General discussion

TV and Surround installation questions

Hello everyone. I'm wanting to set up my hdtv on the wall on top of my fireplace. I want to run the wires and cables through the wall and to my HTIB unit off to the side. I would like to install some sort of flexible tubing so I don't have to fish all the wires and cables one by one. One thing I've been thinking about is the possibility of the heat from the fireplace melting anything. The wires would run between the drywall and the chute for the fireplace. There is a 6-8 in gap there. It is a wood fireplace and I don't really use it often but don't want to have to worry about anything melting when I do. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there with this kind of set up so I would like to get any feedback as far as materials used and any good or bad experiences with this kind of set up.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions!!

Discussion is locked

Reply to: TV and Surround installation questions
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: TV and Surround installation questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
- Collapse -
I would not

What is a "chute"... You have the fireplace, fluke, fluke box & fluke cover.

Any way... For the install tubes & in wall wiring, you do that before you put up the sheetrock, your just going to end up hitting studs, power lines, nails, insulation or pluming.

- Collapse -
Follow up

I appologize if my terminology was incorrect. I was talking about the Flue, not fluke. I am in a townhouse and the fireplace wall jogs out into the living area. Creating small nook off to the side. I have fished some thread through there just to check clearances and there don't seem to be any issues with studs or any other interferences.

- Collapse -

If it does not get over 120? in there & you get in-wall rated wiring/cables you should be fine. For the tubing, PVC piping works good, 2" PVC is fairly flexible & that will help protect the wires from excess heat to a point.

If your not sure if it gets too hot from the fireplace in there & you have a wireless temp gauge put it in there, run the fireplace for a few hours as a test & see how it goes.

- Collapse -

I would certainly get some kind of raceway. If all else fails; there are a variety of surface mount raceways, that look pretty decent if you match the wall, and have a good path to run. You can even paint them. Most raceways have a temp rating. Keep in mind, you may be getting into code issues, if you don't own the dwelling. If you are not taking a ton of cable over; one or two non-metallic surface mount raceways could sneak along the edge, or near the roof; and blend in real nice. Take a trip to your local home Depot or Lowes, and take a look in the electrical department. Flexible non metallic tubing(flex), or "sealtight" would also give some movement behind the wall. Look at the surface mount channel(raceways). I used two pieces of non-metallic surface raceway to get my cables from the roof down to my unit years ago; and they stub down real nice. You can take corners and angle the surface mount stuff pretty good, and it is easy to put up and take down. A single one inch channel, might do it. The ones I am talking about are various size; but are square plastic channels, with a smooth snap on cover. Hope this helps.

- Collapse -
hide cables in Cable box

CNET Forums

Forum Info