Laptops forum

General discussion

Turion ML-37

by beabuy / March 25, 2006 5:28 PM PST

hi All,

I have an HP DV5000z, with a turion ml-37, which runs at 2.0 gHz. Something peculiar happens when I right click on My Computer and select properties. Sometimes the processor speed comes up the correct 1.99 gHz, but at other times it shows 1.59 gHz. This happens totally randomly as far as I can tell. Anyone know why this happens? And I know it's not a bug in my machine, because this is the second dv5000z I have, the first one I had to send back because of a bad screen, and that one did the same thing. Anyways, anyone know why it does this? thank you.
Zoltan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Turion ML-37
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Turion ML-37
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It'a about power saving.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2006 8:29 PM PST
In reply to: Turion ML-37

The issue annoys many and may have to go away in future designs. Nothing's broken here and it has to do with it scaling back the clock speed when it can.

Bob

Collapse -
still does it when on external power
by beabuy / March 26, 2006 8:26 PM PST

thanks. i though that might be it, but if that is it, then why does it still do it when running on external power? i.e. not battery?

thanks,
zoltan

Collapse -
Exactly.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2006 9:10 PM PST

This is a nutty area where they may have to patch it up to prevent such calls to the service desks. Nothing busted or wrong, just how the chip saves power and thus cuts the amount of heat generated in the laptop.

The really sad points here is that I'm not that eloquent in explaining this and the makers don't make any attempt at all.

If Windows measures the chip speed and it happens to have been napping, the speed measurement is lower. Fix? Ignore it since it's working as it should be.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!