General discussion

TV vs Monitor

Hey All,

I have to Buy a new Tv or Monitor to use to plug My Notebook, My Xbox 360 and My PS3 and all that things it's in my bedroom, so I don't have much space (Note: I`m going to buy a Full HD TV or Monitor). So I Have to buy a Tv or Monitor from 22" to 32".
What I really want to know is if a TV really is bad for the eyes, because I`m going to use as a monitor (So I'm going to use close to that) but it`s nice to have 1 HDMI connection left. And people keep saying that Tvs is bad for eyes because Tv is to watch in a good distance from it and because of that, there is monitors who has a film in front to protect the eyes.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: TV vs Monitor
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: TV vs Monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Tv vs monitor

There is not going to any difference from a monitor & tv of the same size at the same distance on the eye's. The only difference is computer monitor may (depending on model) have a higher resolution, like 1800 or 2200. The best thing is to calibrate the tv to the rooms lighting conditions.

I do not know what the people are telling you about a film on the screen to protect your eye's? No monitors screen will protect your eye's any different then a tv, unless it has a filter (after market) to bring down the contrast, like tinting windows, so the screen is not so bright & you do not get eye strain... The fix turn down the contrast on the monitor or tv, if needed add backlighting.

The tv will have more options then a computer monitor for PQ.

- Collapse -
I think the main different might be that...

monitors have multiple refresh rate where as TV might have 60hz. only, and of course a tuner is needed for the monitor. Is TV bad for the eyes? I don't know, but in this case I would say lcd on the tv is the same as in the monitor.

- Collapse -
Resolution is the main difference

I have an Asus Monitor that connects to my computer with an HDMI. The max resolution of the monitor is 1920X180, which is fine for general computer use and also if I wanted to use it as a TV or for PS3 or BR. But, if you were planning on doing heavy high-res graphics work on your computer that used 2K or 4K resolution, then you would need a monitor capable of providing that resolution. My Asus doesn't go that high, but I don't use my computer for high-res work so I'm fine. Don't listen to those people who are telling you that bogus data about TVs. They don't know what they're talking about.

CNET Forums