TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

TV Buying Advice

I'm in the market for a new TV and have spent several days researching TVs, both online and in stores. My budget is under $1000, which limits me to about 55 or 60 inches. I'm not totally sold on upgrading to 4K at this time -- I have another TV that will need to be replaced in a few years, and I am thinking that might be a better time to take the 4K plunge -- there should be more content, and I suspect prices will have come down.

That said, I've narrowed my list to the following models:

Vizio M55 C2 - $985 (55 inches, 4K, 4 HDMI inputs)
Vizio E60 C3 - $788 (60 inches, 1080p, 2 HDMI inputs)
Samsung UN55H6203 - $737 (55 inches, 1080p, 2 HDMI inputs)
Vizio E55 C1 0 $620 (55 inches, 1080p, 3 HDMI inputs)

My questions are -- are the two additional HDMI inputs and 4K capability in the M55 worth $300 more than the E55? And if not, than is the larger size of the E60 worth the tradeoff of fewer HDMI inputs and $150? And does the Samsung even belong on this list?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TV Buying Advice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TV Buying Advice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's check those charts...

In reply to: TV Buying Advice

Collapse -
All about the Benjamins

In reply to: Let's check those charts...

Thanks, Bob. I'll actually be about 9 feet from the screen, but my budget prevents me from going over 1K, which limits me to decent 55-inchers or the Vizio 60-inch.

If you think that the 4K upgrade wouldn't matter from that distance (which from all I've read I do agree with), do you think the extra 5 inches is worth having just 2 HDMI inputs?

Collapse -
I guess you must be a 20 YO fighter pilot.

In reply to: All about the Benjamins

No one I know can see the 4K/1080 difference at that distance. Did you check out the charts in the prior discussion?

As to HDMI ports. I have 3 and they are all used but I have a Roku, WD Live and Amazon Fire TV. If I need to I use a switch box.
Bob

Collapse -
No, just the 36-year-old son of a fighter pilot

In reply to: I guess you must be a 20 YO fighter pilot.

Yeah, I've read that and other articles that suggest there's basically no difference from that far back. Which is the main reason I had all but ruled out 4K. The Vizio one seemed like a bargain, though, so I thought it might be worth it. I'll probably end up moving it in a few years to a smaller room where it actually might make a difference.

So, throwing out the 4K option, any thoughts between the 55-inch Vizio and the 55-inch Samsung? The Vizio saves me $110 and has an extra HDMI port, but the Samsung is a Samsung, which suggests more reliability.

Collapse -
The thing is.

In reply to: No, just the 36-year-old son of a fighter pilot

Collapse -
...but is it a better TV?

In reply to: The thing is.

Personally, I couldn't care less about an ad on a Smart Hub page that I'll probably rarely use (I just use an XBox One for smart apps), if it's a better TV. That's really what I can't quite figure out.

Collapse -
Hit CNET reviews on both.

In reply to: ...but is it a better TV?

For me, Vizio loses since all Vizios in our family were dead in 2 years. Yes, out of warranty and replacements from the names are doing fine. Nod to Sam just for that. That does not mean you'll get 5 or more years.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.