General discussion

Turning pictures into slideshows/movies with music.

I'm new to this site, so not sure if I am posting in the right place... I love taking pictures of my kids, and have lots of photos. Anyone know what program is the easiest to learn for making dvd videos from digital photos? I would like to make home dvd's and share with family... what program/hardware would I need. Thanks.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Turning pictures into slideshows/movies with music.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Turning pictures into slideshows/movies with music.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
ProShow Gold

This question has come up in the past and the majority of the posters listed:

ProShow Gold

http://www.photodex.com

You can download a free trial version.

It is the best slideshow program that I have ever used. Well worth the price.

You can use the Ken Burns feature to pan or zoom on a photo and you have total control of audio/music.

- Collapse -
Proshow Gold.

Just a second nod.

- Collapse -
digital photos to DVD slideshows

There is a free program from Microsoft called Windows Movie Maker. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/getstarted/default.mspx
You can make the absolute best DVD slide shows with music & transitions. It is an awesome program.
You need to have DVD capapabilites on your System and if you do, you will be making wonderful DVD's in no time. It is sooooo simple to do ... I can't say enough about it ... and it's free ! Good luck and post again if you need any help with it .....

- Collapse -
Slide Show Software

I agree with you about Windows Movie Maker being the best fo all from Movie s to Slide Shows, nothing to beat it and it is FREE to all

- Collapse -
Photo Story

Strangely enough, I had never made use of Movie Maker, despite its inclusion by default into Windows XP. I have experienced very pleasant results from Microsoft Photo Story 3, though. Here's a review, and exhaustive written story of Photo Story:

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/photostory3.asp

His download referral wasn't hyperlinked--here it is, for convenience:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/photostory/default.mspx

This program helps you assemble a pretty attractive slideshow for CD (haven't tried writing one to DVD yet). It includes some basic photoediting functions, and a wizard interface--ideal for quick creation or users with limited technical expertise.

- Collapse -
Windows Movie Maker

I have read some forums and I have worked with windows movie maker. I am completely done with my movie and ready to save it to a cd. I realize that I cant save it straight to a dvd, but it is not even letting me save it to a regular cd so I can record it to a dvd. I have asked several people, but nobody really works with it. This is my first project so I would really appreciate some help. I am making this for a christmas present so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much

- Collapse -
Which is why...

You see comments to use ProShow Gold from PhotoDex.com Try the demo.

Bob

- Collapse -
Easy to get your Movie Maker Project to DVD

Movie Maker (free) won't allow you to output directly to your DVD writer. But you can output your project to your computer's hard drive, then use Roxio MyDVD (or similar freeware DVD writer software that probably came on your PC) to take it from the computer to the DVD.

Piece of cake!

- Collapse -
Try Photo2DVD

I would also recommend Photo2DVD for making dvd slideshows. Very easy to use, and I think that should meets your requirements.

- Collapse -
Photo2DVD

What does Photo2DVD do that the free solutions do not?

- Collapse -
Pro Show Gold

Want to add music that stops with the slide show Pro Show Gold works better than most other programs here. You can also do higher screen resolution than most other programs do.

- Collapse -
turning photos into slide shows

One of the best litle FREE programs I have come across is FotoFlix.It is easy to use and you can use their music or your own. I use it in my blog and it does a beautiful jog. towerviews.blogspot,com

- Collapse -
U-Lead CD & DVD Picture Show 3

I have had good success with U-Lead CD&DVD Picture Show 3. It was easy for me to use and burn to a DVD, copy and send to our 4 children to play on any DVD player through their TV.
I needed more than the 300 photo limit with the Microsoft free program and I did not want to be limited to their proprietary program in order to play back.
I can't comment on the Pro Show Gold as I am not aware of it's limitations or features.

- Collapse -
Windows Movie Maker 2.1
- Collapse -
Pinnacle Studio

If you plan to use Windows Movie Maker and/or Photo Shop 3 you will have to buy third party software to create a DVD that can be seen on a TV. I know, since I made several slideshows with Movie Maker and was dissapointed when I found out that they could only be viewed on the computer. I had a lot of old movies and photos that I wanted to save to DVD to be seen on TV, so I invested some money in Pinnacle Studio Plus and a capture card for my computer (to capture the movies). I have created awesome slideshows and movies with music, sound effects, and video effects. I have also mixed photos with videos in the same presentation. It may not be free, but if you plan on doing a lot of projects, and you want versatility, it may be one way to go.

- Collapse -
Converting File Format

On your suggestion I have tried Movie Maker and like it Very much. It does everything I need and more. The only problem is the final file format. can this file be converted and saved to CD or DVD for use in a DVD Player that supports VCD SVCD and MPEG.
Thanks for your help
Davmur

- Collapse -
Windows Movie Maker ... A Nice Start

I agree that Windows Movie Maker provides a basic (and free) way to make a simple slide show. I believe it creates it as a WMV file, which can be viewed on a computer or, as you say, put on DVD using another DVD authoring program. ProShow Gold 2.5 gives you more control over the show and its audio, provides motion effects for slides, allows you to create a DVD directly from ProShow, and has a variety of other output options (including an .EXE file/autorun CD that will play on any computer). Other software (such as Adobe Photoshop Elements) may include slideshow software as a "bonus." Even my Sony digital camera came with a basic slideshow program. In most of these cases, the slideshow capabilities are very basic (although it's hard to argue with "free"!). If delving into creating slideshows revs up creative juices beyond the limits of these basic shows, the user will get more satisfaction by moving to a full-featured slide show program.

- Collapse -
Slideshows with music

I've been using comcast photo show deluxe (snap fish)with very good results. EASY to use with great features; captions, clip art, frames and effects. The music must be mp3 or their canned selection. You can even use two songs in the same show (much trial & error)

- Collapse -
Memories To TV

I am the 'semi-official' team photographer for my daughter's varsity basketball team. At the end of the season, I was asked to put together a video slideshow with music of the photos I'd taken over the year.
After checking out several programs, I chose 'Memories To TV' (http://www.codejam.com/motv.htm) to create the slideshow.
At a minimum, there are several programs ranging from freeware on up that will let you put together a string of images with a sound file playing in the background. What I like about 'Memories' is the variety of slide transitions you can use. 'Memories' was unique when I bought it in that it offered what they call 'Ken Burns' panning on images. Burns is a documentary film producer who would 'pan' across still pictures to make the presentation more interesting. 'Memories' lets you do the same panning, and adds the ability to pan and zoom on a particular slide. Once the show and music are done, you can burn a DVD in either PAL or NTSC, or even a VCD (Video CD) that will play on PCs and some home theater DVD players.
For the audio background, I used the free program 'Audacity' (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) to edit the sound files into shorter clips that fit the sequence of images. Audacity lets you do a 'fade-in, fade-out' on the ends of the sound clips you create, eliminating the jarring effect of just cutting from one song to another in mid-tune. Because the audio track and slides are on a timeline view, it's easy to synchronize the sounds with the visuals.
If I have any beef with 'Memories' it's that it's too tempting to use lots of different slide transitions, and the transitions overpower the images themselves. The variety of transitions is so 'gee-whiz' that you want to use them all in every show. Experiment if you want, but you'll find that the same two or three transitions repeated throughout your slideshow will be the most visually pleasing.

- Collapse -
Tell me too

Hi - I'm new too and will be looking forward to seeing the advice. I just recently tried to send an invitation with music that I produce with Powerpoint . Does anyone know the trick to that? There's an option on the pull-down menu, but I never quite got it. It worked on my computer but didn't translate. I got as far as saving the file onto my hardrive - instead of to a music library, and that helped. I tried "packaging" and that didn't work. Shame too, because it was nothing without the music.

- Collapse -
Pictures into slide show.

Try Pictures to exe at www.wnsoft.com its a shareware that allows you to make an executable slide show with lots of options including adding your own music. The resulting slide show will play on any computer..But not on a cd player.

- Collapse -
Pinnacle Studio Plus-9

The process...

I numbered, dated and identified ALL my slides many years ago but they have remained in their boxes and hardly seen the light of day since.

As technology progressed I saw the posibility to create a ''movie'' with the slides, so veiwing them would be more 'user friendly'.

Way back last century I started 'filming' to Digital-8 tape each slide for 5-seconds as it was displayed on a screen, without audio. I didn't have a scanner then either so photos were likewise filmed.

Next stage happened this year, to 'capture' to Pinnacle Studio Plus-9 then edit, add transitions, music, titles etc. I then sent the edited 'movie' back to the video cam and a fresh mini DV tape as a finished presentation and also made some VHS versions.

For DVDs I created the menu in Studio Plus-9, chapters etc and re-edited the start and finish, then burned to my first DVD.

The next stage will be to print a colour image on the DVD and sleeve-cover then the project should be complete.

Simple really!!!

- Collapse -
Simple Program

After trying many programs for presenting a slide show, I have settled on one called "MemoriesOnTV". It is very simple to use. You can drag and drop your pictures and music and run a preview in a few minutes. Try it you will like it.

- Collapse -
memories on tv

can this be burned onto a DVD if you don't have a
DVD burner?

- Collapse -
SWiSHpix
www.swishzpix.com ... lets you create flash slideshows from your images and can add soundtracks, speach bubbles, etc etc etc.
- Collapse -
oops .. web page wrong
- Collapse -
Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus

I have tried just about all of the programs available at one time or another and Pinnacle is my program of choice. I am currently working on several Travel Documentary projects with mixed media, titles, video, stills, music, overlays, ect. This program is easy to learn, easy to use, and has good documentation.

- Collapse -
adding music to movie

I know this will be very simple once I get an answer, but I am nearly kicking my dog over this. I want to add music to my slide show. I just installed Pinnacle Studio Plus and I cannot get music from my downloads onto the story board. I have a big project coming up and I sure would like to know how to do the simplest things at least. Just how do you download onto the movie? My dog thanks you.

- Collapse -
Memories On TV

I can highly recommend this program as others have with the ability to burn to DVD or CD and I always burn to CD as SVCD because it's better quality than SVD.

I have tried and failed with other programs to get my digital photos on TV but this one worked straight away with a nice clean screen and can be tweaked to your liking.

Does anyone know of a good in depth guide for this program to get professional results and how to streamline each project?? I'm sure this would help JPCODY4 and many others. You could also post your own guide here so we have some different approaches. Thanks!

- Collapse -
pictures slideshow with music! It's Great!

CNET Forums

Forum Info