Computer Help forum

General discussion

tv-tuner problem

by doaf518 / March 13, 2008 10:28 AM PDT

i just got a tv-tuner, i put it into the white slot in the computer. when i go to device manager it says that it is working properly but i dont know how to use can i start watching tv on it.
if it amke any differnce i have a "WDM TV Tuner" with an ati driver.
can anyone help me???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: tv-tuner problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: tv-tuner problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just wondering. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 13, 2008 10:47 AM PDT
In reply to: tv-tuner problem

Do you have the installation CD? Does it have a user's manual?

Collapse -
Tuner problem
by smrtdrmmr / March 13, 2008 11:10 AM PDT
In reply to: tv-tuner problem

Your tuner should definitely come with some software that will allow you to watch TV on it. If not, you may be able to use Windows Media Center to do it (if you have Vista).

Collapse -
i have xp home edition
by doaf518 / March 13, 2008 1:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Tuner problem

and i didn't get any installation CD, all i got was the card to put in my didn't come with anything else

Collapse -
user manual
by doaf518 / March 13, 2008 1:45 PM PDT
In reply to: i have xp home edition

it dint come with a users manual either...

Collapse -
Sounds as useful as
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2008 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: user manual

A car with no keys. It's not going anywhere soon.

To make matters worse there is no make or model on the car.

Collapse -
another program
by doaf518 / March 14, 2008 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds as useful as

theres no other programs online that i can use to run the tv tuner ther has to be something...

Collapse -
Without make, model, (details)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2008 4:35 AM PDT
In reply to: another program

We can't get started.

Collapse -
where can i find it
by doaf518 / March 14, 2008 5:56 AM PDT

where can i find it??? on the chip itself or through the computer???

Collapse -
The box the tuner came in?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2008 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: where can i find it

Even if said box said Gateway, we can find out what tv card came with that model.

It would be a shame to find out you knew this all along.

Collapse -
universal software
by doaf518 / March 14, 2008 8:25 AM PDT

all i got was the card and thats it nothing else so basically if its not on on the card somewhere or if the computer cant read the name of it then I'm out of luck unless some genius out there knows how.

But what i don't get is shouldn't there be some sort of universal software that i can download online???

Collapse -
There is no universal software save...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2008 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: universal software

Something called the GEEXBOX. Too bad you didn't take hi-res photos and post them on photobucket or elect to tell all you can find on the chips and board (any characters and more.)

It's almost as if you don't want anyone to help you find out what it is. Sorry if that's not true but look at the number of posts and not a single detail about the board.

Collapse -
Take the card out
by anmor / March 14, 2008 3:16 PM PDT
In reply to: where can i find it

Check for make and model number, go to makers website download drivers and software.
Another option is to Google for Belarc Adviser and download, then install it. It should be able to pickup make and model for you.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?