Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Turning off the computer with XP

by user429 / June 21, 2008 7:42 PM PDT

I have Windows XP on my computer. What is the most horrible thing that can happen to my computer if I turn off my computer by pressing the power button on the computer and not clicking Start, Turn Off Computer, Turn Off? Also what is the percentage chance that this horrible thing will happen if I simply turn off the computer by pressing the power button? Thank you very much. user429

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Turning off the computer with XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Turning off the computer with XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not recommended, but
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 21, 2008 7:47 PM PDT

if you do that, the system will power down/turn off as normal. It will not just "switch off" as it would if you unplugged it from the mains.

Why not go through the normal procedure?

Mark

Collapse -
To MarkFlax
by user429 / June 21, 2008 10:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Not recommended, but

To MarkFlax: You ask "Why not go through the normal procedure"? Bacause I would have to wait about 45-50 seconds before I could turn my computer off. This wait is a pain in the neck. I could turn off my radio or television set instantly. Why should I not be able to do this with my computer? user429

Collapse -
A computer is not a TV or radio
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 22, 2008 12:49 AM PDT
In reply to: To MarkFlax

TV's and radios have no moving parts and no dynamic operating system so to speak. They don't need to power down any disks, tidy up any system files, temp files, free space, save any settings, or anything like that.

A computer does. If you want it to keep working well every time you turn it back on, you will go through the procedures. If you want to risk it, turn it off at the plug every time. That will save you 45 seconds a day, or so. But make sure you have that spare hard disk handy, and your XP CD available to reinstall the OS once in a while when something fails.

45 seconds? Is your life so hectic, busy and full that you cannot wait 45 seconds to power down a computer?

Mark

Collapse -
Most horrible thing, you ask??
by Steven Haninger / June 21, 2008 8:57 PM PDT

Your PC may not restart normally or you will lose data that hasn't been written to disk.

What's the probability of this happening???

Try this yourself. In the middle of composing a document, abruptly power off. Do this over and over making a pencil mark on a piece of paper each time it happens. Once you've experienced a restart or data loss failure, you'll have a good idea of that probability. Happy

Collapse -
IF you configured XP to respond to that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2008 10:45 PM PDT

I have a few machines set to power down when we tap the power button. It's a proper controlled shutdown so nothing bad should happen.
Bob

Collapse -
To R. Profitt
by user429 / June 22, 2008 1:08 AM PDT

To R. Profitt: Could you please tell me specifically how to set my computer to power down when I press the power button to turn my computer off so that nothing bad happens. Thank you very much. user429

Collapse -
In short.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2008 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: To R. Profitt
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?