Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Turkey visitors to my yard (I think)

by Angeline Booher / March 30, 2005 4:53 AM PST

Yesterday afternoon there were 4 members of the fowl family strolling around next door. As they came closer, I thought, "wild turkeys". Or were they pheasants?

The day before I thought I had heard what sounded like "gobble, gobble" for a couple of minutes. Sure, I said to myself.

I think I saw the red wattles (?) on two. I did not see any spread/fan their back feathers.

I went in to get a camera. When I came back out, they were in my yard. They allowed me within a couple of yards. After posing for a while, three sort of jumped to the top of the fence, then to the ground. The fourth acted confused, and kept walking up and down the fence, making a sound a couple of times. So, to get his/her adrenalin going , I walked closer. He/she then spread its wings and flew over the fence to the other side, then soared til it was out of my sight (maybe just to the far side of the yard, which would be nearly 300 feet.

(They were well over a yard long. Big fellas!)

Wild turkeys or pheasants, it was fun to see!

Angeline

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Turkey visitors to my yard (I think)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Turkey visitors to my yard (I think)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have a couple of very large clutches here
by TONI H / March 30, 2005 5:46 AM PST

of wild turkeys.......the females are all over the place with babies waddling everywhere. The babies will jump through the square wired fence to eat bugs on this side and the mothers get into a frenzy calling them back. My neighbor (property lines are connected) has 'adopted' every one of them and goes crazy when he finds one dead in the road from a vehicle and has made me promise that nobody will ever hunt them on my land.

Because of that promise, the clutches get larger and larger every year (I wouldn't kill them anyhow), and there are times when I pull out of here with my vehicle and find thirty-fifty of them at a whack come flying overhead from one bank on my side of the road to the bank on the other side. The whole sky goes black waiting for them to get gone......

TONI

Collapse -
I didn't know what a bunch...
by Angeline Booher / March 30, 2005 6:08 AM PST

..... of wild turkeys was called.

I also didn't know they could fly. That one yesterday looked like a big hawk sailing through the air.

Do you think they have taken up residence somewhere along the river bank (it's steep), and that we will be having some young'ns, too?

Do you know if they migrate? If not, I suspect that there is some more clearing of the land not far away.

Another neighbor down the street saw a beaver swimming. A goose with a broken wing took up residence on their back porch. They are feeding it. They called the wildlife agent, who said to leave it alone, but who could? A blue heron stays close by.

Geese are around in season. A couple of times over the past month I heard what I believe was a shotgun on 2 separate days. Because of the river it's hard to tell from which side they came. I just hope the culprit is caught.

Angeline

Collapse -
flying turkeys
by JP Bill / March 30, 2005 11:15 AM PST
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly

The above quote is from the famous ?WKRP in Cincinnati? episode where Station Manager, Arthur Carlson (played by Gordon Jump), arranged to have live turkeys dropped from a helicopter as an advertising stunt.

Wink
Collapse -
Priceless!
by Angeline Booher / March 31, 2005 1:32 AM PST
In reply to: flying turkeys
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Amazingly great tv show. :-)
by Cindi Haynes / March 31, 2005 5:09 AM PST
Collapse -
That was funny show, and episode, but
by Roger NC / March 31, 2005 6:14 AM PST
Collapse -
yes, Roger, WILD turkeys do...
by Cindi Haynes / March 31, 2005 6:44 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Right. Domestic turkeys, probably wings clipped.
by EdH / March 31, 2005 6:47 AM PST
Collapse -
turkeys/pheasants
by Cindi Haynes / March 30, 2005 6:16 AM PST
Collapse -
We've had over 20 at a time in our yard some days.
by EdH / March 30, 2005 7:43 AM PST

The morning before yesterday there were about a dozen out there in the fog. I was very critical of the dog sleeping through the whole thing. What if they had been terrorists?

Collapse -
Get domestic geese
by TONI H / March 30, 2005 7:47 AM PST

They're extremely territorial and will let you know every time a mouse runs through the yard let alone anything else. Whereas dogs are unpredictable just because they get used to their environment most times and will ignore nearly everything that doesn't seem like a threat to them personally. Geese want the whole ball of wax regarding property and will attack just about anything, including humans, on a regular basis.

TONI

Collapse -
domestic geese
by munishmanuindia / July 3, 2015 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Get domestic geese

There are three domestic geese that have been coming on my patio and eating my dog's food and drinking his water.

Collapse -
Oh my...
by Willy / March 30, 2005 8:19 AM PST

You got turkeys, we got some vultures that have returned. They not on my property but they sure do get themselves noticed. When they fly around, they're not some little fellas, that's for sure. On top of that they roosted in our small community abit. Sure, they're around until they gone it seems, but why in the last 5-6yrs. they seem to really concentrate, I just don't know. Also, we some red-tailed hawks plus some blad eagle(s) as well. All these rather large raptors tend to make my cat very warlily at times. Happy It a beautiful sight to see a mature blad eagle waffling around. A trukey around here may not last after the hunting season. adios -----Willy

Collapse -
Willy -- Do you celebrate the return of your vultures
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / March 31, 2005 2:44 AM PST
In reply to: Oh my...

the way Hinckley Ohio celebrates its buzzards? (Or are they really the same thing?)

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
I saw...
by Angeline Booher / March 31, 2005 7:07 AM PST
In reply to: Oh my...

...,,,, my first vulture about 5 years ago. It was attracted by a possum that was road kill.

Lots of hawks around here, too. (I don't know what kind.)

About 10 years ago an eagle captured a small pet poodle from its yard. The owner saw it happen, and knew where the aerie was, and was able to save his dog.

There has been so much destruction of the natural habitat that foxes are coming into neighborhood. I think the same loss of habitat is why the turkeys came.

Angeline

Collapse -
it's stork time over here
by jonah jones / March 30, 2005 11:47 AM PST

all going north after a "winter" in the south (africa), also a lot of flamingos who are not too sure which way is north Happy

jonah

Collapse -
I've seen ...
by Angeline Booher / March 31, 2005 6:00 AM PST
Collapse -
do you have any children?
by Mark5019 / March 31, 2005 6:45 AM PST
In reply to: I've seen ...

if the answers yes thats who brought them to you:D

Collapse -
Yep!
by Angeline Booher / March 31, 2005 6:58 AM PST

Both in their 40's. One lives 1,000 miles away, and I live in an apartment at the home of the other.

Just came to me.... if I had had a child at 18, I could conceivably be old enough to be the mother of anybody here up to the age of about 55. Happy

Angeline

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) But would you want to claim us all?
by Roger NC / March 31, 2005 7:07 AM PST
In reply to: Yep!
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Hmmm. ...Food for thought. :-)
by Angeline Booher / March 31, 2005 7:11 AM PST
Collapse -
Now That You Mention it...
by Rolway / March 31, 2005 7:25 AM PST

I have'nt seen any wild turkey or pheasants around this year. Lots of Deer and Coyote. Must be the Coyote is getting them. My land backs up to what the Town designated as a Wild Life Corridor and its full of Deer, Turkey and pheasants that come down from the Forest. Noticed this year theres a lot of coyote running around. I'll have to look into this and maybe shoot those coyote that stray on to my land.

George

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?