Samsung forum

Rant

TV flashing after firmware upgrade

by sgrutt / May 12, 2015 7:45 AM PDT

applied latest firmware to my 60" LED in an attempt to get DTV over antenna working.
Now the TV is flashing like crazy - totally unusable. Samsung support says no other firmware available - cant revert, and I am left with an unusable TV. I have to wait for and pay for a repair visit

This is totally unacceptable.

I've always been very happy with samsung, but I will switch to another manufacture because of this. I would discourage anyone from buying a samsung tv now. Below is the tech support chat if you want to follow:

Chat InformationPlease wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Daniel K'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Chat InformationYour Issue ID for this chat is LTK1125603881844X

Daniel K: Hi, thank you for reaching out to Samsung technical support. How may I assist you?

Steve: I updated the firmware to try to get over-air digital channels working, and now my TV is flashing. The firmware messed it up I think

Daniel K: I will assist you with the firmware update issue on the TV.

Daniel K: Is the TV not turning on?

Steve: yes

Steve: it is turning on

Daniel K: Okay, is it flashing on the TV picture?

Daniel K: Does this happen on all inputs (like DVD and cable box)?

Steve: right now it is not, but it was before

Daniel K: Okay, What is the model code of the TV? You can find the number starting with LN/UN/PN through Menu>>Support>>Contact Samsung. This information is also available on the rear or side of the TV.

Steve: UN60FH6003F

Daniel K: Thanks for the model code.

Steve: yes - it just started flashing again on both hdmi channels

Daniel K: Let us check the current firmware on the TV.

Daniel K: Go to "Menu>>Support>>Contact Samsung" to check the firmware on the TV.

Daniel K: You will find the firmware details in "Software version" section.

Steve: im there, but no version info

Steve: there is no software version info

Steve: just tells me to contact Samsung support

Daniel K: Okay, have you tried changing the HDMI cable for testing purpose?

Steve: Im testing on two different HDMI inpuits

Steve: when I upgraded, it said replacing.10 version with .4 version - I thought that was strange

Daniel K: I mean, have you tried with a different HDMI cable with which the device is connected to the TV.

Steve: ok, found the version under diagnostics

Steve: un60eh6003

Steve: software t-m9rfausc-10040

Steve: serial number h09x3cbda6210v

Daniel K: I see the model code of your TV is un60eh6003 and you may have installed the firmware of UN60FH6003F.

Steve: that's what it says on back of tv

Daniel K: Are you saying on the rear of the TV it is shown UN60FH6003F?

Daniel K: Please note the only difference in the model code is FH and EH. Please confirm whether it is EH or FH.

Steve: hold on

Steve: says FH

Steve: but diagnostics says EH

Steve: that might have been from firmware

Daniel K: Okay, I will provide you a link to download the latest firmware version of FH6003.

Steve: thank you

Daniel K: You need to download this file on the PC and then unzip it to a USB Flash drive. Then connect it to the TV to update the firmware.

Daniel K: Once you click the link, it will start downloading automatically.

Daniel K: http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=US&CttFileID=5387034&CDCttType=FM&ModelType=C&ModelName=UN60FH6003FXZA&VPath=FM/201303/20130325173349761/T-M9RFAUSC.zip

Daniel K: I will also provide you the link to download the PDF file which has the steps to update the firmware on the TV.

Steve: that is the same file I downloaded before

Steve: same date and file size

Daniel K: Could you send the image of the rear and of the diagnostic screen to our email address?

Steve: what is ur address

Daniel K: It is Livechat@sea.samsung.com and mention my name in the subject of mail. Also, keep the size of the image below 1MB.

Steve: ok

Daniel K: Yes, go ahead.

Steve: on the way

Daniel K: Is the mail sent?

Steve: 1st one sent, 2nd one sending

Steve: both sent - your name in the subject line

Steve: let me know when you get them

Daniel K: Okay, I will check the mail.

Daniel K: I have got the mail.

Daniel K: Could you give me a few minutes while I check the information for you?

Daniel K: Thank you.

Daniel K: I appreciate your time and patience.

Daniel K: I see the TV might need service. However, let us reset the TV to isolate the issue.

Daniel K: Please note that after performing reset all the settings will be reverted to factory defaults.

Steve: it was working gine before I updated firmware

Steve: where do I reset

Daniel K: Perform a hard reset of the TV by going to "Menu>>Support>>Self Diagnosis>>Reset".

Daniel K: The default pin is 0000.

Steve: ok

Daniel K: Yes, go ahead

Steve: its still flashing - I need the firmware that I had. Can you search on the serial number. The firmware upgrade is obviously wrong

Daniel K: Firmware of the TV depends on the model code of the TV.

Daniel K: Have you purchased the TV in US?

Steve: yes at best buy

Daniel K: Okay, I will provide you the link to file an online service request to get the TV serviced.

Steve: no, can you get me a list for all firmware version for the 6003 it was working, and now after upgrading, I have no TV

Daniel K: There is only one firmware i.e. 1004.0 for FH6003.

Steve: that is older than the one I had

Daniel K: Which firmware version did you had?

Steve: it was either 10 or 11

Steve: 1010.0 or 1011.0, I forget which

Daniel K: To roll back the TV to the previous settings, it need to be diagnosed by the service technician. You could file a service request from the link below to have the technician diagnose the TV.

Daniel K: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/request

Steve: is this a Samsung rep or 3rd-party, and is it covered or do I have to pay?

Daniel K: The TV will be diagnosed by a Samsung authorized service center and technician. Samsung provides a warranty of one year from date of purchase. You will need the purchase receipt with you in order to avail the warranty.

Daniel K: If the TV is in warranty service will be free.

Steve: this sucks. Your firmware download ruined my tv and now I have to wait and pay to have it fixed. I am totally unsatisfied with this response, and you can understand I will be making a lot of noise online about this poor quality and service

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TV flashing after firmware upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TV flashing after firmware upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Read buckeye's journey.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2015 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: terrible Samsung
Collapse -
Same issue here
by cr_mathews / June 23, 2015 10:29 AM PDT

I had the exact same problem with the exact same TV and it's now a brick. I chatted online with one support rep who pointed me to the download page, which doesn't have the latest firmware (which I believe is build 1012, not 1004). I subsequently talked on the phone with another support rep who said she would email me updated firmware, but emailed me the same link to the same page with the same version of the firmware on it. I was set up with an appointment for a technician, which was subsequently cancelled for me for reasons unknown. This is why I bought an extended warranty with the retailer. I'm typically a Samsung fan but my laptop has turned out to be garbage as well.

Collapse -
SOLVED! Hopefully Permanently!
by dmushail / June 25, 2015 6:13 PM PDT

Hi, I have the exact same model TV, I too have two different model numbers listed in the menu and on the sticker on back of the TV. I installed the 1004 firmware and had the exact same flickering issue. After some googling and playing around, it finally stopped flickering. What fixed it, I don't know but here is what I did:

1) Turn off the TV but keep it plugged in.

2) Now grab your remote and in this order hit "Mute" -> 1 -> 8 -> 2 "Power".

3) If done correctly, you should be in the service menu. If you don't see the menu, turn off the TV, wait a few seconds and try again. Its a bit tricky sometimes.

Be warned, the menu is a little sensitive, meaning; you can hit an arrow key and seemingly do nothing but upon reboot your TV is upside down. (Happened to me, will note fix below.)

Being that I don't know what exactly fixed the issue, I will post the most likely solution first and if that doesn't work for you then proceed to the next step.

4) Probably the solution: Navigate to CONTROL -> Sub Option -> Set Energy Star to OFF.

5) Press the "return" on the remote until you get back to the first menu.

6) Select OPTION -> Factory Reset (Will Delete All Settings).
I did the above Factory Reset after all setting modifications just in case.

7) Hope it works... If not, continue below.

Cool I don't know that this did anything but being that the TV is working, I don't want to change anything back. In CONTROL -> Sub Option, I set Watchdog to OFF. Again, this might not have done anything so if your TV is working with out changing this setting, then great! If someone knows more about this setting on here and recommends trying to turn it on, I will.

9) In case you accidentally changed something in the OPTION menu and the TV isn't working properly, or the above steps didn't work for you, here are the working settings I have in Main Menu -> OPTION. Keep in mind I take no responsibility for any errors, I am just sharing what works for me. Also keep in mind that the settings below most likely only apply to this specific model (UN60FH6003F).

In the OPTION menu (on main screen), I have following settings:

Type: 60H1AF0D
(This is what you would need to change if your screen was mirrored or flipped. The first two digits would indicate screen size and after that its a matter of trial and error.)

Model: UE6003
SVC Model: 6003
Tuner: SI_ATC2
Ch Table: None
Front Color: U-S-C-6K

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.