Samsung forum

Rant

TV Tuner

by ahpa / October 11, 2014 4:38 AM PDT

My 60" Plasma TV, PN60F5300BF, after 8 mos. now is disrupting my over the air signal. I thought it was a problem with the tuner section. After 3 calls to tech(?) support, who I am not sure know there is a tuner section. I have reset, reconnected, etc. with the same results. Tech insists it is my system and my splitting the signal, this despite the fact it was good till recently. As a final test I borrowed a TV and inserted it into the loop in place of the Samsung. after 24 hrs with absolutely no disruption of the signal at any TV (4) I powered the Samsung with a connecting it to the antenna. the result was a signal disruption. what this means I do not understand, but it is not my system, but a problem with the Samsung. I decided to post this but am pursuing this in what ever way necessary to have Samsung own up to their responsibilities.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TV Tuner
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TV Tuner
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The problem is deep.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2014 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: TV Tuner

Since you are splitting and with cable companies changing their systems you may have a problem that involves more than one player. Have the cable company do a power level check at the TV.
Bob

Collapse -
Signal
by ahpa / October 11, 2014 8:00 AM PDT
In reply to: The problem is deep.

Did you notice the part where I removed the Samsung and replaced it with a different TV and had no problem over the next 24 hours?

Collapse -
Yep.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2014 8:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Signal

Some TVs have better tuners. That's a fact. I guess you could make it your reason to return this one. I thought you wanted to avoid that.
Bob

Collapse -
SAMSUNG SMART TV
by morganu2 / October 11, 2014 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Yep.

I have never had a problem with my TV getting on the internet to watch Netflix until recently. My TV is approx. 3 years old. I also switched carriers in August. Wondered if this was the problem My TV also says "network interference" try later when I go to the internet.
I called Samsung and they said they are having a tech problem and should be fixed within 24 hrs. They gave me a transaction # to give to them when I call back within 24 hours. The phone number if you would like to call is 1800-726-7864. Maybe enough people call we will get something done.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2014 12:34 PM PDT
In reply to: SAMSUNG SMART TV

I thought you were asking about the tuner/cable reception issue. The Netflix and apps problem is real, it's broken and a repeat of the prior failures.

Until Samsung decouples apps from their own servers, this will repeat.
Bob

Collapse -
tuner
by ahpa / October 12, 2014 2:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Yep.

Tuners may vary but they should work longer then 6 months. I would like Samsung to admit there is a problem with their tuner and honor their warranty.
Jerry

Collapse -
And here's the issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2014 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: tuner

Your cable company can eek down the power a notch, changes can happen in cabling but let's forget all that. Just let the maker's support know what you want and if they fail to honor the warranty move to the return counter.
Bob

Collapse -
No one listens
by ahpa / October 13, 2014 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: And here's the issues.

May I reiterate,
First - I am trying to watch BROADCAST TV, over the air, VHF/UHF antennae on roof, using TV's VHF/UHF built in tuner, cable co. 86'd 8 months ago not involved.
Second - Re: your comment to let the maker know, would that be by some other method then repeated phone calls and e-mails
If I knew were there was a return counter I would be there. Not at Best Buy, where it was purchased 8 months ago or any Samsung facility locally.
May I ask if you are affiliated with Samsung or simply a moderator for this site?

Collapse -
Probably just a loose connection
by James Denison / October 13, 2014 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: No one listens

the fitting on the TV circuit board may be loose and need to be resoldered. I've seen that happen on computer's PS/2 ports just due to the plugs in them being jerked one way or another and the solder connection comes loose, then intermitten problems happen. Also if RF connector (since open broadcast from antenna) bend the little wire nib on end of coaxial fitting to be sure it touches the side and makes more solid connection, sometimes that corrects it.

Collapse -
tuner or ?
by ahpa / October 13, 2014 6:36 AM PDT

Thank you for a reasonable possibility.

Collapse -
Even more trouble.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2014 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: No one listens

OTA tuners are a mess. No, no affiliation, just an electronics designer with some designs in cellular and more. You can find one TV fares better than that next and any small change by any transmitter may knock off one but not another TV.

Your splitters had me thinking you were on cable. So there it is, you have a product that's not working and time to start returning things that don't get fixed or work.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2014 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Even more trouble.

Where I live CBS dropped out on our old Sony. Works on the Samsung. Ain't that the pits?

Collapse -
returning
by ahpa / October 13, 2014 6:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Even more trouble.

I am really not up to packing a bulky, heavy TV to send to So. Korea at my expense and as I said it is past Best Buys return date. So there we have it, no recourse for a consumer. Thank you for your input. i will proceed to my local TV news station's consumer help.

Collapse -
I like your question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2014 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: returning

It's a good one as folk deal with OTA issues. In the past it was a little easier as a station would not just vanish but get snow and hard to tune in. The move to digital tuners upset a lot of folk and then we have the issue you brought up.

I know folk that want it to just work but with that splitter in there it's likely any maker will bow out. I probably upset you by chatting about this area but had hope you would try it without splits.
Bob

Collapse -
Splitters
by ahpa / October 14, 2014 2:50 AM PDT
In reply to: I like your question.

Bob, I have. Direct antenna to TV Rf in, ant. lead to amp to TV in, ant. to splitter, new splitter. At any point the only cause of consistent degraded signal is the Samsung. Have used the borrowed TV, a Vizio, for about three days without a problem. Reconnected the Samsung and it seemed better at first. It appeared it might be a loose connection where some type of ferrule on the male connector of the TV meets the cabinet. Not so, back to degraded signal. Now I am not a Technician, never took any electronic classes, do not understand the technical properties of circuits, but I have been playing at this for some 30+ years. I have dealt with cable companies' out sourced installers and trouble shooters, who did not know the difference between composite and component connections. I have built my personal systems with both good and terrible results. What I have learned is there is a certain logic that works. My logic is telling me now that if bad results only happen with one component inserted in the system, then that is the defective component. I find it hard to believe it when a Samsung tech cannot accept that.

Collapse -
Amp? I didn't catch that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2014 2:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Splitters

My dad was none of those either but was among the millions that went to radio shack to install the antenna on the roof.

Fast forward to now and today. With the changes come oddities in OTA (over the air) and folk wanting makers to come out and cure reception issues. I haven't seen one maker do that yet. I've see folk notice that one TV tuner may be better than the next so that's a fact. Also, OTA changing like you noted without you changing a thing in your setup is also a fact.

OTA is sometimes trouble. Can't seem to find support here.

Good luck in your trials.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?