Computer Help forum

General discussion

tweaking windows xp tips from old CNet online courses

ok, for some reason CNet had to shut down their pages on their online courses & forbid us from accessing them, kinda trying to force us to use the forum when the forum is utterly useless for tips (people don't tell you in details step by step what to do + no screenshot)... Does anyone have the info on tweaking windows xp to optimize performance?? It was from one of their online course before.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: tweaking windows xp tips from old CNet online courses
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: tweaking windows xp tips from old CNet online courses
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this TechRepublic guidance

In reply to: tweaking windows xp tips from old CNet online courses

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=157

When CBS took over CNET a few months ago some of the CNET features became casualties. CNET's Online Courses was one such.

The members here work hard to help people with their computer problems. However we are, all of us, volunteers. It makes me wonder if your use of the word 'useless' for the work done and help offered in these forums is appropriate.

Mark
Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: Try this TechRepublic guidance

thanks for the link but it isn't what I was looking for... the tweaking I had in mind was more advance & require registry edit

Collapse -
specifically....

In reply to: thanks

the tips i that roughly remembered involved changing the values of some hotkeys into 0

Collapse -
dangerous...

In reply to: specifically....

yeah i know, & that's why I'll not rely on people from the forums... only the CNet people can reliably tell us how to tweak the registry fro windows xp performance boost.

Collapse -
Every PC and user is a bit different

In reply to: dangerous...

in capability and need. No one person can tell you exactly...step by step...what's going to improve your computer's performance. Many "tweaks"...in fact, most...will have a trade off. To make one operation run faster and smoother might throttle down another. Any tweak you've seen offered by Cnet folks in any capacity can be found elsewhere using the right google search strings. I'd encourage anyone to more homework on their own rather than asking for answers from others. You'll learn more and gain much more satisfaction from discovering a solution rather than having it handed to you. Any tweaking advice needs to come with caveats and any tweak worth its salt should pay for itself in time saving or improved functionality. Do the following google searches

Windows Annoyances
Black Viper
Kelly's Korner

This should keep anyone busy for a very long time. Hopefully there will still be some left to enjoy your computer for what it can do. Happy

Collapse -
Sounds like you need to ...

In reply to: dangerous...

invest in the Windows Xp resource kit (lots of info on key purpose and values recognized).

You can also look here:
http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/

Now, a little advice. Just because forum members do not work for CNET does not in any way indicate that several of us are not more knowledgable about the Windows registry than persons paid by CNET.

If you don't trust CNET forum personnel, GOOGLE is your friend and is just waiting for your questions. So too are the books in the computer section of your local book shop.

Collapse -
Three places to find free courses

In reply to: tweaking windows xp tips from old CNet online courses

Collapse -
P.S.

In reply to: Three places to find free courses

I don't blame you for not wanting to let "just anybody" give you tips, but I think you'll find that there are a lot of people on these forums who are not "just anybody." There is a lot of knowledge and a lot of talent here.

I am very cautious about any modification to my computer, whether guided by a professional or not. As long as you image your C drive and put the image onto CDs or DVDs, you can undo any damage that gets done and learn a lot in the process. It also provides you with a backup.

Denise

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.