Computer Help forum

Question

Turn on my computer and the monitor won't turn on

by lostsoul65 / May 13, 2015 2:58 AM PDT

I have an Intel E6550 Dual which is 7 years old. It's been setting around for about 6 months and now the monitor won't turn on. I bought a new Video card, tried 2 monitors with 2 different connections, took the RAM out and re-seeded it. The power supply turns on. So is there something else I can try or that I'm missing. Otherwise I will just junk it but wanted to post before I did.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Turn on my computer and the monitor won't turn on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Turn on my computer and the monitor won't turn on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you replace the CMOS battery?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2015 3:04 AM PDT

It's a dollar part that on some machines when it gets too low won't let the machine boot.

When the RAM and video card is out, does the machine beep in protest on power up? (no need for keyboard, display or drives for this test.)
Bob

Collapse -
No Beeps
by lostsoul65 / May 13, 2015 3:59 AM PDT

No Beeps, could it be the cmos?

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2015 4:07 AM PDT
In reply to: No Beeps

But it could be that battery. Did you get out the Volt meter? How many Volts?

Since it's a buck or two, many folk replace it and hope. Some folk don't think it's worth trying.
Since I'm in an office where we do design work, I get out the Volt meter and know in seconds.
Bob

Collapse -
No volt meter
by lostsoul65 / May 13, 2015 4:20 AM PDT
In reply to: No.

Thank you for your input. However I worked in Silicon Valley for 20 years, build over a thousand computer and I can't remember ever using a volt meter. I'm retired for 12 years and that's why I'm posting.
I'm guessing but when I turn on the computer there is no sound coming from the motherboard or hard drive. Even with a dead or removed cmos there should be some sound when the power is turned on. My fans in the case are working. I'm wondering if I just have a dead motherboard?

Collapse -
So no classic HDD spin up?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2015 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: No volt meter

That could tell us the +12V rail is blown. Another fine example where a Volt meter can nail what's up.

Since you can get it to power up, before the power up, unplug the data cable to the drive and leave the power connection. Same for the ODD. I test such when I didn't bring the VOM by listening to the HDD spin and the DVDRW drive eject button test (both require no mainboard to operate.)

Yes the fans are working but given many PSUs have more than one 12V rail, a rail could be blown.
But as you are an old hand, I only write as a reminder.
Bob

Collapse -
No HHD spin - DVD has power
by lostsoul65 / May 13, 2015 4:56 AM PDT

No HHD spin and even change the power input to the known good HHD - DVD has power - So could that be a bad motherboard?

Collapse -
But did the DVD eject work?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2015 5:07 AM PDT

Sorry but it's a little cheat to avoid the VOM or swap the PSU test. The HDD not spinning is a bad sign but I could take the HDD to a known good PC to connect power and see.

No, I can't diagnose it with just what's here. You're missing the VOM so we can't nail it.
Bob

Collapse -
The problem here maybe to find THE motherboard...
by Oldartq / May 13, 2015 5:51 AM PDT

at a good enough price to make it worthwhile, assuming that is the problem.

Collapse -
So everything is so automated, hehe.
by Oldartq / May 13, 2015 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: No volt meter

Just replace the modules. That's how I do my trouble shooting...just replace them (process of elimination, so call), even though I have an voltmeter.

Collapse -
Just replace the modules
by lostsoul65 / May 13, 2015 6:15 AM PDT

Just replace the modules. What does that mean? If your talking about the motherboard that means you scrap a 7 year old computer.

Collapse -
I see where Old is headed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2015 6:40 AM PDT

If we don't have the VOM, we are left with swapping modules, boards and such because we can't nail it with a reading. I tried to work around the missing VOM but no answer to my question so I have to bow and give in to start swapping parts.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!