TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

TV panels

by stayclassySD / January 8, 2011 2:29 AM PST

I have been reading customer reviews on several televisions so I can get an idea of what others think before I purchase. I came across reviews indicating that many television brands use a "panel lottery" --which ultimately means not every television the brand makes uses the same type of panel in its class (LCD/LED/Plasma)? Long story short: They proceeded to mention something about an IPS panel opposed to a CN02 panel or a non-IPS panel. The brands they mentioned were Samsung and LG (Samsung UN40C6300 and LG 42LE5400). The TV they were looking at in the store had an IPS panel and when they purchased that same brand/model TV, they opened the box and found out their set had a CN02 panel.

My questions:
1.) Is this common to observe one thing and then purchase another?

2.) Based off his review, he said it made a big difference in the picture quality between the two panels- Does it really make a noticeable difference that ultimately makes you return the product and re-evaluate what you are really looking for?

3.) What makes one panel different from the next?

Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TV panels
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TV panels
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I couldn't find much info...
by ahtoi / January 8, 2011 3:20 AM PST
In reply to: TV panels

on CN02 (don't know what it is). I wonder if the technology inferior to IPS or is it just this company in China making crappy panels? I am no lawyer so I won't get into the bates and switch thing.

Collapse -
I looked around a little
by Pepe7 / January 8, 2011 3:43 AM PST

I believe the reference CN02 is a version of the panel used by Samsung in this case and not a separate technology, at least it's unknown to me.

Collapse -
Some degree of substitution may exist
by Pepe7 / January 8, 2011 3:34 AM PST

The real question is, what impact does it have on real world viewing experience? I guess I see it somewhat related to the mantra 'ignorance is bliss'. The vast majority of HDTV viewers watching their local cable or satellite feed may never notice such minute differences that more picky video aficionados may worry about constantly. Even the dreaded 'black level' issue was really not noticed by the masses until it started showing up in more prominent tech news feeds on the internet.

I actually found at least a portion of the review you are mentioning. We really need more specifics, and perhaps an extended discussion about what he saw under the hood. Personally, I don't think it's common with the better brands to move away from IPS panels.

That said, you run into less problems when you shop by sticking to major brands. Even the IPS (higher quality) panels are now made in China in various factories. Where things are made is less important than *how* they are made. FWIW, IPS panels are the ones with better viewing angles/more consistent quality. Just pop over to wikipedia for more of the dirty details regarding LCD panel technologies.

Collapse -
And what does it matter?
by Dan Filice / January 8, 2011 10:57 AM PST

None of us have control over this, so why lose sleep over it?

Collapse -
Thanks for the posts...
by stayclassySD / January 9, 2011 1:24 AM PST

Thanks for posting back to my questions.

The review I read made me curious to know what others think and/or have observed themselves. Unfortunately I do not have more specifics on the review that I came across, it simply made me wonder if what I am looking at in the store is really what I will be getting in the box. I was looking at both the Samsung 40C6300 and LG 42LE5400 and came upon the review commenting on their "panel lottery" issue.

Pepe7- Thanks for the briefing IPS panels. I am no video aficionado and you are probably right, I will not see a great difference if there is any at all. It's disappointing to hear that some big name brands change their hardware from TV to TV, hopefully it's not a common occurrence and Dan Filice is right- none of us really have any control over what shows up in the box. I for one will not sit there and argue with the salesmen and have him bring out every box until I find the "correct" TV.

Again, thanks for the posts. Maybe it's not a common issue but again, when researching the TV's you are interested in, coming across such review makes you wonder- is what you see in the store really what is in the box and if others are experiencing the same issues.

Any suggestions on a great 40inch TV's? I'm not trying to spend more than $1000. Thanks!

Collapse -
I didn't say that
by Pepe7 / January 9, 2011 8:10 AM PST

Re-read what I wrote. I stated that some degree of substitution may exist. This is not the same as saying that 'the major manufacturers do this'.

There's no need to open every box. Just go in armed with as much information and experience viewing various HDTV brands/models/content as you possibly can. And try to do your best research *away* from big box stores. Their viewing conditions are horrible.

Are you focused on LCD/LCD-LED or plasma?

Collapse -
Focused on..
by stayclassySD / January 10, 2011 4:47 AM PST
In reply to: I didn't say that

I would like to purchase an LED but I know there are many less expensive (probably just as nice) LCD/ Plasma TV's that exist. I'm looking for quality at the right price. I already have a 32 inch Sony M4000 and a 40 inch Sony V5100. I guess I'm looking for something more "visually appealing." I am content with what I have but I am looking for the finishing touches for the newly finished-basement.

Collapse -
Dark basement=plasma
by Pepe7 / January 10, 2011 4:55 AM PST
In reply to: Focused on..

I'd take Dan's advice on investigating a Panasonic plasma if you are talking about (generally darker) basement confines. If you go up the food chain/size a little more you can get a wonderful 50" Panasonic S2 in the neighborhood of $700.

Collapse -
TV suggestion
by Dan Filice / January 9, 2011 2:43 PM PST

Take a look at the Panasonic Plasmas. I recently bought a 42" Panny Plasma for my extra bedroom at Costco for $479 and it's stunning. Panasonic is one of the highest rated TVs. By the way, there is so much more that goes into a TV besides the panels that determine the quality of the TV picture. Don't get hung up on the panel issue.

Collapse -
Thank you
by stayclassySD / January 10, 2011 4:55 AM PST
In reply to: TV suggestion

Yeah I understand there is more to a TV than its panel. Again, it was an interesting point the review made- wanted to see what others thought / if they had an issue with it. I will take a look at the Panasonic Plasma's. I have heard great things about them and they are at a great price but I may be looking for something more flashy and appealing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Collapse -
By Flashy and Appealing
by Dan Filice / January 10, 2011 6:44 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you

Do you mean the frame and physical attributes of the TV, or the picture image? LEDs, in my humble opinion, are too bright, show colors too harshly and I personally don't think the black levels are that good. For a near-perfect picture, the Plasmas have it made. Also, I've had personal experience with the new LED sets, and while they are certainly bright (like a Jumbo-Tron TV), they have not solved the problem of pixel lag and pixel blur, which is due to pixel refresh rate. Plasmas do not exhibit this problem.

Collapse -
I have seen some pretty flashy system, but...
by ahtoi / January 10, 2011 12:54 PM PST

I have never seen a flashy tv/panel. I don't know much about decorating but maybe some nice curtain may do the job. What I really want to say is; it's not the tv itself but what's around it. Just my 2 cents.

Collapse -
That's how I shop for a suit
by Pepe7 / January 11, 2011 2:22 AM PST

I'd instead focus on things like overall picture quality, color accuracy, black levels, lag time, etc. Going with an LCD-LED HDTV just because it seems 'flashy' makes little or no sense. Get the one that delivers for long term viewing satisfaction(!)

I will reiterate- do your HDTV research *away* from the big box stores. Even if you do not end up actually purchasing from a mom & pop type shop, they are often much better places to see what's involved.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?