The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

TWIT

by beelissa / October 26, 2006 5:10 AM PDT

Someone said TWIT (the podcast, right? only just the podcast by that name, not all of Leo's podcasts at the Twit TV site) was dead. But now I heard that Inside the Net is no more -- they're changing the format, even the name, though I distinctly remember that when Amber got her new job they said it wouldn't affect that podcast. Does this mean all of Leo's podcasts are going bye-bye?

Here's what I don't like about TWIT -- it's too many new voices, and I have trouble keeping straight who is who. When Molly's on, it's okay because I know her voice, and I can even recognize Tom's voice, even though he's another male voice in amongst all the mostly male voices. But most of them are just another male voice, and the podcast is so long and they talk about stuff that's often old news since it's once a week. I very much prefer the BOL format -- same voices, daily, shorter. I also like Inside the Net -- once a week, they interview one person each time. But no more, apparently. Now Leo and Amber are going to talk about all the great websites they've found, for an hour, and have some sort of live call-in/chat format as well. I don't know. . . I'm not much into live podcasts. I like the portability of podcasts, how you can listen when you want to. The live bit defeats that purpose, IMO.

What do the rest of you think?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TWIT
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TWIT
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
TWIT
by UKMatt3 / October 26, 2006 5:30 AM PDT
In reply to: TWIT

I do like TWIT. I do prefer BOL to TWIT (and I'm not just saying that), but I think the TWIT set-up is equally as valuable as BOL's.

I agree that BOL's set-up is easier to understand. It is more straight forward and therefore more news intensive... with comedy sprinkled in. TWIT on the other hand is less news intensive and more discussion geared. Personally, I've usually heard all of the stories they cover in TWIT prior to listening to the podcast (I may be an exception, but I think most of the people are at least above 50/50). What makes it worth listening to is the diverese opinions. They have a neutral party Leo, the old man John C. Dvorak, the young guy such as Kevin Rose, to the British guy who I don't know. I hate "John C. Dvorak.org/blog" (and I don't mean the web site, I mean him because on the show they are one in the same) because he's 1. That guy who has answers to everything -- I HATE that guy, and 2. Usually wrong. Dispite that, it's another opinion on things that are happening, and understanding people's opinions, even if they're contrary to your own, makes you a bigger person. Therefore even though this show isn't quite that entertaining, I do learn a bit from it each week because of the diverse panel.

That's my two cents at least.

Collapse -
The state of podcasts
by MacHugger / October 26, 2006 5:35 AM PDT

Hi Beelissa! I agree with your assessment of TWiT and it's why I stopped listening months ago. I appreciate that Leo is a pretty big Machead and I usually like the guests but the cacaphony of noise from so many trying to out tech the other just got on my nerves. The audio quality was ***** and the material dated (in the tech scene, sometimes HOURS makes a difference between news and yesterday's news.)

It is, however, a little scary to hear that one of the more popular podcasts might be tanking. I hope that Buzz Out Loud is going in the other direction, not down in numbers.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
get rid of dvorak
by benanzo / October 26, 2006 5:36 AM PDT

he's annoying.

I like twit. I like Leo. Get rid of Dvorak. Live shows are fine if you don't mind no one answering the call-in line when you're listening to the show 3 days later.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.