General discussion

Tufenuf....will that link you gave fix this problem?

Missing file
by Graeme Tearle - 4/14/10 5:10 PM

When I boot up my XP powered ASUS laptop, I get an error message box:-

"C:\WINDOWS\svchost.exe

Windows cannot find C:\WINDOWS\svchost.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. To search etc........"

Clicking "OK" reveals another box:-

"Desktop.

Could not load or run C:\Windows\svchost.exe specified in the registry. Make sure the file exists or remove the reference in the registry."

Clicking "OK" continues to a successful bootup. It's not a major problem, just a nuisance, but I would like to fix it.

Please be very specific, I'm new at this.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Tufenuf....will that link you gave fix this problem?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Tufenuf....will that link you gave fix this problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Tufenuf....will that link you gave fix this problem?

Bump

- Collapse -
Someone else had same issue heres a link
- Collapse -
Re: Tufenuf....will that link you gave fix this problem?

Graeme Tearle, I have no idea of which link or fix you're talking about.

Tufenuf

- Collapse -
LEts take a quick look

Well the error you stated says it's running from C:\WINDOWS\ the file if it was the actual real file should be at the System32 folder. What you had was probably a virus or trojan that was removed but you still need to remove the hijacked registry keys or correct them to the real actual file.

This is where we have several solutions.

1) You can download Advanced system care - Its a free maintenance tool that corrects invalid registry keys amoung other things. I would try this first since it is the most simple fix.

2) You can List you RUN registry key values or take a screen shot and photobucket it so I can see what your run keys are, Then I can tell you what is causing the issue.

3) If both the above don't resolve your issue, I can use a program such as teamview, remote into your computer and shift through the startup services and registry keys looking for this beast. I of couse, would not remove anything without your permission and would expect you to be watching what I am doing while inside your computer.

5) We can run fromt he cmd prompt sfc /scannow - You will need your OS install CD. This will not install the OS again but check it for errors.

4) If still you are unable to resolve this issue, we can use the restore media that you should have for your computer. This would normally check for OS related errors or restore your computer back to factory settings.

- Collapse -
Heres a link to download advanced system care
- Collapse -
svchost

Thank you.

I have downloaded and run Advanced System Care. It found a heap of problems, but did not fix the fault.

Alas, I do not have the installation disk.

- Collapse -
McAfee

Hey, maybe I should just sit tight & see if McAfee's disaster produces a fix?

- Collapse -
McAfee

This is the first time you have mentioned McAfee, but if you have it installed and it has updated recently, then this could well be the source of your problems.

McAfee have issued a fix. Have a look at the link below for details;
http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100969

Hope that helps.

Mark

- Collapse -
McAfee

I don't have McAfee Mark, but this is the file that McAfee's update corrupted, so maybe their fix will fix my fault.

- Collapse -
svchost

No.

The more I look at it the more it won't help. McAfee's update corrupted svchost. I don't have a corrupted svchost or my computer would not run. I have s spurious entry in the Registry that looks for a svchost in Windows, when of course it's in System32. I need to get rid of that entry, right?

- Collapse -
If it is indeed a virus

CNET Forums

Forum Info