Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

Question

TV remote does not turn TV and cable box on at same time?

Feb 19, 2014 4:38AM PST

Remote turns TV and cable box off at same time but not on. First time I press the remote for the Samsung 6350 the TV goes on. Second time TV go off and cable box comes on. Third time TV comes on and the cable box stays on. Any ideas why?

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Re: TV remote does not turn TV and cable box on at same time
Feb 21, 2014 12:17AM PST

Hi Nickjan629,

I would like to look into this further. In order for me to help you most accurately, please provide the complete model code for this device.

Regards,
HD Tech

- Collapse -
Model No.
Feb 21, 2014 3:33AM PST

Thanks for trying to help. The model No. is UN55F6350AFXZA

- Collapse -
(NT) I'd add the cable set top box too.
Feb 21, 2014 4:05AM PST
- Collapse -
Answer
The simple reason
Feb 20, 2014 5:14AM PST

The remote doesn't send the right codes. Many cable companies supply a remote that is programmable. Ask them how to program it.

If a Samsung remote, try 1800SAMSUNG or the one in your country.
Bob

- Collapse -
Remote
Feb 21, 2014 10:02AM PST

We'll give it a try, however everything worked fine when we first set it up. Didn't think we change any setting since then. I also saw another person on this site has the exact same problem. Thanks for giving it some thought.

- Collapse -
As you can guess.
Feb 21, 2014 10:05AM PST

Both cable set top boxes and Samsungs get firmware updates. And like a dance, all it takes is one maker to mis-step.

- Collapse -
Answer
Same problem. Sanyo never again?
Mar 11, 2016 7:49AM PST

I have the exact same thing happening with a Sanyo model FVD 5833 television. The Comcast remote turns on Comcast box, but not TV. Press it again, TV turns on, Comcast box turns off. Go around like a circle.

Additionally, this TV has gone faulty and does not consistently power-on at the same input. The input setting from the instructions do not work where you uncheck the inputs you do not want to use, does not respond.

Answer to this: Going to have to spend about $800. on a new TV and no Sanyo ever again. SONY and LG here I come, how you are better or at least functional on the control side.