TVs & Home Theaters forum

TV unable to receive local channels using set top antenna

by rox52307 / June 10, 2011 2:17 AM PDT

i've had my Samsung LNR238W TV for 5 years now and have enjoyed using it as TV, Computer monitor and DVD Display.

I recently had to cancel my Cable Network Service and planned to got with just using an antenna for local channels. Problem is, after going thru the setup process for "air" reception and memorizing channels etc. i can get no picture at all on any channel, just snow. one very faint picture appears from a non local channel (29 i think-can't read it).. i'm using a set top antenna_rabbit ears. Do i need something more for local programming?? Thanks for any suggestions !!

P.S. Computer Monitor and DVD functions still work perfectly !

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TV unable to receive local channels using set top antenna
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TV unable to receive local channels using set top antenna
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
by TWB404 / June 10, 2011 2:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
by rox52307 / June 10, 2011 5:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Tuner

I think i was misled when i bought the TV in 2006. i was told that it was ready for digital when it was available. i will look into getting a convertor or whatever is needed.

Thanks for your help in this.

p.s. the use of the rabbit ears antenna was for testing. i planned on a serious antenna later.......

Collapse -
Tuner ?
by rox52307 / June 10, 2011 6:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Tuner

I understood when i bought the TV in 2006 that it was ready for the digital signal when it was available. i guess that wasn't correct. i'll look into getting whatever convertor needed..

i thank you for your help !

Collapse -
by Dan Filice / June 10, 2011 8:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Tuner ?

Since your TV was once connected to the cable service, make sure that you've changed the settings on your TV menu to tell it not to look at cable and to "look" for TV antenna. If you haven't changed this, this may explain why your don't get channels.

Collapse -
still no soap !
by rox52307 / June 10, 2011 10:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Also...

The Samsung manual shows the steps in setting up for Antenna. this includes choosing a Channel setup between "Air", "STD", "HRC", and "IRC". i did choose the "Air" and then the Automatic Program to memorize the channels..nothing!..i getting convinced the problem is a lack of digital tuner..

Thanks again folks............

Collapse -
Digital Tuner
by Dan Filice / June 10, 2011 10:09 AM PDT
In reply to: still no soap !

As others suggested, you can buy a "digital box" to convert signals for TVs without digital tuners. When the new digital standard was adopted, there were rebates on the digital converter boxes. These boxes are still available either online or at Best Buy or Radio Shack. Check the functions before you buy. When we went digital, not everyone had TVs with digital tuners, and millions still don't.

All Answers

Collapse -
Just like the old days.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2011 2:28 AM PDT

Some locations get nothing. But RABBIT EARS are not the right antenna for today's OTA HD.

In fact, did you research OTA HD antennas?

Collapse -
HD Rabbit Ears
by PistonCupChampion / June 10, 2011 10:12 PM PDT

Often plain ol' rabbit ears are marked HD by the manufacturers, even if they have made no physical changes to them. So rabbit ears are fine for HD signals, especially if you live in an area with good clean signals.

Collapse -
Nothing beats having an antenna on the roof
by Pepe7 / June 12, 2011 2:40 PM PDT
In reply to: HD Rabbit Ears

FWIW, rabbit ears pale by comparison. OTA HD generally does not work well for the new broadcast standard since most do not have the clean signal you allude to.

Collapse -
Allude? Where?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2011 2:58 PM PDT

Pepe, maybe you meant to reply to someone else? It seems you want to dance.

Collapse -
I replied to PistonCup
by Pepe7 / June 13, 2011 12:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Allude? Where?

Rabbit ears with NTSC was a much more tamable animal than rabbit ears with ATSC. Before I could at least see a weak picture of the football game, but now it's a victim of the 'cliff effect'. Now sometimes even moderately strong signals aren't tuned in properly by the new digital tuners. An externally situated antenna is almost a must with the new standard.

Collapse -
Indoor vs. Outdoor
by PistonCupChampion / June 13, 2011 12:21 AM PDT
In reply to: I replied to PistonCup

I'm sure everyone knows that an outdoor antenna will work much better than an indoor one, but for some (many?) people, an outdoor antenna is either not possible or not practical. As far as who can receive good signal, it really depends on where you live. So...rabbit ears (and other indoor antennas) DO work for HD signals...and of course an outdoor antenna will work better if need be.

Collapse -
People do *not* know or assume this
by Pepe7 / June 13, 2011 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Indoor vs. Outdoor

Knowing the roof antenna is better than an indoor one is most certainly *not* common knowledge. [Agreed though, it's not practical for many.] What folks innocently but mistakenly assume however is, that their old rabbit ears should work like they used to. The ATSC standard stinks in this regard.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?