Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Turning off my computer which has cable

by grandpaw7 / July 16, 2005 2:31 AM PDT

I just switched from dialup to cable. I find that I can't turn off my computer by the usual Start>TurnOff method. If I want to save fuel, can I just turn off the power supply? Or what?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Turning off my computer which has cable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Turning off my computer which has cable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
2 things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2005 3:00 AM PDT

1. How is this a browser issue?

2. I know you know the usual "tell the rest of the info" requests. You have enough posts to know when you make a new post to tell about the OS and more. Here's that famous passage we all read with every post that some get upset with if you point it out -> "Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem."

Rather than post in this forum, why not post this issue in the forum you usually post in? They know you and may remember what you have and your other issues.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Now, now, Bob, be nice; after all, it's Sunday
by grandpaw7 / July 17, 2005 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: 2 things.
Collapse -
Suggestion
by Steven Haninger / July 16, 2005 8:20 AM PDT

Did you let the cable guy touch your PC? Did he put a disk in the CD ROM drive and install software? If so, get rid of it. You should not need anything on that disk to connect to their system. I can't say what's causing your shut down problem as you'd need to describe a bit better what happens when you select that option. You may also find clues in your event log if some program or service is not shutting down properly.

Collapse -
I'm wrong, and cable guy's software
by grandpaw7 / July 17, 2005 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Suggestion

Steven, well, I told my friend that when I clicked Start and Shut Down, nothing happened. He looked me straight in the eye and said "bullshoot". So if he is going to act that way, I'll just illustrate the problem for him. So, I went to Start>Shut Down, and my computer shut down.

It'll happen every time. I don't know why it didn't work before; maybe I just didn't waith long enough though now and in the past there is little waiting.

When the cable guy was installing my cable and setting it up, he got to a page that had the bottom part off monitor. He kept telling me "you've gone and changed the computer so I can't finish." About this time he stuck a CD in but I can't remember what came up on the monitor from the CD. Anyhow, he had to get in touch with his technical people; it seemed like all he got from them was a password but anyhow he was able to get the font size reduced which solved his problem.

The only problem now is that he done gone and changed my computer so I can just barely read it. Fortunately, I've had this problem before and the good people at CNET took me by the hand and learned me how to solve it.

Thanks, Steven, for your helpful input. grandpaw

Collapse -
Much too long a way to say
by grandpaw7 / July 19, 2005 7:58 AM PDT

it's working ok now. grandpaw

Collapse -
Have had cable for 6 years
by gearup / July 18, 2005 6:24 AM PDT

and have never experienced that problem. Can tll you if you turn off the electricity it resets the mnodem when it is turned on again. Not a good practice.

Collapse -
The problem was in my brain; my computer will shut down
by grandpaw7 / July 19, 2005 8:03 AM PDT

But after reading your post I have quit turning the power off at my surge protector and now turn power off on my devices individually, except for the modem. Is this a proper way of dealing with the problem you mention? grandpaw

Collapse -
It really is with your brain?
by taboma. / July 19, 2005 11:49 AM PDT

We talk about this subject at work. We all go through it from time to time. Not really listed in the medical books.
Grandpaw, we suffer from a disorder known as CRS!?
Also known as Can't Remember Sh_t!
Hope this info helps you.
You are not alone!

Kevin

Collapse -
Thanks, Kevin, for the lift.
by grandpaw7 / July 19, 2005 12:46 PM PDT

Sometimes, all a body has going for him are other people with the same problem. It ain't a cure, but it is a palliative. grandpaw

Collapse -
The lift
by taboma. / July 21, 2005 1:46 PM PDT

Grandpaw, I thought you would get a chuckle out of it.
I told my friends at work about our post. Everyone laughed. We all go through it! CRS.
Creeps up on you without a clue. And than it happens! BAM!!
Can?t Remember Sh_t!
Hope you solved your switching and computer problems.
What was your original post about!? :

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?