Phones forum

General discussion

Tungsten E - audio with no user replaceable battery?

by gillises / January 16, 2006 2:01 AM PST

I use my Tungsten E for everything. It's quickly approaching the 2 year mark, and I have a 2-year service contract through Staples. I have never had a Palm last more than 2 years, so I've always gotten the service contract which has provided me with the amount I paid to put toward a new one. Not a bad deal, actually, since it's allowed me to upgrade regularly and never have to deal with the battery replacement issue. However, this Tungsten seems like it's going to last forever (or at least outlast the service contract, which ends in March). I am starting to worry because the battery life is ok for PDA use, but not so hot when I use it for audio. I am fast becoming an audio junkie, and I like to use my Palm since I always have it in my purse. I can listen to music, audiobooks from Audible, podcasts, whatever. Ever since I discovered this feature of my Palm about 3 months ago, I am using it much more. I know this is putting a huge drain on the battery and now I'm wondering if it would be wise to purchase a separate mp3 player if using my Palm for audio will end up forcing me to have to replace it. Anyone else out there been using a Palm a lot for audio? How has the battery held out? I'd appreciate some advice. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tungsten E - audio with no user replaceable battery?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tungsten E - audio with no user replaceable battery?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2006 3:31 AM PST

My Palm IIIC looks like it needs a battery but still works but for about 1/2 the number of hours (was 8, now 4.) The unit is 5 years old.

I have it in my cradle here still for testing software I write for the Palm, but my new Palm which has replaced my IIIC is the T|X.

I can't explain why I get so many years.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks - I think it's the audio
by gillises / January 16, 2006 5:40 AM PST
In reply to: Just sharing.

Thanks for the info. Did you often use your IIIC to play audio? It seems like that's what really drains the battery so quickly. The T/X is on my wish list for my next model, so if m y TEdies before March (which I doubt), I'll get one. I hear its batter life is much better. Otherwise I will hang in there and get all I can out of my Tungsten E. I don't see myself paying to replace the battery when I only paid $199 for the whole unit.

Collapse -
The IIIC didn't have such a capability. Can I ask?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2006 7:28 AM PST
Collapse -
I know it can, but it's not something I can do
by gillises / January 16, 2006 10:00 AM PST

Thanks for the link, but the part is sold out. I've found it at other sites, though. My problem is that I don't have the tools to solder, nor do I know how to do it. Plus there's the torx kit to purchase to get the casing open. I'm not so good with tools...I wouldn't want to spend the money for the tools and the battery, only to mess it up.

Collapse -
I think you can do this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2006 10:33 AM PST

The torx set is just like using a screwdriver. If you can change a lightbulb, you can do this step.

The solder work is also on the simple side. Here's some links.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+solder

The battery goes in and out of stock and ... even with buying the torx set, solder iron kit (radio shack?) and the battery if your PDA is dead/unusable due to the battery it's a low risk operation.

In parting, I think it's a grand skill to pick up and if not, start dropping hints to your friends you may need to get some wires soldered. Someone you know will likely be a soldering wiz.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!