s)?

Josh
____

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.