Desktops forum

General discussion

Turn it off , or leave it on?

by FreddyCoupler / November 26, 2004 7:59 AM PST

I have gone through about 5 PC's now, and usually because out dated. / With the newer computers I really believe its best to leave PC on and use the "stand-by" or sleep mode when not using it for longer than 3hours. The only time I turn off, is if I am not going to be using it for longer than 48 hours, or for a Update-restart. Not good for the hard drive to shut it off and on/ will shorten life. / hope this helps. Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Turn it off , or leave it on?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Turn it off , or leave it on?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Turn it off , or leave it on?
by EnriqueFreire / November 26, 2004 8:25 AM PST

I think that leaving the PC "asleep" or in the stand by mode is the same as shutting it off. It would be better to leave in the "always active" mode so that the hard drive wont have to wake up and recover each time you move your mouse. That will strain it and shorten its life as well.

Collapse -
by computquest / November 26, 2004 8:42 AM PST

Harddrive failures I have seen involve wear. So I think not running it more than necessary is the better option.

Collapse -
by v61s6t0g / November 26, 2004 3:53 PM PST

I turn mine off when not in use. This is for two reasons -
1.To save risk of damage of components due to heat build-up, and shortening of the life of the processor fan and others.
2.To reduce electricity use which mounts up over time.

My computer is a Windows 98 2E on 56K dial-up.

Collapse -
by computquest / November 26, 2004 9:54 PM PST

Those reasons are good. Semiconductors have a limited life span, and heat shortens their life. Computer monitors sometimes fail if they do not have enough ventilation as well. Microprocessors have the same problem too.

If a computer draws 100 watts, that adds up to about 4 dollars per month if run continuously at about 8 cents per kwhr. I also have only dial-up, I even use the high speed for $5 more per month because it loads pages faster and it lowers stress on internet servers, I think.

Collapse -
by spiritgirl / November 26, 2004 10:19 AM PST

I've also heard that to leave it on was better for the computer. The expanding and contracting of the chips and boards wears them out faster. I've used the same computer since 1998 and I believe that its lasted because of this.
Eva Lumby aka

Collapse -
by JTHunter / November 26, 2004 12:35 PM PST

Why waste the electricity? If you aren't going to use it for at least 3 hours, turn it off! The only condition I would make is do NOT turn it on and off frequently. The repeated surges coming on, the temperature changes as the MB heats up and cools down are what are detrimental to the circuitry. The longer the hard drive is running, the more likely for some part, especially the bearings and actuator arm, to fail. If you will be using the computer within 3-4 hours, then put in stand by. If more, shut it off. Your computer need "down-time" (sleep) just like you do.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.