General discussion

TV won't turn on

Nov 22, 2008 4:21AM PST

I have the Samsung FP-T5084 50" Plasma tv. I went to turn it on the other day, and it wouldn't turn on. No clicking. No red power indicator light. Nothing. It was plugged into a power strip with other components, and they all work fine. I unplugged it for a while and then plugged it into a different outlet on the power bar, but it still won't turn on.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: TV won't turn on
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: TV won't turn on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
This is my exact problem as well. 32" Samsung LCD tv.
Dec 11, 2009 5:10AM PST

Won't turn on. I can see the red LED light on the power button. Pressing the button, or pressing the power button on the remote, does nothing.

I had this problem a few days ago. It wouldn't turn on. I unplugged it, re-plugged it in, and I was able to turn on the TV using the power button on the lower front of the TV. Today, I cannot turn on the TV no matter what I try.

Maybe I'll try this capacitor replacement...

- Collapse -
Who ever discoverd this fix is a genius. Samsung LN-T4042H
Dec 12, 2009 10:02AM PST

I just want to say thank you for all the posts concerning this problem. I have never soldered anything in my life but I bought all the soldering stuff, the radio shack capacitors, and went through the procedure and sure enough, it works now. Bravo.

- Collapse -
wlecome to the club!
Dec 12, 2009 11:59AM PST

Welcome to the club bgreen77! You've earned the bragging rights at the office. I work with a bunch of maintenance mechanics and they were in awe when I told them about the fix. Very satisfying isn't it?

- Collapse -
I have the same TV as you and same problem
Mar 1, 2010 4:24AM PST

Hello I woke up this morning to watch the news before I was off and the red light is on my tv but the thing will not turn on. I am also not hearing any clicking. Samsung said they would fix it if it is the capacitor but they have to send someone to my house and if it isnt then my minimum bill will be two hundred dollars for them driving hear. Did you fix your tv and if so was it the capacitors?

- Collapse -
I had the same problem.
Mar 3, 2010 4:43AM PST

My TV is over a year and a half old and out of warranty. After several calls and escalations with Samsung, they have fixed my TV (hopefully) and it has been shipped back to me as of today. They agreed to extend my warranty to cover the repair, if the problem turned out to be the capacitor issue. Obviously it was. See the link below:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1230144

- Collapse -
The Real Truth about the Clicking
Mar 24, 2010 2:04AM PDT

Yes there is an issue on Samsung TV's and not turning on. Yes it is the Capacitors and yes there is a way to fix it. Samsung 1-800-522-7341 support will check the model number and if it matches the production date (most likely does) they will issue a ticket number call a local repair man and fix this for free. I had great service and the repair man is set to come out today. The same day I called Samsung. I have read alot of negative, but I can say they were so nice and got me hooked up within minutes of the call. I was ready for a fight and i can say I was knoced out in minutes from the start of this call. Thanks Samsung for such a great experiance. I am upset that there were tv's in production going out the door bad, but I am glad I did not have to take a asprin to resolve the issue.
ohioemail@gamil.com Chad Johnson

- Collapse -
Walmart/Samsung-No longer going to carry
Mar 24, 2010 2:16AM PDT

I went with my daughter last week to help her purchase a TV at Walmart. I found from a store clerk there that Walmart is phasing out its Samsung TV's due to the lack of quality they are now producing.
Cudos to Samsung for finally stepping up and taking care of the last poster's issue for free....but they should have done a recall on all TVs with this problem or issued the consumer credits to have it taken care of.
We immediately bypassed the Samsungs left at our local store and will not have trust to purchase again.
No one wants to buy something they have to fix.

- Collapse -
Samsung resolved this issue for me as well
Apr 13, 2010 9:51AM PDT

Thanks for your posting, Chad. My Samsung LNT4665F 46" LCD starting showing signs of this same problem about a week or two ago. An online search for answers yielded loads of angry and frustrated comments from many others on various blogs and forums. But after sifting through the first 4 pages of mostly very negative comments on CNET, I finally found a glimmer of hope when I read your post.

This afternoon, I called the number you listed and had a calm and productive conversation with a friendly and helpful rep from Samsung. After providing the model and serial numbers for my TV, she quickly verified that it matched the production of the units they are offering to repair free of charge. I bought it 2-1/2 years ago, but she even extended the warranty until 2 months from the time of my call so that I would have ample opportunity to schedule the repairs. Approximately 30 minutes later, the service company called and the technician will be here next week to do in-home repairs. Fantastic!

Thanks, Chad and thanks, Samsung!

- Collapse -
Not so happy
Sep 19, 2010 3:42AM PDT

I called Chad's number. Didn't work. Was referred to another tech support number. That person told me they will fix mine but I am responsible for sending it to New Jersey!.. Wow...some deal. I don't have the original box, anything to ship it in let alone the cost and chance of them saying it is damaged when it gets there. And they are saying that if it is anything other than the capacitor I will pay full cost. Just becasue my TV is smaller than a 32 inch, seems like I am not getting the service that others are. Love the picture on this TV but wow, something only 20 months old won't even turn on!!!

Said I should take it to someone who was a partner but couldn't provide a list of partners in my area.

- Collapse -
Same Experience
Apr 26, 2010 12:00AM PDT

I have a Model LN52A650A purchased 23 month's ago. I called the number Chad provided and my experience was similar to Chad's. As long as the problem is the capacitors, the problem will be fixed at no cost to me. I did not mention that I had a similar problem the past September. The 1st problem was an On/Off cycling problem. This was caused by faulty capacitors and was repaired at no cost to me. This new problem is somewhat different in that is does not cycle on/off but clicks at a rate of about 70 clicks a minute. The only way to stop the clicking is to unplug the set. Even after unplugging the power cord the clicking continues for about 8 seconds.

On the one hand I'm pleased that Samsung has repaired and hopefully will repair my TV now. However, the fact that the set has failed twice within a 2 year time period is very disappointing.

- Collapse -
All Fixed
May 5, 2010 4:28AM PDT

Samsung Technician came today and repaired the set; No Charge.

He was in and out in 25-30 minutes.

This time he swapped out the entire board rather than field replace the individual capacitors which is what he did this past fall. The capacitors he replaced last fall were OK, other capacitors he did not replace had failed.

He went on to explain that Samsung has changed the manufacturer of the capacitors. The capacitors which failed, though labeled as 10v were in fact 6v.

There were 3 parties involved in this repair; The Technician, the service dispatcher and Samsung.

Of the Technician, I have only good things to say. He was polite, timely, efficient and candid. He was the same Technician who repaired the set last fall.

Of the service dispatcher, Williston TV, I don't have bad things to say but I can't say anything good about them either. They don't seem to be as organized and professional as I'm confident Samsung expects them to be. According to the Technician, Williston coordinates all of the Samsung service activity up and down the east coast. I'm in central MA.

Of Samsung, I'm pleased that they repaired my set, once again, under warranty, even though it is approaching 2 years old. But I have to wonder about the thousands of customers who have experienced these problems and were not able to tap into the resources mentioned in this and similar forums. I have to believe Samsung is taking a really big hit with respect to its reputation for quality and customer service that will haunt it for years.

- Collapse -
Plasma died
Aug 7, 2010 4:05AM PDT

My 2 year old Samsung T4254 plasma started doing the "clicking" thing and not powering up. Sometimes after sitting a while it will power on...but it never stays on very long before it goes back and starts clicking again. Called Sasmsung and they told me there was no known issue with plasmas and I was on my own. I replaced the 10v capacitors on the power board with 16v capacitors, but it was not the problem.

- Collapse -
Thanks chad
Aug 11, 2010 9:29AM PDT

Have the same problem as everyone else with my 52 in LCD. Called he number Chad provided and Samsung states they will replace the capacitors. Waiting on the repair tech. we'll see how it goes.
For those needing the number it is 8005227341

- Collapse -
Samsung LCD TV power supply
Aug 21, 2010 11:37AM PDT

It's a shame what's happening with the Samsung tv's. The first TV I ever bought was a Samsung, and ironically, i'm back to using this 15 year old thing because my NEW Samsung LCD (that I bought last year) stopped working. Funny that the 15 year old one is still going strong after years of moving it and banging it around and the NEW one craps out after just 1. Thankfully I found the problem - yep - bulging capacitors...just waiting for Monday to roll around so I can go buy the replacements.

It's not just the TV's though. I bought a Samsung DVD player 2 years ago that stopped playing DVD's only 2 months after buying it. It's sitting around in the storage room somewhere. I then bought ANOTHER Samsung DVD player, only this time a DVD surround system - and yep, it won't play DVD's either. Instead i'm using the cheap Phillips DVD player that I bought 7 years ago - it still works fine. I own a Samsung Blu-Ray player - it hasn't quit working yet, but i'm sure it will soon.

I will never buy Samsung again. Shame though, as I was a huge fan. Last week I went to buy a new cell phone and there was this shiny new great looking SAMSUNG sitting there....all I could think was that in 1 month it wouldn't be working, so I bought the Acer instead.

Would anyone at Samsung like to buy back their defective products? I have plenty of them.

- Collapse -
Samsung resolved this issue for me as well
Sep 4, 2010 1:19AM PDT

Thanks for your posting, Chad. My Samsung LN40A550 LCD starting showing signs of this same problem last week. I started searching online about the problem and came across this thread (after reading all the other bad comments about Samsung).

I just called the number you listed and spoke to a Samsung rep named Courtney. She was very helpful and friendly. The next steps were exactly as you mentioned. After providing the model and serial numbers for my TV, she quickly verified that it matched the production of the units they are offering to repair free of charge (even though it's out of warranty). I am now just waiting for the serice company to call to schedule the repair (likely next week since it's a holiday weekend).

- Collapse -
Service Number
Oct 13, 2010 4:34AM PDT

My LN-T4061F has the same 10v cap issue and I called it in per ohioemail's instructions above, and they took my info and set up a service call, free of charge. Thanks.

Samsung 1-800-522-7341 support will check the model number and if it matches the production date (most likely does) they will issue a ticket number call a local repair man and fix this for free.

- Collapse -
you won't believe this!
Oct 30, 2010 10:32AM PDT

I have this issue with the power light flickering (similar to this thread) and the channels start cycling through. I started banging the tv and noticed that it would respond. I placed my hand on the glass panel along below the power button (lower right side) and this stopped the cycling!!!

I then placed some duct tape on the area and the tv stopped cycling. I have a picture to show where I placed the tape...

image attached
http://yfrog.com/n0photorloj

- Collapse -
Samsucks TV still not working..
Nov 20, 2010 7:28AM PST

I have a LN52A650 and it just shut off one day and would never turn back on. I called SamSucks and they told me it was out of warranty by only a few weeks and that I was on my own. SamSucks also told me that my TV was not involved in the capacitors issues and they would not provide any services to fix my TV. So I purchased a new power board ($165.00) and put it in my TV. Nothing, still doing the same thing. Now I'm thinking about replacing the T-Con board and returning the Power Board. Any comments or ideas would really help! Remember it's SamSucks for now on!

- Collapse -
TV wont turn on.
Dec 7, 2010 11:33PM PST

I have a Samsung LN52A650A1F and it turned off one day and would never turn back on, just kept making that start up chim and I could hear a click coming from the rear of the TV. I bought a new powerboard and replaced it, still did the same thing, so I replaced the T-con board and put my old powerboard back in, BAM perfect picture, TV turned right on. SO if your TV just turns off and wont turn back on, call samsung, ask them if your tv is part of the transistor problem? If they say yes, the it may be worth looking into a new powerboard, if they tell you NO your tv is not part of the transistor problem, it may be worth looking into a new T-con board instead of a powerboard. The transistor problem/issue does not have the same symptoms as the T-con board problems. If your tv just shuts off and wont turn back on and samsung tells you your tv IS NOT PART OF THE BAD TRANSISTORS PROBLEM, look into a new T-con board at www.samsungparts.com very easy to replace, only took me about 15 mins

- Collapse -
Samsung LA40S81B 40" LCD tv
Jan 1, 2011 6:31AM PST

My Samsung 40" tv is around 2 years plus old and is a made in Malaysia model.
One night the tv switched on by itself in high volume and woke us up, I came and switched it off and went back to bed.
From the next morning, the tv wont switch on ! the red led flashes five times and remain on for 4 seconds and again flashes for five times.
After a few days the tv switched on by itself again and worked for around 30 minutes!
After going through the forums I purchased 1000uf, 16V capacitors online and opened the tv but found al capacitors are good. Any how I changed all the 4 capacitors with 1000uf, 10V rating but the symptoms are same, no change at all. I then tried the EPROM reset found the forums but again no result! assembled tv back and left it switched on, and again a few days later found the tv is on! switched it off with remote and tried switching on again, but again the led just flashes!
Any one can help me please???

- Collapse -
Might be compacitor problem (not sure how to spell it)
Jan 4, 2011 12:45AM PST

I had the same problem with my Samsung 40". I used the live chat from their website and they gave me an 800 number. 800-726-7864 to schedule a service call. My TV is out of warranty, but this issue is still covered for free. I have not had my service call yet, so I can't say for sure that this will fix it. Just though I'd let you know.

- Collapse -
I am just floored by this thread
Jan 23, 2011 11:48PM PST

So many people, so many issues! And many seem related. I am currently waiting for service to happen on my plasma tomorrow. PN50C6400. I have other posts here about my issues, which are similar but haunting in different ways.

NISI is supposed to handle my service call. They cancelled once on me already last Tuesday the 18th because of weather (it was raining). They are now scheduled for tomorrow (25th). We'll see.

My issues, which started happening 32 days after purchase:

1) "! Not Available" message continually pops up on its own, up to 8 times a minute
2) TV powers itself off at random times, and even powers itself back on!
3) The Menu pops up randomly, on its own, and it sometimes even changes settings

The TV is currently sitting on my dining room floor, unplugged. I am back to my 36 inch Toshiba tube, which is 8 years old and still going strong.

Samsung needs to get a clue - their product is inferior! Never again will I buy Samsung.

- Collapse -
Remote will not power TV.
Jan 26, 2011 12:17PM PST

This does not seem to be quite the problem everyone else is having but not sure where to post so it will get read. I have my original remote and a remote for my digital/hd box. I have been using the hd remote with no problems until tonight. I can power the tv on and off at the tv but not from either remote. I am getting the flashing red light while tv is on though. I am wondering if its something different or will it eventually be the same as all these others. Any help?

- Collapse -
Remote will not power TV
Jan 26, 2011 10:18PM PST

My first obvious thought was batteries, but you have two remotes not working, so probably not. When the TV is off, the red light is solid. As its powering on, it blinks, and once the picture displays, the red light should go off. Your remotes seem to initiate power on, but its sounding like the TV never fully powers up.

It does sound a little different, but it its related to the board behind the front panel buttons, could be similar. What model TV is it (in case a Samsung Tech reads this), and is it under warranty still?

Mine was just serviced Tuesday (I have a couple other posts out here with my issue). They replaced the front panel board, and another circuit board it connected to, plus the connecting cable (which was frayed). So far none of the problems I had have come back.

- Collapse -
800-samsung
Feb 22, 2011 11:31PM PST

I just spoke with Samsung and they are coming out to fix my out of warranty television admitting there is a known problem with the capacitors on these models. Before doing any repair work yourself I would suggest calling them to see if they will do the same for you.

- Collapse -
50" Plasma won't turn on or off - Power Supply Failure
Mar 19, 2011 7:36AM PDT

Our 3 yr old 50" Plasma (PN50A550S1F) froze and won't turn on or off, but there were still lights. Remote didn't not work and the only way to turn it off was to unplug it. Samsung authorized technician estimated approx $400-$500 to repair.

After reading all the info, it appears this has been a common problem. As recommended by previous posts, I contacted 1-800-SAMSUNG and requested the "free one time replacement program." The SC Call Center was very friendly, however, said my model was not eligible. This offer only applies to LCD's not Plasmas. She said the cost of the capacitors on the LCD was much less expensive than the power board on the Plasma.

Next step, I contacted the Executive Customer Relations at (800) 522-7341. After approval, they offered to extend my warranty and cover the power board parts & I need to pay for the labor (approx $150-$190).

- Collapse -
TV won't turn on but problem solved!!!
Apr 24, 2011 10:32PM PDT

Our 32" LCD doing same as many others - on, then off then on but off for longer periods before totally dying. Read all the threads here and called 1-800-SAMSUNG number - they (same as with others) wanted our CC and to ship from here in VT to NJ at our expense to SEE if they could fix...after other sleuthing found THIS NUMBER: 800-522-7341 and got someone who understood problem - they put out service call to local TV company repair (ADAMS ELECTRONIC SERVICE in Northfield, Mass.) and they came within 24 hours and fixed in 5 minutes!! Yes - capacitor!! Do not send your TV to NJ - call this number!!!!

- Collapse -
Samsung 50" Plasma Power Fault
May 4, 2011 11:03AM PDT

To be honest it is almost certainly the Main Power Unit.
You can find them on Hamazon but you'll need it's part number.
(About $130)

eBay for a used one.

It's easy to change though, just lots of screws around the edge of the casing, the 2 little bolt type things on the VGA computer input, (don't forget them or you could damage the main board)

The power supply board is the biggest panel right in the middle.
Write down the numbers and pop them into Google or Hamazon.

(You should unplug the TV before you do this....)

Unless you're into shocks.

- Collapse -
TV won't turn on / NO light
Jun 25, 2011 10:53AM PDT

I was having the same problem everyone seems to be having with no power on my samsung 32" and it had no red light whatsoever. After changing out power cords with another I wasn't sure what to do. While browsing this feed my buddy began to violently shake the TV back and forth (stuck on wall mount) and wah lah. It now works perfectly fine. Everything can use a little TLC...

- Collapse -
Samsung Plasma starts buzzing
Oct 9, 2011 3:35PM PDT

I need help please.. When i turn my plasma on it starts buzzing and no picture shows up.. literally happened over night.

CNET Forums

Forum Info