TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

tv vcr dvd help needed

by Crestain / February 27, 2006 10:42 AM PST

hello, we have dish network with a digital recorder. the dish cable gos to the dvr receiver then a coaxe cable to the vcr as per the dish instructions.then a coaxe cable goes from the vcr out to auxiliary on the back of the tv? its the only input i can get a picture with. the uhf/vhf input doesnt seem to work with the vcr?the dvd is connected to the tv via s cables to the inputs on the tv(older sony 52 in projection). i managed to get the vcr to play but not record and at first had no sound, then someone told me that using the auxiliary on the tv to connect another audio s cable from vcr to tv and i got sound but at a low volume that wouldnt increase?all the in jacks on the tv are used for the dvd .this is really frustrating, any advice to a real novice would be really appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: tv vcr dvd help needed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: tv vcr dvd help needed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
more info????
by jcrobso / February 28, 2006 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: tv vcr dvd help needed

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.
Please list all the inputs on your TV!!!!
RF, AV how many? ETC.
There are probably a couple of ways to do this. If your TV dosen't have a lot of inputs, you may need to get an external switch box. John

Collapse -
even model numbers might help
by sirroundsound / February 28, 2006 2:19 AM PST
In reply to: tv vcr dvd help needed

If your not sure about connections, posting model numbers can also help. There are always a few ways to connect a system, and knowing what in's and out's are available will help us help you.

Collapse -
thanks for the replies
by Crestain / February 28, 2006 10:15 AM PST

on the back of the tv there are two sets of video inputs #1 and #3 with one connected to the dish dvr box and the other to the dvd player and one other black cable that says s video from the dvd to the tv. the other tv connections are the uhf vhf, aux and one that says "to converter". then there are 3 inputs for moniter output and 2 for audio output both unused. the dvd is memorex and works fine and the new vcr is emerson that we just bought because we thought the other was bad when it wouldnt work.on the back of the vcr the coaxe cable connects to the video out on the dish dvr box then another coaxe to the aux. on the tv as stated before but its not right? thanks

Collapse -
vcr dvd switchbox
by Crestain / March 1, 2006 10:47 AM PST
In reply to: thanks for the replies

hello, you mentioned a switchbox. can someone help with what to buy and anything else id need?

Collapse -
coax switch
by sirroundsound / March 1, 2006 12:32 PM PST
In reply to: vcr dvd switchbox

In the first message, the post wasn't clear on what type and how many connections there were, and he was asking about using an RF modulator. So based on that info, I made a recommendation for someone with a TV, that only had a coax input.
Radio shack makes coaxial A/B switches that allow 2 cable inputs into only one cable plug on a TV.
If you are refering to the other posts, there also are Audio/video switches available that will allow you to hook up 2 (or more) pieces of equipment using RCA type connectors (audio/video). There are also boxes for S-video cables if thats what you are using. Heck they make boxes for just about any type of connection you can think of, keep in mind they start to get expensive.
Radio shack and most good audio/video shops should have a couple of models to choose from. If your system is being run from a learning remote, there are some that can be controlled by remote, others will require you to get up and manually switch your source.
What all this gibberish above means, if you have a TV with at least 1 audio/video input, you can connect many things to it, VCR, DVD, Cable box, game system, digital camera and others.

Collapse -
ooops..
by sirroundsound / March 1, 2006 12:42 PM PST
In reply to: coax switch

Sorry the first part of my last post was refering to another post from someone mentioning an RF modulator, thats the problem with answering too many posts in the same day.

Collapse -
thanks
by Crestain / March 2, 2006 9:49 AM PST
In reply to: ooops..

thanks for the help, i never thought about a switching box. ill check radio shack and see what they can reccomend.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!