Samsung forum

General discussion

Turning off TV turns off cable box

by wtrider60 / January 7, 2010 12:56 AM PST

I just purchased a PN58B860 and am using it with a Motorola DCH6416 cable box/DVR.
When I turn the power off to the TV it turns the cable box off completely. I have them connected via HDMI.
I need the cable box to go into standby so that recordings will still happen.
Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?
Thanks,
Wayne

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Turning off TV turns off cable box
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Turning off TV turns off cable box
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, I did.
by wtrider60 / January 7, 2010 1:16 AM PST

Yes, I turned Anynet off and it still turns the cable box off. If I understand correctly since the cable box is not Samsung it shouldn't affect a Motorola device, right?

Collapse -
One more idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2010 10:42 PM PST
In reply to: Yes, I did.

Unplug the HDMI and connect with component. Re-test. if it turns off, ouch, it's not what I thought but just the remote sending out the code.

Should be interesting.

Collapse -
Very Strange....
by wtrider60 / January 16, 2010 10:00 PM PST
In reply to: One more idea.

I ended up moving the TV and afterwards I decided to try again. I disabled Anynet+ and now turning off the TV does not turn off the Motorola DVR!
I know your thinking that I never turned it off in the first place but I guarantee that I did.
The only thing I can think of is there is a time delay between the actual disabling the function and when it actually takes effect? And maybe I didn't wait long enough before?

Collapse -
Samsung TV and DVR/cable box
by geriatricjim / April 3, 2010 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Very Strange....

I had the same problem. Over the last 6 weeks, I have replaced the box 4-5 times, TWC basically rewired the house...nothing. Yesterday they came and connected the TV to the DVR box as a component rather than the HDMI cable and it hasn't turned off yet. I used to have to re-boot the box 5-6 times a day. They brought some tech guy who said that Samsungs cause the box to power down for some reason..

Collapse -
Samsung TV and DVR/cable box
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 14, 2010 4:29 PM PDT

geriatricjim,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into that, but I'm not sure how the TV would cause the box to power down. If that's the case, you might try disabling the Anynet+ function on the TV. Anynet+ is our version of HDMI-CEC - consumer electronics control - and is compatible with other Samsung products. But it can also send a signal back and forth to the cable box.

If you feel like trying it, that may be a good place to start. If that doesn't fix it, it may be the box. I'd have know way of knowing definitively, and while the finger was pointed at us, I wouldn't be able to determine either way. But if the TV isn't sending a signal through CEC for the cable box, it wouldn't be able to "instruct" the cable box to do anything.

I hope that helps. Maybe worth a shot.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Same problem on my ln46c630
by jnicewc / May 17, 2010 12:11 AM PDT

I am having the same issue. I tried all of the above suggestions. Even when I manually press the off button on the set, it completely cuts the power supply to the cable box. I cannot even power the cable box on when the TV is off.

It is pretty frustrating considering that I bought the set less than a week ago and all the time I spent wall mounting/wiring it. I called Samsung support and they haven't been able to solve the problem as of yet. Any udates on other possible causes/solutions?

Collapse -
Dummies like myself BEWARE!
by jnicewc / May 17, 2010 9:20 AM PDT

The power strip they sold me at Best Buy was of the power saving variety. What i didn't realize was that there were three different outlets on it. A master, two that were controlled by the master and two that are always on. I had the TV plugged into the master and the cable box plugged into one that was controlled by the master. DOH!!

Check your power strips!!! Make sure the cable box is plugged into one that is always on.

I figured I would sacrifice my pride so that some of you may not suffer the fits of rage I have gone through trying to figure this out.

Collapse -
Jinkies you are brilliant!!!!
by Jay112500 / November 29, 2010 1:35 AM PST

I spent days trying to figure that out. Checked online, tinkered with the tv settings, called direct tv, etc. I'm glad you took the time to share your knowledge.

Collapse -
I could have spent a year....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 29, 2010 5:16 AM PST

jnicewc,

Brilliant indeed.

I could have spent a year trying to imagine that variable.

Thanks for posting. I've added it to my arsenal of troubleshooting tips.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thank you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2010 5:51 AM PST

I had one of those and didn't think they were that popular!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.