General discussion

Turbo Tax (Intuit)

FYI/ beware: by there own admission (today, 1/23/09) in online chat w/ their rep), Turbo Tax has compatibility problems w/ Vista, and will not work at all w/ vista 64 bit systems. There is NO expected solution date even anticipated. I have used Intuit products for more years than I can remember, w/out issues. I am disappointed, but now forced to return the product and try another.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Turbo Tax (Intuit)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Turbo Tax (Intuit)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Vista 64 wasn't on the list.

"# Operating Systems:

* Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4
* Windows XP (32-bit) Home/Media Center Edition/Pro with Service Pack 2 or higher
* Windows Vista (32-bit) Home Basic/Home Premium/Business/Ultimate
* Administrative rights required"

I don't see XP 64 either. Why should they fix this?
Bob

- Collapse -
Attitude: why should they fix this?

Update: I went to delete Turbo Tax w/ intent to purchase and install other tax software. MS gave me the option to "delete " or "fix". I chose fix (knowing that MS Vista techs have told me it will run 32 bit programs). Now it works: apparently MS (whom we abuse on a regular basis) put this in for programs running on 32 bit platform? I'm NOT a "Techie", but am appreciative that it works. I guess I should let Intuit know that MS solved the problem for them.
Oh, and why should they? Because 64 bit systems are not new at all, nor are they extreemly uncommon. they have been available for several generations of MS OS now, and are part of the environment that Intuit works in. Although I took no poll, I would see the average 64 bit system user as more apt to do his/her own taxes than someone who bought an off the shelf 32 bit sys. Stating that, it's also true "that you can't be all things to all people".
Responding as someone that appreciates that somethings in "Vista" actually work well. Have a great God given day.

- Collapse -
Let me be blunt.

They lied.

I've been lied to many times about Windows (insert versions here) and program compatibility. There appears to be no change in tune and all we can do is check on this stuff ahead of time.

HP and other makers will supply Vista 32 or even XP install media if you call their bluff.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info