TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

TV warranties

by tvimpaired2266 / February 14, 2008 1:31 AM PST

I bought the Panasonic TH-58PH10UKA.Which is a great tv by the way.But, I was curious about getting an extended warranty for it and just looking for some feed back.Should I get the extended warranty? Is it worth it?

I didn't like the pricing at the store that I bought it from so I looked on the web.I found an XpresServ warranty that was ALOT cheaper than any other warranty I have seen.

Has anybody heard about them?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TV warranties
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TV warranties
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Rethink extended warranties
by samkh / February 14, 2008 1:46 AM PST
In reply to: TV warranties

HDTVs are going the way personal computers are, ie. better and cheaper next year and next and so on. Practically all mainstream PCs are sub-$1K nowadays and so will sweet spot HDTVs in a short while. Are you absolutely sure you will still love your set after 1 year?

Collapse -
Good point
by tvimpaired2266 / February 14, 2008 2:20 AM PST

I understand that,it's not so much that I wouldn't upgrade later,but I would still keep this tv and want to protect my investment in this one.

Collapse -
Denpend on the cost & time
by givemeaname / February 14, 2008 3:38 AM PST
In reply to: Good point

For me my CRT I got a EW for $99 that lasted 2 years & I did have to use it in the two years. For my Sony A2000 I got a 5 year EW for $150, from sony. I do know that some EW can cost around $400 for a 5 year contract & that is just a rip off.
I am planning on keeping the a2000 tv until I can get a 60+" OLED for under $4k, so that will be about 5+ years.

So something things to look at:

1: Cost
2: Length
3: Some EW will over lap with the manufacturer warranty, so you buy say 3 years but really just covers 2 years
4: covers shipping cost??
5: covers IN home repairs??

Collapse -
Thanks
by tvimpaired2266 / February 14, 2008 4:08 AM PST

I think I found a place that is pretty reputable.That place online DTVExpress has their warranties for less than half of what others want...The 5 year warranty is only $189 and it offers in-home service,so I don't have to worry about shipping the tv off somewhere.It seems pretty legit,has anybody else delt with them before or been to their site?

Collapse -
Ho about the manufacturers warranty?
by GinoShea / February 15, 2008 6:04 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

I'm always hesitant about some on-line retailer warranty. How long will they be around? Where are they located? Who do they use to do the work in your area?

I purchased an EW for my Sony rear projection HDTV from BB. It was a little more expensive then the one from Sony.

You might want to check out your manufacturer's price.

Collapse -
I did check with the manufacturer
by tvimpaired2266 / February 15, 2008 6:20 AM PST

The only issue is in-home service.I read some reviews and checked DTVExpress with the BBB.I went forward and bought the warranty with them.They have been in business for over 10 years and have the best warranty prices I have seen on the internet or anywhere else for that matter.I read that they are partnered with another company that has been around for 20+ years,so I don't think they are going anywhere.I think I made a good decision.I would recommend that other people go check them out.

Collapse -
THE BIGGEST PROBLEM YOU MAY ENCOUNTER IS THE FACT..........
by Riverledge / February 15, 2008 6:36 AM PST
In reply to: TV warranties

THAT YOU BOUGHT AN INDUSTRIAL/PROFESSIONAL SET FOR HOME USE. YOU SHOULD CHECK WITH YOUR RE-SELLER. PANASONIC WARRANTY MAY BE INVALID,
FOR PERSONAL USE. EXTENDED WARRANTY MAY BE HARD TO COME BY.

riverledge.

Collapse -
EW's
by dinox64 / February 16, 2008 2:32 AM PST

I bought my Panasonic Pro series with an extended warranty and was assured I would be covered for in home use. I'm sure every retailer is different. I bought right from a distributor with the guarantee it's covered. EW's I think are good insurance depending on the purchase. I bought my plasma when the technology was relitively new and EDTV's were more than HD's are now. I still have 2 years left on what was then 5. 1 year manufacturers and 4 year extended. It was explained to me which i'm sure was a little sales pitch that they would replace before they repaired. The four extra years was only $239. Since they nolonger make my model they would most likely just replace it. It's like auto insurance. You're betting you're going to wreck even though it's not in your best interest. And some one else, the insurance company,is going to foot the bill for much more than the cost of the insurance. So hopefully in the next two years something happens and I'm only out the $239 for a new display. If not I still feel I made the right decision to protect my investment. If you buy a low end unit for $1200 and the EW cost you $400. Bad decision. I personaly would consider a warranty at %10 of value a good buy. So $1200 and the $120 for another 2-3 years on top of manufacturers,good deal. Breaks down to $3-$4 a month for peace of mind.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.