Linux forum

General discussion

TV and All-in-Wonder - ATI

I have a pretty standard desktop with mostly plug-and-play linux software except my ATI vid card. It's an All-in-Wonder and it's just terrible in linux. Don't get me wrong, the card works well if you don't want the AIW features, but you're asking for trouble if you want the TV to work.

I've gone through TONS of docs and DAYS of man hours trying to get the TV(input) to work under a half dozen distributions, but to no avail.

It's an AiW 9600, so it's not new at all, but it's a heck of a card and Linux is a heck of an OS. Together, they make a heck a headache, though.

Everything points to GATOS, but I can't get it right(and I'm no newbie at linux). Does anyone have a secret to tell about the AiW? Does anyone have the card working AT ALL under Linux.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TV and All-in-Wonder - ATI
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TV and All-in-Wonder - ATI
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry, I have a Hauppauge.

In reply to: TV and All-in-Wonder - ATI

It's that 39 or 49 buck model and for years it's worked fine. ATI had many varients so I can't tell if that's the issue. Did you try PCLinuxOS?

Bob

Collapse -
Possible capture program

In reply to: Sorry, I have a Hauppauge.

I know that Ubuntu's Universe repository has a package from Debian called "gatos". Here is the description:

ATI All-in-Wonder TV capture software
The General ATI TV and Overlay Software (GATOS) suite for
capturing video. This package does not require kernel
patches, and includes:
* xatitv: GUI TV-in-a-window application
GUI access to all GATOS functionality, save tv-out.
* atitv: Simple text-mode program
Basic functionality to record video and toggle tv-out.
* atitoppm:
* atitogif:
* atitojpg:
YUV conversion utilities
* yuvsum: video field to frame converter
Averages all images in gatos.yuv (must all
be same size).
* atisplit: YUV conversion to ucbmpeg
This splits the output file for MPEG encoding.
This software is not intended to support most recent ATI AIW Radeon.

I don't know how recent "most recent" is, but this is probably your best chance for success considering that ATI don't support the AIW features on Linux.

Collapse -
I'm with Bob

In reply to: Possible capture program

I paid $43 US for a Leadtek XP2000 Expert (Really Hauppage 150). Works fine in Linux and XP. Except right now, just changed to 7MB cable broadband and not getting video in XP. Just fine-tuning. Works in XAW
in Mandriva. Good luck. chuck

Collapse -
Thanks for the help.

In reply to: I'm with Bob

I'm going to try the Ubuntu\Gatos package. Right now, I'm using XP.

BTW. If anyone needs help with the Windows \ New ATI AIW Drivers, I know exactly how to get it running, just post here email me.

Thanks,

Simon

Collapse -
ATI AIW 9600

In reply to: Thanks for the help.

Hello,

I also have an ATI AIW 9600. I recently installed Kubuntu 6.10 on my machine and would like to switch to linux full time. I can get all my other windows programs working through wine which is great, however I need to get my capture card working. Did you have any luck getting this working? I tried installing the ATI drivers for the card as well as gatos from the debian repos, but it doesn't see the card. Any ideas?

Collapse -
Same problem (ATI AIW 9600)

In reply to: ATI AIW 9600

I am also trying to get multimedia features to work on Linux with this card. I am very new to Linux (not sure where wine is). I would like to know what version of Linux would have native support for this card with multimedia functionality and where I can get a tv program with auto record ability. I use my card like a vcr to record programs when I'm at work and if I could find a way set it up in linux I'd be a full-time user. Right now I use Simply MEPIS, but there are many posts with people having trouble getting these two devices working together.

Collapse -
Working in Linux

In reply to: Same problem (ATI AIW 9600)

Mepis probably will work, I like the Kubuntu derivative because of its popularity (lots of support). I did find this guide that claims to make it work:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=46496&page=3
However it looks complicated and I don't understand what this line means:
Your graphic card driver must be Radeon ATI (Xorg modular 7.0 or 7.1) and not ATI fglrx!!

I'm not sure how to check that.

Collapse -
Working in Linux

In reply to: Working in Linux

Thanks so much. I'll be trying this soon if I can figure out where to type in the commands at. It does look complicated, but it is step-by-step, and more thorough than anything I have seen.
My ATI is a Radeon, so I guess I will have to find a Radeon driver somewhere.
This is the part that worries me:
ffmpeg is tricky to configure! you will have to adjust the make and cflags options according to your own hardware (CPU)!

Collapse -
re

In reply to: Working in Linux

I got rid of my ATI box and I don't remember which one mine is specifically. What is the ATI All-In-Wonder? Is it a Radeon? How can I find out?

Collapse -
It's a radeon, but...

In reply to: re

The very old versions are just All-in-Wonder 64 or 128, then ATI called them Radeons.

As for which distros have native tv input support, I don't think any Linux distributions do. Not even Geexbox. I hear that K\Ubuntu has a Gatos(ati driver package) specifically for the AIW, but I haven't been able to get it to work.

Your best bet for the ATI TV Input is on Windows. And that hardly ever works either. Wink

Simon

Collapse -
AIW on Linux issue

In reply to: It's a radeon, but...

I've given up guys. I didn't want to leave you hanging. So just to let you know - I give up. I never got anything to work right. I never even got to the "complicated" part of the install. I can't find and install the right packages to get the Radeon driver installed. I thought I did once, but then I got a bunch of errors on reboot (no desktop)and eventually reinstalled Kubuntu to fix that issue. I started again and never got any further than the first try. Unfortunately, I will be returning to Windows soon (XP not VISTA).

My AIW works great on XP, including recording TV with the ATI software, but it does have it's drawbacks. The system crashes if a scheduled record starts while a full-screen game is playing, but other than that it just has to be fully reinstalled about once every 3 months depending on use (that's how long the drivers take to become corrupt on my system with my "normal" use). I also have to be careful to use drivers from the CD, not the website, as many of those drivers cause ATI and/or Windows to crash randomly.

These issues, and other Windows issues, are what initially drew me to use Linux, but I'm now (sadly) convinced that this hardware is simply not fully functional under Linux, and there's no way for someone of my Linux knowledge to get it working right.
Sad

Collapse -
There are NEW distros out any day. PCLinuxOS and

In reply to: AIW on Linux issue

Mandriva should be out by mid Feb at which time you should try again.

Bob

Collapse -
New Linux Catalyst Control Center

In reply to: AIW on Linux issue

Collapse -
My setup...

In reply to: TV and All-in-Wonder - ATI

I run a AIW Rage 128. Because of it's age, and ATI not supporting it anymore, I had a heck of a time getting it to run under W2K, Linux was a bit easier. I used to run in Red Hat 9 with Myth if I remember right. After getting fed up with Fedora and switching to Ubuntu, it seemed a bit harder to get it to work. I ended up installing the Gatos package, and run it with the command line xatitv. Seems to run great. The only issue that I've had has been recording. No sound. But just today I thought that I might have forgot to hook up the aux sound....I'll have to check....Works great otherwise...Even has support for lirc (infared....Now there is a pain in the butt for you...)

Catchya on the Flip Side.....

Emerald Wolf -- runs Ubuntu - Feisty Fawn

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.