General discussion

TV price tag info survey ( please give your input)

if you could walk into a retailer and see a short simple list of stats on the tag, what would you like to see and the most important to you?

example:
LCD
20,000:1 Dynamic contrast
1080p
120hz
24fps
4 HDMI's
IPTV

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: TV price tag info survey ( please give your input)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: TV price tag info survey ( please give your input)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
what I would really like to see

is black level measurements, but to hard to find for each model
and response time for LCD's also hard to find for each model

- Collapse -
Let me comment on response times.

There are (evil?) problems with response times. Here's a few of them.

1. It varies with the temperature. To really get down to it, you have to spec the panel temperature. Even from 60 to 70 F you should see another millisecond change. Folk that want to SPEC this may want the lowest numbers but that can lead to another problem.

2. A too low response time in the 1 or 2 mS range can cause flicker or other effects at the usual 60Hz rates. But you need those in 240Hz 3D panels! The good news is that the makers have figured this out. Your better 240Hz panels will run them at 240Hz and just show the same image 4 times to get back to 60Hz without the panel getting into trouble.

3. You also have to read how they measured the response time. The most common is full on to 1/2 way off. I've found one where they found that 70 to 30 gave better numbers so they used that.

This is only the tip of the iceberg on this area and proves that you can't buy on spec alone. You must see the display first hand.
Bob

- Collapse -
ok

Well response time is out anyways do to the lack of info on it, I am just wondering what is the most simple way to show the difference between the TV without really confusing people.

its just so crazy out there for the average consumer to pick out a TV now days.

I know the top three things for picture quality are:
Black level
Color saturation
and color accuracy

but how in the hack does anyone know how each TV rates on these things.

- Collapse -
Its very hard. Because the television industry has

made nonsensical stats like "dynamic contrast ratio" into the category that many people use to pick a TV. Meaning if you want to be realistic about your contrast ratio, you will get left behind by the insane "infinite contrast ratios" advertised by some manufacturers. Its sort of like the printer market. Nobody charges a reasonable price and includes includes cables or significant ink anymore because they have to compete with manufacturers that sell bare bones devices for 50 bucks and then gouge on the cost of ink and cables.

Some manufacturers will list static contrast ratio deeps in their specs if you really look for them but many don't So the best thing to do in my opinion is read reviews from reputable sources, and insist on playing with the remotes on TV's in the stores. if they won;t let you at least set the TV's you are comparing to a more subdued setting like Cinema mode then I'd go elsewhere. And lastly buy from a place that accepts returns with no restocking fees in case you get it home and are not satisfied with the way the TV responds in your environment.

CNET Forums

Forum Info