General discussion

TV won't turn on

Nov 22, 2008 4:21AM PST

I have the Samsung FP-T5084 50" Plasma tv. I went to turn it on the other day, and it wouldn't turn on. No clicking. No red power indicator light. Nothing. It was plugged into a power strip with other components, and they all work fine. I unplugged it for a while and then plugged it into a different outlet on the power bar, but it still won't turn on.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: TV won't turn on
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: TV won't turn on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
TV won't turn on
Feb 6, 2009 6:53AM PST

Samsung HD tech -
Thanks for your help!

I called yesterday and it had been escalated and assigned to a different repair company. Unfortunately, this doesn't solve getting a technician out any sooner. I know that switching techs is a good thing. But either way, Samsung is failing the task.

I've just borrowed a 5 year old 29" Sanyo for now.('ol faithful) I guess there's just nothing that can be done in a reasonable amount of time with Samsung.

- Collapse -
Let me know...
Feb 7, 2009 10:47AM PST

Thanks for keeping me posted.

Let me know how it goes when you get your repair.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Samsung LCD LN40A550 Won't Turn On
Feb 10, 2009 2:51AM PST

Same thing is happening to me. My LCD was working fine until this afternoon when I attempted to turn it on and nothing happened. Tried unplugging it, moving it to three known working outlets and nothing! Eventually, the power light comes on and it makes a sound like it cycling on and then it shuts itself and tries again, over and over. It will not response to the on/off button on the television or to the remote. I've had to unplug it and remove it from the room.

My model number is LN40A550P3FXZA

Perhaps I have the same power grid issue?

- Collapse -
Either way...
Feb 10, 2009 12:30PM PST

Luna1203,

It sounds like it probably requires a call to service. I don't know of any shortcuts to fix that specific issue.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Samsung HP-T5054 won't start on
May 22, 2010 10:29AM PDT

It looks like i have the same problem like most of the people -with this TV. It does the click and won't turn on. Everybody said that their capacitors have been found bursted. Mine capacitors are all flat...what or where is my problem. Why the TV doesn't turn on? What should I look for. Thank you for any suggestions.

- Collapse -
HP-T5054
May 28, 2010 2:51AM PDT

When the little light on the front of the HP-t5054 turns on but there's no picture then 90% of the time it's a y buffer that has gone out. It's usually the top buffer. 3/4 of the time the buffer takes out the y main board too. You cannot just replace the y-main or buffer because it will just burn out the other within seconds. Also about 1/4 of the time it'll take out the top transformer on the power supply too. The solution? First disconnect the power to the y main board. turn on the television and check the voltages coming off of it. Careful it's high voltage 208V! Remember it's DC too. Then disconnect the buffers from the y main board. You can try powering the y-main up to see if the little LED lights up. This does not indicate it's working though but it'll tell you if it is possible to fix. The fixes for these boards is only for electronics guys. It usually involves replacing 1-3 capacitors and 1-4 FET's. Since a bad buffer can take out a good y main in seconds it's usually recommended that one replace all 3 boards at the same time. It's a $250 fix. How do I know all this? I've now repaired 5 of these televisions. I owned one and spent close to 600 repairing it. I bought misc parts and broken sets online for months before I had 2 different repair guys walk me through the process of repairing them. I had so much cash tied up in parts that I bought 3 more dead sets and repaired them to justify all my spending. I've never had an x board fail. I've had EVERY top buffer fail. I've had all but 1 y-mains fail. and 1 lower buffer fail. I've also had the y buffer fry it's top chip, blow a capacitor and FET on the y-main, and fry the top transformer on the power supply before my eyes. It only took 5 seconds. I've often found burst 680uf 35v capacitors on the y-main boards (sometimes they burst downward) and fried upper buffer chips. Replacement of the 3 y boards will almost always fix the sound but no picture problem. This is separate from the power supply issues. Hope this helps!

- Collapse -
Hpt 5054
Dec 18, 2010 10:32PM PST

I have a Samsung 5054 that was cosmetically damaged in a House Fire. The TV works fine so I hate to throw it out. I need the Front Cabinet Bezel and the Screen Saver. I have heard it referred to as the Glass Filter, even though it is plastic. Both pieces were scratched due to falling Debreis... Thanks for any help. Willing to pay resonable prices, the new parts are jsut too expensive... Pete, Pete@RitchieRanch.com

- Collapse -
More info on the repair process
May 9, 2011 2:17PM PDT

That is great information, I'm very excited I found this. Do you have more information on the repair process? Like anyone, I'd rather not go replacing good parts, especially at $125 to $217 for each. Information on testing the suspected failed parts would be great. More information on the process of replacing bad chips or capacitors, and its practicality, on the failed boards would also be EXTREMELY helpful.

- Collapse -
HOW TO FIND THE INFO!
May 10, 2011 4:03AM PDT

To learn more about the common source of many of these failures, Google BAD CAPS.

To learn more about Samsung and this, google SAMSUNG BAD CAPS.

You should find plenty and videos of the work on youtube as well.
Bob

- Collapse -
I fixed my TV just now
Jun 28, 2010 8:10AM PDT

We have the same problems. Instead of repairing by the tech with charges at almost C$200, why not buying a new one. So we watch the videos of replacing the capacitors and did this morning. We replaced the four old capacitors with 4 new ones 1000uf v10 that bought from Main electronics in Vancouver at C$3.15 only. My husband soldered and replaced the blown ones and we fixed the problems. We can turn on the TV by remote and it performs good now. Thanks to the forums.

- Collapse -
A fix for your problem
Feb 16, 2010 1:20AM PST

I had the same problem with my samsung 40" tv, it wouldnt turn on. The TV was out of warranty, Samsung wanted to charge me 500.00 to fix the problem.
I researched it online and found the fix. I did it myself with the help of my father in about 2 hours. It cost under 30.00 which included the soldering de-iron and the soldering iron, and 4 capacitors. I had never used a soldering iron before this.

There are 4 capacitors that blow out and no longer work. This causes the power supply to not work. You can tell the capacitors are blown because they bulge on top where the cross is, could be just a slight bulge, but thats enough to signal there no good. You have to remove the back plate, disconnect the power supply, unscrew it from the rest of the TV, remove the blown capacitors, and replace them with ones you can buy at Radio Shack. Your TV will be fixed.

One more thing you must do. You must never buy another Samsung product because they dont support there products when there's a defect.

Here a link to a couple of youtube videos which document the procedure.

part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm51C_RDIZE&feature=related

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNHHrgX_6cs&feature=related

I hope this helps.

** Also heres another thread with the same problem:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_102-0.html?threadID=317367&tag=forum-w;forums06

- Collapse -
My Samsung TV Model No.LN40A530 won't turn on by the remote
Jun 28, 2010 7:11AM PDT

My TV experienced the problem of not turning on with the remote. Then it can only be turned on with the touch screen. Then we called the Samsung technician to solve the problems for us. They ordered the parts and labours for us at almost C$200 saying that would be the problems of the control panel. We waited for the fixing. Fortunately, we found this forum and tried to fix the problems. We did it and the TV can turn on as new. Thanks for the forum. We replaced the 4 capacitors and soldered them just took around 30 minutes job. Wonderful! We won't buy any product from Samsung in future. They are not reliable. The four new capacitors were found in Vancouver electronics stores and just C$3.50 only plus fuel charges.

- Collapse -
LCD TV
Apr 30, 2011 8:34PM PDT

Hi have the same issue with my 32'' lcd, is there a way to fix this, or a part that we could order through Ebay, i took it to the authorized repair center but no use. SAMSUNG SUCKS big time, we should do abt it, atleast create a facebook group or ...

- Collapse -
plasma wont turn on
May 4, 2011 8:49AM PDT

apparantly this is stillan issu because mine just went out i called samsung (iv had this tv a year and a half) and was told im out of warrenty .their having a repair service call me but they willnot cover it anyone reading this DO NOT BUY SAMSUNG

- Collapse -
tv wont turn on
Mar 13, 2009 11:35AM PDT

have you found out what this problem is ,my tv started to do this too

- Collapse -
Unable to turn on, clicking sound continously
Apr 25, 2009 4:46AM PDT

i just recently had the same problem with my tv. As it turned out it was the power supply which took the tec about 20min to change. Although it took 3 days for him to come too my place only to say he can't fix it on site so i had to deliver it or wait a week for someone to come and pick it up.As i brought it in he then told me he was taking the rest of the day off. Next day he had fixed it and i needed to pick it up. Nice guy but i think Samsung needs too find more local service men who are able to service their product. One guy for a populous of 60,000+ isn't enough. Overall i'm happy to have my tv back even though it took 5 days for a simple fix.

- Collapse -
My 52" has the same power turn-on problem :(
Sep 2, 2009 5:02AM PDT

I hate this TV. I always had SONY TV's and never had any problem. This time I wanted to change it... What a mistake!!

Bought 52" TV from Best Buy and it has great pic quality when it works! It first failed after 11 months. They replaced PCB board. I was told that the new board should last the life time. Guess what? Same thing happened after 2 months and this time its not under warranty. God knows how much it will cost me to get it repaired and how long will it last? Poor quality product and I am not happy about it. I called Samsung about it lets see if they exchange it?

- Collapse -
LN46B640 - Power issues
Sep 3, 2009 5:27AM PDT

I have to say i'm pretty disgusted as well with the Samsung Product. I bought a LN46B640 two weeks ago. Tried turning on the unit this morning...nothing! Changed outlets, re-inserted the power cord..still nothing. Called Samsung and they directed me to NISI...still haven't heard back from them. Not sure if i would recommend a samsung!!

- Collapse -
Same problem with LN26A450
Sep 3, 2009 9:41AM PDT

Just to add my experience with my Samsung TV ... had less than 100 hours of viewing, had the TV for 8 months ...I had the blinking LED but no image and no sound ... the next day, everything was fine. I still sent it to Samsung because it is still under warranty (lucky for now)... cannot be just a power supply that broke since the TV was working the next day ... my TV is in the shop and I am waiting to hear back from the repair crew ...but this is my question to the Samsung tech people: is it normal that so many of your TVs break within months ??? Several of your clients have the same issue, some like me are more lucky and can use the warranty but others are "just out of luck" Shouldn't Samsung issue a recall ? Unless you just recall defective equipment that can get you sued for endangerment ...I am not blaming the tech people of Samsung, it's not their fault ...they are trying to help with the most common issues ...

- Collapse -
My Samsung (40" Series 7) has the SAME problem
Nov 5, 2009 5:54AM PST

. . . Except ours also plays the annoying start-up sound over and over and over until you give up and unplug it.

Oh, and we only bought it 9 freaking months ago. Things used to last longer than nine months.

Honestly, I don't understand why Samsung isn't doing a recall or a true patch, given that this seems to be a VERY common problem. When I spoke to the repair shop the guy laughed and said he knew exactly what parts we needed (power supply) and that he saw this ALL THE TIME with Samsung TVs. Hello? Samsung? Maybe you should CHANGE something about the design instead of just repairing them and having them break over and over again?

I have no idea when they will have the part and be able to schedule a visit. . . which sucks, because I am a stay at home mom who also works from home, and sometimes I NEED this TV (the primary one in the house) to keep my kids occupied while I do a phone call or finish some writing.

Grrrr.

- Collapse -
I fixed mine in 20 minutes... see youtube>>>
Nov 5, 2009 5:59AM PST

Go to YouTube and search for Samsung TV Repair and you will see that you can fix it yourself if you know how to use a soldering iron... parts = about $10

- Collapse -
I've seen this
Nov 5, 2009 6:03AM PST

. . . and thought about it, but we're still under warranty (we have an extended one, for two years).

Mostly I'm just curious why, as this is so common, Samsung doesn't DO anything about it.

- Collapse -
Samsung products.. capacitor problems
Nov 5, 2009 6:11AM PST

I like the picture on my Samsung so much that I wouldn't mind doing the capacitor replacement every year if that's all that goes wrong with it. If you warranty repair can be done in-house and soon I would wait for it. Otherwise if you can fix it yourself you'll have some awe-inspiring bragging rights at the office...

- Collapse -
Replaced entire power board.. no dice
Jan 6, 2010 3:05PM PST

Instead of just replaceing a couple capacitors on the board, I just went ahead and replaced the board. No change at all in symptomes. Still clicks on and flashes, finally turning on after a while. Any other ideas? Thanks

- Collapse -
Samsung Won't Turn On - Clicks
Mar 20, 2010 9:27AM PDT

I've seen a number of questions regarding samsung's and their repeated issues trying to start up. The TV will click, make the startup sound and nothing happens. It then does it again until it ultimately turns on. Or in some cases doesn't turn on.

In most cases the resolution has been to replace some worn out capacitors on the power supply. An inexpensive fix if that's the problem. After that it appears to be the mother board which needs replacing ($250-$350).

I had the capacitors replaced and works like a charm. Other symptoms are that pixels stay lit in a fixed manner.

Hope this helps.

- Collapse -
TV won't power on
May 23, 2012 11:27AM PDT

I have a PN58C550G1FXZA with the same issue I've owned it for about 18 months and now it wont get power. The outlet is good the cables are seated but there is no standby light and it won't turn on. All Samsung has offered to do when I called for support was put me in touch with a service company and all repairs are going to be out of pocket. My service number was 2113163155 if I wanted to call a TV repaire shop I can find the number on my own. I have a Samsung phone, Computer and Galaxy Tab. If they don't want to stand by there product I am never buying anthing that has there name on it again. I now have have something to tell my friends when I hear they are shoping for electronics.

- Collapse -
Too often
Sep 6, 2009 4:32AM PDT

This is so common with Samsung. I'm dealing with it now with a 1200.00 TV that is 14 months old. Samsung has thrown me under the bus.
I highly recommend that people do not buy their products!

- Collapse -
My poor Sammy
Sep 22, 2009 8:03PM PDT

Same here 14 months and the clicking. I would let it try to start a few times but I never turned off the start-up chime and now it makes that noise every 10 seconds - taunting me....

- Collapse -
Found the fix on YouTube
Sep 22, 2009 8:47PM PDT

Go to YouTube and search for Samsung TV Repair and you will see that you can fix it yourself if you know how to use a soldering iron... parts = about $10

- Collapse -
Samsunt Tv wont turn on...
Dec 8, 2009 1:36PM PST

Model NO: LN32A330J1D
32" LCD TV

Had the TV little bit over a year so my warranty is gone, and the real problem with the TV is that the TV doesnt turn on. I read the manual, and it said to make sure its plugged in a working outlet...I've done it and still wont turn on. It doesnt make any "clicking" noise like I've read in other postings, it just doesnt turn on. The red light still appears on the power button on the tv though but again it wont turn on. HELP!!!

CNET Forums

Forum Info