TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

TV buying nightmare

by a72645 / November 20, 2006 9:24 AM PST

I am searching for a new TV for almost 6 months now and have researched on this topic so much that I think I could hold a job in any appliance store without a problem. At first I thought I'd buy an LCD, because most sources indicated that this was the "future". Than I waited until the 1080p TV's came out and now I am more confused than ever:

Mission: Spend less than $4,000 for a flat panel TV for a dimly lit room, which is strong in two main features: a) sports in HD on cable TV and b) playing movies from my PC. I do not own or plan to own a DVD player, HD player and use my stereo as audio source, my PC as DVR.

Questions:
1) Plasma or LCD. I like the Plasma picture better in the stores, but will it work well with movies from the PC?
2) Will the 1080p make a difference when watching movies from the PC?
3) I am looking at LCD TVs: Samsung LN-S4695 and LN-4695. What is the difference between them? The Sony XBR is just too ugly and the Sharp's picture is not as good to my eye as the Samsung's.
4) The Plasma TVs I am looking at are: Panasonic TH-42PX60U, Pioneer PDP5016HD, Pioneer PDP-5070HD, and Pioneer PRO-940HD.

Any takers?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TV buying nightmare
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TV buying nightmare
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some Answers
by Dan Filice / November 20, 2006 11:04 AM PST
In reply to: TV buying nightmare

Answer to #1: Yes.
Answer to #2: No.
I can't help with questions 3 or 4. Sorry.

But, if you have the room for a slighty deeper cabinet, take a look at the Sony SXRD rear-projection TV. It's response rate is 4ms, which is faster than any LCD or Plasma out now, and this will be important when watching sports (fast motion).

Collapse -
THE SONY SXRD's ARE A GREAT SUGGESTION..........
by Riverledge / November 20, 2006 11:50 AM PST
In reply to: Some Answers

ESPECIALLY IF A FLAT panel is not an absolute requirement!!!
SONY says the rate response is even faster. 2.8ms., Not sure the human eye will ever detect the difference. anyway.........

river.

Collapse -
TALK ABOUT A LOADED QUESTION.......FIRST OFF, MANY OF US...
by Riverledge / November 20, 2006 11:19 AM PST
In reply to: TV buying nightmare

PREFER TO KEEP OUR Home Theater and P/C set ups separate. You're looking for a 1080p HDTV, but want to feed it with a P/C 480i DVD; why? I can't imagine how this look, but you asked. What type of DVD is in your computer? I don't think movies will look very acceptable from your P/C drive.

FROM your questions it sounds as though you'd be happiest with a 50" set. Eliminate the SHARPs and 46" SAMSUNGs.

CUT to the quick; I'd recommend either the PANASONIC TH-50PX60U or the more upscale TH-50PX600U, both are excellent for sports.

Collapse -
Some FYI on PC hookups.
by jcrobso / November 21, 2006 6:39 AM PST

Most PC based DVD player software is very good, they upscale the video to what ever your PC resolution is set to.
If your resolution is set to 1024x768 then that is what you get for the DVD video, etc.
I have some WMV-HD encoded DVDs that play at 720p or 1080p on a fast PC, with a good video card.
I hook one my PCs to my CRT-RP via DVI and watch them at 1080p/24, picture is excellent. This will work with VGA and DVI, I'm not sure how this would work with a DVI to HDMI converter. John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!