Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Samsung forum

General discussion

TV not turning on and out of warranty? Read this.

by eric61968 / January 17, 2010 1:41 AM PST

The common problems in this forum as well as others is the tv will not turn on, cycles on and off, takes a long time to turn on or the blue led and red power light flash simultaneously and sometimes will turn on if you wait long enough. Well, mine was the last problem mentioned. It died after the second time around. If any of these happen to your tv but you get lucky and it turns on DO NOT turn it off until you either fix it yourself or pay to get it fixed. More often than not it's the power supply gone bad. On top of that it's usually a couple small transistors on the board gone kaput. They are very easy to replace if you know how to use soldering iron. Spotting the dead ones are even easier. There are how-to videos all over youtube. If you don't know how to replace the transistors you can buy a new power supply for about $100 online. I had a hard time getting Samsung to send someone to fix it because they said it was out of warranty. I had a free 3 month extension because I registered it online. I had to fax them a copy of the receipt and that took them 2 days to attach to my ticket. This will be the last Samsung product I ever buy because their customer service is the worst I've ever had to deal with and I don't trust their products anymore. BTW, the tech who replaced the power supply wouldn't give me a receipt when I asked for one as proof he did the work. He said everything was kept in their computer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TV not turning on and out of warranty? Read this.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TV not turning on and out of warranty? Read this.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Preaching to the choir
by zeronyne / January 19, 2010 2:59 PM PST

There was a HUGE thread about this issue across their entire line of televisions. Many of us wrote to the BBB in Trenton, NJ. Suddenly, the thread is totally gone.

Collapse -
HMMM
by eric61968 / January 22, 2010 1:38 AM PST
In reply to: Preaching to the choir

Makes one wonder where it went to. I say that with a very sarcastic smirk on my face. My money is on it being killed by Samsung. I am so done with Samsung products.

Collapse -
is this the thread you are speaking of ?
by brokeplasma / January 22, 2010 12:38 PM PST
In reply to: Preaching to the choir
Collapse -
i asked for receipt too!
by brokeplasma / January 22, 2010 12:17 PM PST

first three times samsung sent a tech to my home to service my tv i did not get a receipt and last time i asked tech for receipt he said that there was "no receipt to give me". i have repair tickets registered online with mysamsung (http://www.samsung.com/us/mysamsung/main/myssMain.do) but samsung does not put any details about the repair when you click on ticket number, so i don't know how this could be useful if you needed it. it's sort of like if you brought your car to the mechanic for repair for say a brake job and a tune-up and when you went to pick up car and he handed you receipt it just had the shops letterhead and your contact info but everything else was blank !

Collapse -
Exactly
by eric61968 / January 23, 2010 2:10 AM PST

I thought it was just the company that fixed my tv that didn't give receipts. I so agree with what you're saying because I keep every receipt for anything $25 or more for at least 1.5 years and register everything on the manufacturers website if they have one. I will put the original receipt aside in a fireproof safe if warranty work is done on something along with the work receipt. It's so pathetic that they are having all these problems with the big lcd hdtv's and virtually no problems with their lcd computer monitors. I know that because I have two Samsung monitors. A 20 inch and 23 inch 1080p monitor and never have any problems. Well, here's hoping you get yours fixed correctly and we can get our receipts out of them. I'm calling them Monday to try to get mine. Have a great weekend.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!