Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

TV tuner hardware not found

by Luckyy / April 29, 2011 3:07 AM PDT

Help - I have a Dell computer running Windows XPS200; I can open media center & watch tv on my computer; all of a sudden, I now get a message that says: tuner not installed - no tuner hardware detected. I called Dell & downloaded & installed their ATI tvt2 wonder elite-internal analog ntsc tv tuner; but media center doesn't recognize it. What specifically do they mean by tuner hardware? Does that mean the ATI piece that is screwed in the inside of the tower? Is this something I can download from the internet? Thanks for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TV tuner hardware not found
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TV tuner hardware not found
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
"Windows XPS200"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2011 4:46 AM PDT

While I've never seen that model, the TV tuners may not be found if we forgot to install the XP motherboard chipset driver package. Hint? Dell.com, the service tag and look at the drivers for this OS.
Bob

Collapse -
tried to download
by Luckyy / May 1, 2011 7:47 AM PDT
In reply to: "Windows XPS200"

following your suggestion, tried to download that from the Dell download center; my entire system crashed, could not get internet. AT&T tech support came by today, got me back on internet, but doesn't know how to fix problem with tv tuner. Now I'm afraid to try it again, in case it crashes again.

Collapse -
That's a clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2011 7:52 AM PDT
In reply to: tried to download

If using Dell's own drivers specifically for this machine causes such trouble there is something truly amiss with this machine. Is there more to this story?
Bob

Collapse -
driver problem
by Luckyy / May 2, 2011 8:39 AM PDT
In reply to: That's a clue.

Bob, I have tried downloading the tv tuner directly from the Dell download center, and install it with the wizard, but it is not being "recognized" for some reason, because I still get the message "No Tuner Hardware found." Re the chipset driver package, is this something new that needs to be downloaded along with the tv tuner? By "new", I mean something that did not come originally with the unit? Because everything was factory loaded, I haven't had to download anything to do with tuners or drivers until now. The Dell tech support guy was not able to get the media center working -- even though it was a paid tech support call. That's annoying -- not sure who I should call next -- maybe the Geek Squad? Hate to spend $129.00 for a service call.

Collapse -
Let's say.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2011 11:41 AM PDT
In reply to: driver problem

Let's say the motherboard/chipset drivers are proper. Then I have to write the TV card is incompatible or dead.

At least we tried the chipset driver package so that leaves us with dead or incompatible.

I'm repeating advice here but the chipset driver package is required since to see such cards, windows goes through this driver.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.