HolidayBuyer's Guide

Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

turn DSL off

by bently / September 26, 2004 3:22 AM PDT

Just installed router for added firewall. (only one computer) Using win xp home.

I was able to delete the SBC icon I used to get online, just have to click on Mozilla or MSIE icon to go online.

However I no longer have the twin monitor ICON at bottom right of screen that indicated I was online.

1. CAN I get the twin monitors back to show when I am online?

I do not like to be online if I am not actively surfing the net, so...
2. How do I go OFFLINE now?

Do I power off the DSL modem, or the router?

Thanks

Ben

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: turn DSL off
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: turn DSL off
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: turn DSL off
by Coryphaeus / September 27, 2004 9:30 AM PDT
In reply to: turn DSL off

1.) To get the monitors back, do this.

Click Start, Settings, Network connections. Right click the Local Area Connection, click Properties. On the first window that pops up, put a check in the box marked "Show icon in notification area. . ."

2.) Unplug either the modem or router.

Collapse -
Re: turn DSL off
by bently / September 27, 2004 1:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: turn DSL off

Thanks Coryphaeus

Modem had on/off switch, I will switch it off when offline.

Ben

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.