HolidayBuyer's Guide

Phones forum

General discussion

Tungsten E 126Mhz Processor Vs. Dell Axim 300Mhz Processor

by jlfang / February 12, 2004 12:24 PM PST

I know the Intel and ARM processors for the Axim X3 and the Tungsten E are different, but how much faster is the Axim's 300Mhz processor?

Also, is there a noticeable difference between the Axim's 300Mhz and 400Mhz processor?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tungsten E 126Mhz Processor Vs. Dell Axim 300Mhz Processor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tungsten E 126Mhz Processor Vs. Dell Axim 300Mhz Processor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Tungsten E 126Mhz Processor Vs. Dell Axim 300Mhz Processor
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2004 10:19 PM PST

"I know the Intel and ARM processors for the Axim X3 and the Tungsten E are different, but how much faster is the Axim's 300Mhz processor?

Also, is there a noticeable difference between the Axim's 300Mhz and 400Mhz processor?"

I'll write not much. I've seen more than a few PALM units and a fine example of "speed" is that the CPU is rarely the bottleneck. I have a program that I'm working on for Palms and I have two units that I compare the results on all the time.

- Palm IIIc at 20MHz
- Treo 90 at 33MHz

For my application, these two units turn in the same time within 2 percent.

I could write about the Axim, but such issues abound in the PDA world that memory access times can throttle the fastest CPU.

In short, you can't use that as a prediction of speed for a given application.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Tungsten E 126Mhz Processor Vs. Dell Axim 300Mhz Processor
by jlfang / February 13, 2004 12:18 PM PST

All things being equal, meaning they both are running similar or same programs, which one is faster? I know it seems like comparing apples and oranges, but I am looking for a speedy device to pull up records from an Excel spreadsheet.

Collapse -
It's simpler than you think.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2004 2:06 AM PST

The faster unit is faster.

You'll have to TEST or BENCHMARK the units in question. I offered my Palm pair as a glaring example that CPU MHz didn't mean which would win.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Tungsten E 126Mhz Processor Vs. Dell Axim 300Mhz Processor
by vosg / March 19, 2004 12:20 AM PST

A Palm device at 126 MHz can run faster than a Pocket PC on 300 MHz. Don't forget the Palm OS is far more efficient than anything Microsoft comes up with.

Collapse -
Re:Tungsten E 126Mhz Processor Vs. Dell Axim 300Mhz Processor
by Baby Huey / March 27, 2004 9:57 AM PST

I've tested a 6000 cell Excel document on both the Palm 71 and a Dell 3xi and the Dell beats the Palm hands down. I don't believe this is due to the speed but the time it takes Documents to Go to translate for the Palm. On the other hand, the Dell has Pocket Excel installed and it is very quick using the Find/replace
option. This was just a phone directory, not a heavy function spreadsheet for your comparison.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.