TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

TV Help

by julian925 / June 3, 2006 5:52 PM PDT

Im having a lot of trouble picking out a TV.
I dont watch that much TV, so it will be mostly for PS3 with moderate TV watching and being able to hook it up to my macbook would be a plus, but not a must have.
So i need a TV that would be good for games. Im thinking my ideal size is 42" and hopefully with 1080p and price rang around 2,000.
Ive been looking at the Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK, which i could get for around 2,000. Someone was telling me that it didnt have 1080p? Has anyone seen this TV and know if its good, i know cnet loves it. And someone on another thread said Plasma isnt good for games?

I was also looking at Sceptre X42GV-Naga. But i cant find any review about that anywheres. Maybe someone here knows about it, cause it seem to good to be good.

Help would rock.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TV Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TV Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go for an LCD
by givemeaname / June 3, 2006 7:12 PM PDT
In reply to: TV Help

There is only 1 plasma that is 1080p & it goes for $10K, Pioneer PRO-FHD1.
Get an LCD, you will have no burn-in of the screen from the games.

Collapse -
what are some good lcd's
by julian925 / June 4, 2006 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Go for an LCD

and some good examples of these tv's are?

Collapse -
SCEPTRE 42" LCD
by BONSPEED / June 4, 2006 5:09 AM PDT

plasma are not typically very good for gamers because of the possiblity of having the static images in a video game burn in on the screen. the sceptre model you looked at is on sale at costco for $1999. i dont know much about sceptre, other then they make computer monitors, but costco's return policy is the best in the nation. try it, dont like it, return it.

Collapse -
yeah...
by julian925 / June 4, 2006 7:52 AM PDT
In reply to: SCEPTRE 42" LCD

im just thinking that seems crazily cheap for a native resolution of 1080...

Collapse -
Good Brand name one
by givemeaname / June 4, 2006 11:57 AM PDT
In reply to: yeah...
Collapse -
1080p, DOES NOT A GREAT TV MAKE.
by BONSPEED / June 4, 2006 1:00 PM PDT
In reply to: yeah...

first of all, i'm not endorsing the sceptre model, just stating that costco's return policy will allow you to try it risk free. second, your budget will probably land you somewhere between entry level and middle of the road model in the 1080p flat panel market.

finally, the current crop of 1080p hdtv can only accept 720p/1080i signals and converted to 1080p. any plans to connect them to the upcoming ps3/blueray equipment may have compatiblity issues.

Collapse -
back to square one on this i guess...
by julian925 / June 4, 2006 1:21 PM PDT

Im wondering if its worth the extra money for 1080P now.
If 720P that much of a downgrade?
Also, will TV's let me choose which one i want to use? cause most HD's support 1080i, but thats not very good for sports games cause it gets motion blur, or so ive been told.
So I guess Im back to peg one on looking for a HDTV.

42'' good quality and i guess ill live playing 720p, after all, ive been playing in 480i all my life.
I dont understand why plasma's would get burn in from games. Usually the screen is moving a lot, so why would it burn in?

Also, best 42'' HD's you know of through em this way.

Collapse -
HDTV WORLD........
by BONSPEED / June 5, 2006 5:31 AM PDT

all hdtv can support 1080i, but to display a 1080i picture requires 1920x1080 lines of resolutions. add a converter(deinterlacer) and you have the requirements for a 1080p hdtv. otherwise the signal, regardless, will be converted up(480p dvd) or down(1080i broadcast) to 720p, because fixed pixel displays only have one native resolution. cnet's hdtv world section is a good place to get hd basic info.

is a 1080p hdtv worth getting right now?

is 1080p that much better?

these qustions have resulted in some hot and varied opinions in this forum. in the end, a good hdtv is subjective to the individual. buy what you like, but do your homework first.

Collapse -
1080p
by sirroundsound / June 4, 2006 10:19 PM PDT
In reply to: TV Help

You can't get true 1080p from anything smaller than 50". The panasonic is a good 42" plasma. Burn in... if you plan on leaving your games paused for hours then yes this could become an issue, but even if you experience burn in, playing or watching something else for awhile will take it away. LCD's are nice but getting up to this size they get a lot more expensive, plus it is an on going argument over which really has the best picture. I prefer plasma for this size TV.
Good luck.

Collapse -
Burn in on games
by C_519 / June 5, 2006 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: 1080p

With games burn in can also be cause by static images such as a healthbar.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.