HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

General discussion

TV issues: no sound

by BizzyBee1234 / May 16, 2010 2:07 AM PDT

I have a LN-R328W Samsung LCD TV. Recently I turned on my television and the TV displayed the setting STD 2 SAP. I am using a cable box. I then put in a DVD and then the picture appeared but no sound as well as when I plugged in my game system. The internal mute is not on and I really don't know what to do.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TV issues: no sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TV issues: no sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
TV issues: no sound
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 16, 2010 9:00 PM PDT
In reply to: TV issues: no sound

BizzyBee1234,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this problem.

So the way I read this is that there is no sound, regardless of the input. I don't know if this model has the same reset features that some of the more recent sets have, but it may be worth trying (unless your set is professionally calibrated, since what I'm about to suggest will reset the settings)

Try, with the TV on, holding down the EXIT button on the remote for about 15 seconds to see if you're prompted to (RESET?) and if you are, click YES and see if your audio comes back.

If that doesn't work, I might try to see if the audio out jacks on the back work. If you have a receiver or a small radio with an AUX IN jack, see if connecting that to an RCA cable works. If not, the board with the audio controls may be bad.

--HDTech

Collapse -
RE:No Sound and No Picture
by BizzyBee1234 / May 20, 2010 10:21 AM PDT

Well, I tried those suggestions and all of them failed. However, also I failed to mention the fact that we lack picture from our cable box (it is not the cable box because I switched the box with a working one and it still didn't work) well on the television. However, the no sound comes into play becuase oddly enough, when I watch a DVD, picture does appear but no sound. Thanks for the suggestions though- any solutions?

Collapse -
RE:No Sound and No Picture
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 20, 2010 12:38 PM PDT

BizzyBee1234,

Unfortunately, I don't have any further ideas. If it's happening with all of the inputs, it's likely a TV issue. If the reset didn't work, the best I can suggest is to have it inspected by a technician.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thank you
by eliza925 / July 12, 2010 10:42 AM PDT

Thank you for the tip of using the remote to reset the TV. I have an LN37A450. We were experiencing intermittent electricity delivery problems the last few days and the final outage appeared to knock out the sound for both the HDMI connected cable box and the HDMI connected dvd. Since the picture was still clear, I hoped there would be an easy way to fix it. I had the TV reset and sound restored within minutes. Many thanks!

Collapse -
Thank you
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 14, 2010 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

eliza925,

Great news. Thanks for posting back with your results.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.