General discussion

TV won't turn on

Nov 22, 2008 4:21AM PST

I have the Samsung FP-T5084 50" Plasma tv. I went to turn it on the other day, and it wouldn't turn on. No clicking. No red power indicator light. Nothing. It was plugged into a power strip with other components, and they all work fine. I unplugged it for a while and then plugged it into a different outlet on the power bar, but it still won't turn on.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: TV won't turn on
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: TV won't turn on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Update
May 19, 2011 4:22AM PDT

After reading and watching some youtube video, I decided to give the capacitor thing a whirl...I won't pay any service tech to get screwed....bought the capacitors at digikey,com got the 105c with 2200uf at 25v...the originals were 10v...was told it's good to up the volts

- Collapse -
Update
May 21, 2011 12:30PM PDT

Changed 4 capacitors from 10v 2200uf to 25v 2200uf and it works fine. very easy

bought from digikey.com

- Collapse -
Wish I had check this site before buying Samsung 50" Plasma
Dec 17, 2011 11:01AM PST

Well hind sight is always better than no sight. I wished I had posted the question about the Samsung 50" Plasma. FPt5084. Great picture for a year and then it blew a fuse so I replaced the fuse and it ran for another 8 months, right after warranty ran out and now it doesn't turn on and the power light blinks. So I am ordering the new CAPS tonight. I removed the board and found 4 caps domed out. Also found one over on another board off to the left facing the back of the tv. Only one there and it is lightly domed. But its not on the power board so will do them first.

Thanks all for your venting and TECH SUPPORT is a poor choice of words. Samsung should have stepped up to the plate two years ago when this first started to show up and then have the same issue with 2010 models is plain greet at the corperate level. No wonder we have OCUPPIERS all over. VENT VENT VENT.

- Collapse -
Samsung Plasma died
Oct 22, 2014 2:05AM PDT

We've already replaced the power board because the capacitors looked fine, no bulging, nothing. Could they be dead and look totally fine? Nothing looks burned out. We've changed the cord, the plug, the power board, still nothing. No power at all. Just like some others, ours just went off one night and never came back on. Brand new. Bought it in January.

- Collapse -
For Hpetty
Oct 22, 2014 8:47AM PDT

Note: Due to the depth of this discussion thread, no additional replies can be accepted for this post. If you have comments to make, please reply to the original post at the beginning of this thread.

Also, this thread is more than 2160 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and replying to it will serve no purpose. However, if you feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so.

Burying what looks like a plea for help where it can't be replied to in a very old post is well, it's like the plans in the display department in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

- Collapse -
thanks, I have met a similar situation, thanks to your sugge
Nov 23, 2015 10:44AM PST

thanks, I have met a similar situation, thanks to your suggestion I have solved it successfully

- Collapse -
HP-T5054
May 22, 2010 8:37AM PDT

hi,i have the same problem with my tv HP-T5054 and i don't know how much is to fix it?please....

- Collapse -
Samsung turn on problem
Dec 28, 2009 9:36AM PST

Samsung has a major problem with their power supply. They have 3 capacitors (1000uF/10V) that blow up and die. This happens just AFTER the warranty! Their customer service denies this but if you run a search on youtube ?Samsung power supply? there are a few videos that shows you how to do the repair step by step. I used http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm51C_RDIZE&feature=related this video and fixed mine. I called their customer service before fixing my TV and they denied there is such a known problem (what a joke) and offered to set up a service call at my expense. Look at the number of people views for all these repair videos and it is above few hundred thousand. Amazing number for a problem that doesn?t exist!! Samsung should be ashamed to continue using these caps even after they found out about the problem. The difference in the cost would have been about 20C. I wish some one would take a class action against them.

- Collapse -
Power light is on but my TV won't turn on!
Jan 4, 2010 6:38PM PST

I've only had the TV for little over a year. This seems to be a reoccurring problem with very many people could it be a faulty part. If so could I get My TV fixed for free.

- Collapse -
LCD Samsung does the same - 40 inch - 3 years old
Jan 5, 2010 11:44PM PST

It doesnt turn on anymore - just clicks away!! But would this YOU TUBE VIDEO be good for LCD, i noticed the guy has a plasma and not an LCD, is the power supply inside the tv similar or the same to change this to make it work again!??! tHANKS FOR THE HELP

I also have a samsung plasma 42 inch for 4 years and never had a problem yet...thank god!

- Collapse -
50" Plasma won't turn on.
Feb 25, 2010 5:31AM PST

I also seem to be having the same problem as many of the others have had. My tv was doing the click noise for about two weeks when I finally unplugged it as the manual said to somewhat reset itself and it appeared to fix the problem. Recently I went on vacation for a week and came back to my tv doing absolutely nothing. I can only gather that it is the same problem as everyone else, having tried different outlets and re-plugging in the power cord to the back of the tv. With that being said I have had my tv for about a year and a half, is there any hope of samsung fixing this product for me without charge or am I just screwed. I also have a 32" LCD samsung I purchased 2 months ago. Are there any problems with these models having the same problem as the plasma?
I must say that I am a consumer that believes in buying an American product and if that is hard to do (as the case with tv's it seems) I generally try to find products with good quality. This is what I believed I was doing when I purchased a Samsung but it appears that its just another mass produced piece of crap for overseas. Having read the previous post as well as my own experience I would certainly hope that the manufacturer would do something about this wide spread problem, however would still not recommend or buy another samsung.

- Collapse -
L-NT4045 Not turning on
Feb 2, 2009 2:44AM PST

My 40" LCD just began clicking several times when turning on after Tech replaced "the panel" last week. This morning it keeps clicking and will not turn on at all. I've swapped to a known working power outlet, but no change. I can unplug it for 10 mins, plug it in, and it just starts clicking before i use the power button.

Is any part of the power button or power supply replaced as part of "the panel"? My room mate watched the tech replace the panel and says that he replaced just about everything but the plastic outter part.

I called NISI this morning, but they didn't have an answer on "what they're going to do about it" until the tech gets back to the office.

I'm a little upset now because i reported the problem with the picture on 12/31/08 and it took them alsmost a month to fix that.. Now, its COMPLETELY inoperable. I would think NISI would do something RIGHT AWAY about it. This is a major purchase, its only been a year and is the only TV i have.

Thanks for any input!

Joncole

- Collapse -
L-NT4045 Not Turning on
Feb 2, 2009 12:05PM PST

I didn't watch him fix my TV, so I don't really know what all he changed. He just said it was the Power Supply, and he had to change a Board. When my TV went out, it didn't even make a clicking noise. Not sure what your problem could be. Best of luck!

- Collapse -
Call NISI....
Feb 4, 2009 6:10AM PST

joncole818,

I'm sorry to hear you're having these issues and that it wasn't fixed the first time.

I would call back NISI and see what they say about fixing it, and in a relatively quicker manner than what you've experienced so far.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
SAMSUNG LNT4042 LCD TV WON'T TURN ON
Feb 4, 2009 7:14AM PST

Samsung HD Tech-

Thanks for responding, but-

NISI is COMPLETELY USELESS!!! I thought HP support was bad, lol. This is the worst of any electronic item I'VE EVER PURCHASED! I don't believe I'll be purchasing another Samsung item with this kind of service.

NISI NEVER CALLED BACK. I called them, Samsung called them - no answer. That afternoon, I got the VM and left a VM.. No call back. Tuesday morning I called and they sent someone out that afternoon. (I'm glad i have a room mate that's off during Tues and Weds. People have to be millionaires to be able to afford taking off all these days for Samsung!) When the tech came out, he turned the TV on and off a several times (and it worked) and said if it happens again, give him a call.

Well, we never touch it after that on Tuesday (yesterday). I turned it off last night with the remote. I turned it on this morning with the remote and .. click.....click......click....... FOREVER. NOT TURNING ON.

We call this morning and they said they would come out at noon. they advised to keep it plugged in (letting it click and click over and over) until the tech gets there... TECH NEVER SHOWS!!! We call about 3 and they say that he's too backed up and won't be able to make it today (ok, when i have stuff to do, its called "overtime"!). Then they say that they don't have any openings for appointments for the rest of the week and only have Feb 11th open.

SO- I guess i won't be having my guests over THIS F'N WEEKEND! THIS IS COMPLETELY INEXCUSABLE! THIS IS THE WORST SERVICE I'VE HAD WITH ANY ELECTRONIC ITEM EVER PURCHASED- EVER! When i call Samsung, they just try to pass the buck to NISI. NISI is legally acting on behalf of Samsung, so I would think they would give a crap!

SAMSUNG SUCKS. I should've just purchased a Sanyo! I've had several of those for YEARS and NEVER EVER had an issue!

- Collapse -
Black screen and a Blinking LED
Feb 12, 2009 6:41AM PST

I can help. Have 2 50" plasma Tv's that wouldn't turn on after a year. Only got Blinking LED no pic no sound. It starts out with pic and perhaps no sound, then sound no pic then Nothing but a blinking LED. This is a power supply problem. Fixed both my Sets for 80 cents. This is a simple fix.... Email gysgt2u2 @ yahoo. Will provide pics via email and detailed instructions. You supply your time, I have helped many thus far.

Semper Fi

Gunny

- Collapse -
Samsung LN-T4042HX/XAC clicks - doesn't start
Mar 16, 2009 5:21AM PDT

Which capacitors need replacing. In the PS - right?

- Collapse -
PLEASE HELP
Aug 20, 2009 2:23PM PDT

I sent an e-mail to the address listed below, but I'm impatient and paranoid that you may not have gotten it ...LOL. I'm having the same troubles, and kinda want to attempt fixing it myself. I just need someone to walk me through the steps and tell me what parts I need to buy. Hopefully you can help me. Thanks again!!!

BillCLikesBugs@aol.com

- Collapse -
SAMSUNG PLASMA TV CLICKS OF AND ON BUT NEVER COMES ON
Sep 3, 2009 10:30PM PDT

Hi this is my first plasma tv and i love it however a few nights ago i turned it on to whatch the news it came on for a few seconds then went off and started clicking i was not sure what to do so i just disconected from the power supply please note any advise or assistance you can offer would be much appreciated

42" Plasma Widescreen TV X,(Mfr.: SAMSUNG #: 7609978 Mfr. Part #: HPT4254)

- Collapse -
Re.problem with my samsung tv.
Nov 2, 2009 9:07AM PST

I'HV. SAMSUNG TV 46"- model # LN-T4671F - 1080p LCD.
Ipurchased on amazon.com on 3/2/2008- so it is little over 1 1/2 year
old-it is quite expensive (however prices have now came down)
Problem started about 3 mo.ago-I started to get click = click noise
and the set won't turn on - blue LCD light on the bottom of the set
slowly will get brighter and brighter and finally after couple of min.
tv will come on-I/and my wife did not pay any attention but this problem got worst and worst-and it took longer and longer to turn and finally now tv went caput - ie.it wont turn on atall- just clicking
and clicking - and a very faint LCD light- We called Samsung-since our
warrenty is expired for them to sent repair man cost $175.oo plus
they say parts will be on/abt $300.00.
Need H E L P. Thanks.

- Collapse -
samsung tv problem
Nov 12, 2009 12:51PM PST

Did you ever get your tv problem solved. If so, PLEASE help me. Mine is doing the same thing and i just pasted my factory warranty. they say it will be 1 to 1 1/2 months to get a tech to look at it. i really need help. can u email me at bjr182@hotmail.com Thank you very much for your time.

- Collapse -
Samsung-Blues
Jan 17, 2010 1:41AM PST

Hey Gunny, I've got the same problem with my 42" Any help would be most appreciated!
Thanks,
Tank
Semper Fi

- Collapse -
Help!! Gunny- I emailed you but it failed -someone help!!!
Dec 7, 2010 9:41PM PST

We are having the same problem. The tv is only 2 yrs. old. It was on and then just shut off and is now clicking and flashing the red indicator light. It just keeps clicking. We don't have hundreds to get it fixed. Can anyone help?

- Collapse -
Fixed
Mar 9, 2009 9:41AM PDT

HD Samsung_tech:

Thanks for your assistance. The technician from GEMS Electronics (Dallas) called on Saturday morning. he asked what the problem was and after explaining, he said he would order the parts and be there on Wednesday or Thursday. He actually showed up early wednesday and replaced the part and we're as good as new. I had some blown capacitors on one of my boards. He says it just happens. He also was wondering why the previous tech came out and didn't know what the issue was. GEMS tech knew just over the phone.

It REALLY matters who you guys send out to work on your TV's. Samsung can say its the tech company that's the issue all day long, but it comes down to "Will I buy another Samsung product, if this is what happens when something goes wrong". I have liked samsung, but really have a bad taste in my mouth from them now. :-\

I would suggest anyone at minimum plugging their TV in a power conditioner and major surge surpressor.

If you know electronics, you can solder your own capacitors. These TV's are easier than PCs to work on. You can also order the parts pretty cheaply and replace them VERY easily.

Hope this helps someone.

- Collapse -
Feedback
Mar 17, 2009 9:19AM PDT

joncole818,

Thanks for taking a moment to post your feedback.

First of all, I'm glad the issue was fixed.

Second, I also agree that it matters on the technician side. Obviously, we try to align ourselves with local, interested and professional technicians. We do our best to deliver top notch service when something goes wrong. I for one can attest that no service issue on ANYTHING is a fun process, but it's always good to know you have someone working on it that really has a passion for what they do.

While I understand this experience may have soured a little, I do hope that you'll consider us in the future. I will be sending your feedback to the appropriate departments for their review.

Again, I'm glad you're up and running. Please let me know if I can assist further.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Samsung LCD Model LNT406 XAC
Aug 6, 2010 2:35AM PDT

Wow, isn't this some good press for Samsung!?

Just writing to report we have the same problem. And also at time of warranty expiry.

Of-course these TVs are built with manufacturer intent to be disposable. They can't make money if your TV works wonderfully. If enough people do their research and find forums like this not only will they (1) have ZERO CUSTOMER RETENTION but (2) also lose potential new customers.

In the end, it seems that Samsung has deemed this an acceptable risk to their business model.

We're going to try and get ours fixed. If it's not possible, I'll make sure to replace it with a NON-SAMSUNG associated product. I heard they were a main manufacturer, not sure and haven't researched yet. I'll do whatever I can to make sure that not another hard earned red cent of mine ever gets to Samsung. At least be stand-up enough to accept responsibility for the problem and treat your customers with some respect. Alas, not only are their products disposable but apparently so are we, their customers.

Thanks Samsung!

- Collapse -
GREAT FIX FOR PLASMAS/LCDS
Sep 21, 2012 7:17AM PDT

I had the same problem with my samsung hp4254 clicking not turning on. samsung knowns there is a
problem they will not help. I found this company Precher-tech I removed the power supply board myself
( very easy ) sent the board to them $ 65.oo to fix the board, put in back in works like a charm.........
john @ prech tech was great Blush he knows his suff will help very good deal , screw samsung do it your self,

- Collapse -
Service Ticket number?
Feb 4, 2009 1:10PM PST

Joncole818,

I'm sorry to hear all this.

What is your service ticket number? It should look like 4001xxxxx 2001xxxxx or a similar number.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
SAMSUNG LNT4042 LCD TV WON'T TURN ON
Feb 4, 2009 11:08PM PST

Samsung HD Tech-

Thanks for replying.. ticket numbers are:

4003130541 - disappeared last night..????

- Collapse -
Gotcha.
Feb 5, 2009 11:38AM PST

joncole818,

I have escalated your issue to someone who can help get this issue resolved. I'll keep you posted when I hear back (I emailed the information and my notes this evening, and I'm often left out of the loop after that happens, but typically with good results), so if it goes well, you should be contacted or I will have an update. If you don't hear anything by next Tuesday, let me know.

Regarding your weekend, I'm sorry it's not going to be able to go as planned.

--HDTech

CNET Forums

Forum Info